Re: [Arkitect India] Facts reflecting on Namo

  • manish jain
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013
      So far the debate has remained confined to Gujarat massacre and fundamentalism and role of Congress and BJP in it. We obviously need far more nuanced analysis that includes other aspects and widens the terms of debate. Some of these are discussed in the following article from Tehelka Hindi. Irrespective of our political position on fundamentalism and its causes, we need to debate about what constitutes development, leadership, crisis and vision of a democratic and egalitarian India, and how to achieve that.

      The link is:

      On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Pankaj Jain <pjain2002@...> wrote:
      Growth of fundamentalism is a very complex phenomenon. It could be reasonably argued/ established that retaining article 370 for Kashmir, and setting up Minority focused programs would give rise to competitive fundamentalism, while the opposite thesis too could credibly be promoted.

      It is impossible to establish that RSS's activities contribute to the rise of fundamentalism any more than the activity of 'secular brigade' or of devout followers, so on this count, one's biases inevitable shape analysis-judgment.

      Pankaj

      From: Pankaj Jain <pjain2002@...>
      Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [Arkitect India] Facts reflecting on Namo

      Will some body like to clarify/ confirm the errors-distortions in the following narrative.

      As an ordinary citizen, how is one to make sense of political posturings of supposed non-political commentators, except to seek clarifications about the facts.

      Pankaj

      Recently, India's most well-known film script-writer Salim Khan (actor Salmaan Khan's father) has said to a senior journalist in an interview: "Does anyone remember who the chief minister of Maharashtra was during the Mumbai riots which were no less deadly than the Gujarat riots of 2002?

      Does anyone recall the name of the chief minister of UP during Malliana and Meerut riots or that of the Bihar CM when the Bhagalpur or Jamshedpur riots under Congress regimes took place?

      Do we hear names of earlier chief ministers of Gujarat under whose charge, hundreds of riots took place in post-Independence India?

      Does anyone remember who was in-charge of Delhi's security when
      the 1984 massacre of Sikhs took place in the capital of India?

      How come Narendra Modi has been singled out as the Devil Incarnate as if he personally carried out all the killings during the
      riots of 2002?"

      No speck of doubt about what Salim Khan has said.

      When one says Gujarat's agriculture growth is 10-11% since whole last decade
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says he made the Asia's biggest solar plant,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says Gujarat is the only state in the whole of India to provide 24*7 and 365 days electricity to almost all of its 18,000
      villages,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says - World Bank's statement of 2011 said, Gujarat roads are equivalent to international standards,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says Gujarat is the first State in country to have "high speed wireless Broadband service in its all 18,000 villages,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says Forbes Magazine rated Ahmadabad as the fastest
      growing city in India and 3rd in the world,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says Gujarat Tourism is growing faster than ever before,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says according to central govt's Labour Bureau's report, Gujarat has the lowest unemployment rate in country,
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When Narendra Modi is being chosen as the best current Indian leader in
      almost all surveys & polls again and again
      The other says 2002 Riots!

      When one says 2003-2013 are the only 10 straight years in Gujarat history which are totally riot-free,
      The other STILL says 2002 Riots!

      But when we remind them about riots which occurred during Congress and in Communist Party rule :

      1947
      Bengal....5,000 to 10,000 dead ...CONGRESS RULE.

      1967
      Ranchi....200 DEAD..........CONGRESS RULE.

      1969
      Ahmedabad...512 DEAD........CONGRESS RULE.

      1970
      Bhiwandi....80 DEAD.............CONGRESS RULE.

      1979
      Jamshedpur..125 DEAD......CPIM RULE (COMMUNIST PARTY)

      1980
      Moradabad...2,000 DEAD...CONGRESS RULE.

      1983
      Nellie Assam.....5,000 DEAD...CONGRESS RULE.

      1984
      anti-Sikh Delhi...2,733 DEAD...CONGRESS RULE

      1984
      Bhiwandi....146 DEAD....CONGRESS RULE

      1985
      Gujarat.....300 DEAD..CONGRESS RULE

      1986
      Ahmedabad......59 DEAD.....CONGRESS RULE

      1987
      Meerut....81 DEAD...CONGRESS RULE

      1989
      Bhagalpur......1,070 DEAD......CONGRESS RULE

      1990
      Hyderabad......300 PLUS DEAD....CONGRESS RULE

      1992
      Mumbai....900 TO 2000 DEAD....CONGRESS RULE

      1992
      Aligarh....176 DEAD.....CONGRESS RULE

      1992
      Surat.......175 DEAD.....CONGRESS RULE

      2002 Riots:
          : Around 1000 died, not 2000 or millions.

          : Hindu dead were around 20%

          : The State-wide riots were brought under control in 4 days, and army called on the first day itself.

          :  The riots were triggered as reaction to horrific burning of 57 innocents.

      they become totally deaf ..................because they have no answer.

      Congress is a government of hypocrites.

      The youth of India says:............

      We are not interested in 2002, We are interested in 2022"

      --
      Manish Jain

      Assistant Professor
      School of Educational Studies
      Bhart Ratna Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University
      Sector 9, Dwarka, Delhi- 110077
    • Pankaj Jain
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 17, 2013
        Dear Shamsul Bhai,

        I am glad that you have come to a position of holding most major political formations, Congress, BJP, and now SP too, in India as equally culpable with regards to the practice of secularism, so none of these is to be commended-accepted-rejected on this important criterion. Our support or opposition to these should, therefore,be based on consideration other than secularism. I hope you will stop writing about lack of secular tendencies of Hindutva formations.

        There is no hiding from the terrible historical legacy of atrocities by socio-economic elites in India against SC/STs in the past, but no political-social formation now supports that in principal, and their practices have sharply declined in most parts of India, particularly in urban India, after independence. I am not a member of any organization which you term as Hindutva organizations, so I have no inside knowledge, but as an ordinary citizen, I have seen casteist tendencies being practiced more, or as much, in the Cangress, or non-BJP parties as in so called Hindutva formations. The record of RSS/VHP in working of ST is simply exemplary and BJP has had as many important leaders of SC, as other leading political formations, except BSP.

        You and most other political opponents of Hindutva formations keep alleging, by selectively quoting some statements, that they do not believe in multi-religious, multi-cultural, multi-lingual nation that India is, but this simply is not true, and is clearly based on biased reading of facts. Anyway, I and most Indian oppose any formation that is opposed to multi-religious, multi-cultural, multi-lingual nature of Indian nation.

        I, hope that you will see that we really have almost identical views. Still, it is perfectly fine for us to have different political preferences. Even Advani ji and Modi ji have different political perception, so there should be no problem in us having such differences.

        With best.

        Pankaj

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2013

          FACT SHEET

          ·                     In 10 years 60,000 small scale industries have been closed down.

          (source: Director, Department of Economics and Statistics, Government of Gujarat.2011-12   )

          ·                     Gujarat ranks 5TH  in F.D.I.

          (source: Director, Department of Economics and Statistics, Government of Gujarat. & Report by reserve bank of India.2011-12   )

          ·                     The state’s total debt was less than Rs 10,000 crore when the BJP first came to power in Gujarat in 1995. Gujarat’s actual debt has mounted from Rs 45,301 crore in 2001-02 when Modi took over  to Rs 1,38,978 crore on December 30, 2012.  The debt would mount to Rs 2,07,695 crore as per the state government’s budget estimates by 2015-16.

           (source: Director, Department of Economics and Statistics, Government of Gujarat.    & Gujarat assembly question hours2011-12 )

          ·                     Gujarat is at 8th position in agricultural growth. Gujarat is never achieved 10% growth in Agriculture sector. As per Government of Gujarat’s own statistics from year 2005-2006 to 2010-2011, growth in GSDP in Agriculture and Allied sector is 3.44% only-not double digit or 10%.

          (source:Gujarat economics and statastics department, govt. of Gujarat And Times Of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ahmedabad/Gujarat-ranked-8th-in-agricultural-growth-Centre/articleshow/20040305.cms?intenttarget=novia @ArchiveDigger)

          ·                     In Gujarat VAT on fertilizer is 5% it is highest in India

          (Source:Ministry of agriculture, Gujarat,2010-11)

          ·                     In Gujarat 26 districts have 225 blocks in which 57 are dark zone blocks. (Source:Ministry of agriculture, Gujarat And annual report Narmada nigam, 2011-12)

          ·                     455885 Applications are pending for agricultural power connection as on March, 2011

          (Source:Ministry of agriculture, Gujarat,2011-12 )

          ·                     Close to half of the states children under the age of 5 (44.6 %) are known to be suffering from malnutrition. 70 per cent are said to be anemic while 40 per cent are underweight.

          (Source:planning commission report-2012-13)

               In  8 districts and 3 Talukas of Gujarat, 2494 teachers posts are vacant.

               In 4 dist of Gujarat, approximately 978 schools are running with only 1 or 2 teachers.

          (Source: RTI filed by Vinod Pandya GOG reply to RTI, 2011-12)

          ·                     Health expenditure by Gujarat fallen down from 4.25% in 1990-95 to 0.77% in 2005-2010. Gujarat occupied second position from bottom in terms of allocation of health in state budget. .

          (Source:planning commission report-2012-13 and National Health Profile  - Central Bureau of Health Intelligence)

          ·                     Gujarat ranks 20th (the bottom) among the 20 major states in the percentage of women with severe anaemia.

           (Source: human Development report of the year 2011-12)

          ·                     Gujarat ranks 15th in malnourishment in children

          ( Source: human Development report of the year 2011-12)

          ·                     Gujarat ranks 16th in children’s anaemia

          (Source: human Development report of the year 2011-12)

          ·                     Gujarat ranks 14th in rural IMR and 10th in urban IMR.

          ( Source: SRS Estimates, 2012)

          ·                     According to report on Global Hunger (2009), Among the major 17 states in India, Gujarat ranks 13th with a Hunger Index of 23.3. The state has been declared as an “alarming state” along with MP, Jharkhand and Bihar

           ( Source: UNDP report on global hunger 2009-10)

          ·                     The data show that 67 per cent of rural households in the State ranks 10th in the use of latrines.

          (Source : National Sample Survey 2011-12)

          ·                     Data collected during the National Census 2011 reveals that around 29 per cent of the total number of households in Gujarat is receiving untreated drinking water. Approximately 1.75 crore people are not getting clean drinking water.

          (Source: National Sample Survey )

          ·                     Gujarat has 32% poverty in 2001 and it reached 39.5% in 2011. Every 100 person there is 40 persons poor. Statistics of the NSSO show that the percentage of reduction of poverty between 2004 and 2010 was the lowest in Gujarat, at 8.6 per cent.

          (source: Report by NASSO on poverty 2012-13)

          ·              52,260 number of scholarships minority students should have got in Gujarat, through the Centre started a scholarship scheme for minorities; to be shared in 75:25 ratio between the Centre and state to encourage students from poor families to complete schooling. Since the scheme started, Gujarat has let the funds lapse by not sending any proposal to the Centre for giving these scholarships.

          (Source: A report by Ministry of Minority Affair,MMA,GOI,2011-12)

          ·              12% Muslims’ share of total bank accounts in Gujarat, but their loan amount outstanding is only 2.6 percent. This proves they don’t get loans.

          (Source: A report by Ministry of Minority Affair,MMA,GOI,2011-12)

          ·              UNDP United Nations has observed that poverty head count ratio for Muslims is highest in the states of AssamUttar PradeshWest Bengal and Gujarat.

           (source: UNDP human development report to UN-2011-12)

          ·              Of 1,958 riot cases reopened after the Supreme Court order, the Gujarat Police made arrests in only 117 cases — 5 percent of the total

          ·                     Gujarat stands 11th in implementing Forest Rights Enactment, 2006.

          (Source: An article on Gujarat is not tribal friendly? DNA Ahmedabad, Tuesday, Apr 3, 2012,)

          ·                     One rape takes place every three days in Gujarat.

          (Source: A report by NGO Ahmedabad Womens Assosiation Gujarat-AWAG-(TIMES NEWS NETWORK, 25 th Jan 2013 )

          ·                     The Deputy Speaker’s post is left vacant by the Gujarat Government for a decade. (As per article 178 of Indian constitution, it is compulsory)

          ·                     Assembly runs on an average for 30-32 days a year.

          ·                     No Lokayukta appointed since last 10 years.

          ·                     Gujarat has organized 3716 Employment festival” as per Government of Gujarat own record 10 lacks educated youth are unemployed and a total of 30 lakh people are unemployed. (Source: NASSO report,GOI,2011-12)

          ·                     NSSO data show that in Gujarat , growth in employment has dropped to almost zero in the past 12 years

               A recent CAG review on accounts of the States is an eye-opener when it comes to Gujarat, the latter’s high claims notwithstanding. Allegedly there are Rs 16,706.99 crore worth of financial and land allotment irregularities with resultant negative impact on delivery on economic and development fronts

          (Source: CAG report 2011-12)

          On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM, shabnam hashmi <shabnamhashmi@...> wrote:

[...]

          On 17 September 2013 10:37, rakesh ganguli <rakesh.ganguli@...> wrote:

          It is rather disturbing that one equates Gujarat to Modi and Modi alone. Well, the equation might hold true one way and not the other way round - Modi is Gujarat, but Gujarat is not Modi.

          Polarising the debate to pro or anti Modi is a reductionist scheme in my view and disregards the vast and diverse population of the state that includes Adivasis, OBCs, minorities and other communities who are equal stakeholders and actors in the growth story of Gujarat. Secondly, a thousand riots in the past do not justify what happened in 2002 and will not justify any communal violence ever, the logic as we all understand is flawed and dangerous. It goes to suggest that if one party has been responsible for 100 riots it is ok for the other to incite one or two!

          All the growth and infrastructure listed in the piece of writing is essential beyond doubt, but peace, harmony and dignity of life are as much part of such infrastructure, aren't they? and on that count a 'riot free' decade is definitely a poor indicator. Stability under tension is not a desirable condition for any society.

          With more and more compelling evidence being unearthed with every passing day, let's hope justice will be done and the development of Gujarat does not become the slave of a person, who has refused to demonstrate any remorse or compassion for the orchestrated rape and killings of thousands.

          Rakesh

          From: Pankaj Jain <pjain2002@...>

          Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:57:33 -0700 (PDT)

[...]

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • Ghouse Quadri
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 19, 2013
            Manish Jain Sahab
            I shall be grateful if u will kindly fwd the English version for me to assimilate & formulate a proper response. In any case, I am 100% with you & others who are concerned about the Idea of India, the pluralistic & inclusive society.

            Politicians of all hues are creating trouble or fishing in troubled waters.  BJP takes the cake, by hook or crook they want to grab political power; Congress is not too far behind, to them also, only the end matters & means fair or foul do not matter; SP & other regional satraps too are vying & competing with each other for their share in the pie.  God save India, God save us!

            The way political parties are going berserk to garner votes dividing the society on the lines of caste, creed, culture, community, language, region & religion, they will tear apart the country very soon. We had thought, this madness is a temporary phenomenon & good sense will prevail but hatred is spreading unabated, anger & revenge has consumed a whole lot of people.

            Fighting darkness with darkness will only make the entire world dark, who will teach them how to fight darkness with light?

            We are a nation of minorities, we have chosen to give ourselves a secular democratic constitution.  The cultural jingoism will destroy the very idea of India, we must stop the spilling of religion into public space.

            All divisive politicians must be stopped. Like Hitler came to power through a democratic process, became a dictator and destroyed all the democratic institutions.  Don't let the fascist fool you with false claims & propaganda of development. Thanx to crony capitalism, the corporate houses are enjoying free lands & tax holidays at the expense of the Tribals, Dalits & poor Farmers.  He will eventually bulldoze one & all who came or would dare to come in his way. It would then take a renaissance, a Tahrir Square, may be a bloody revolt to unseat him!
            --
            With Warm regards,
            Yours Sincerely,