Re: [Arkitect India] Provocative thoughts on Narendra Modi.

  • Ajay Mahajan
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 31, 2013
      the last lines of two comments above

      "by targetting modi alone, he gains, you lose"

      by targetting muslims alone a particular political persuation gains...

      Add to this a lot of Propaganda
      Religious or Regional or any other Chauvinism, FALSE PRIDE and Hatred...

      The true and good for every one gets distorted,
      Where is understanding, compassion inclusiveness, genuine spirituality...

      THis Never did any people any good...

      This is the Makings of What?
      Look into essential basic lessons from history...

      I am not interested in the gains of Modi or any particular persuation.

      The point ofcourse is what is good for everyone, including the poor and marginalised

      a focus on meaningful education, holistic health, ecological and safe farming and food, other sources of sustainable livelihoods, music art....

      this is what we need most, no...

      rest is all humbug deflection, self promoting agenda's ego's, greed for power and money...
      and ideologies which can divide and break the nation

      lets be wise and not carried away by imaginary agenda's and propaganda's be they of demagogues or corporate's or those brainwashed or sold out to them...

      On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Sankara Narayanan <psn.1946@...> wrote:

      I would request the educated and elite upper caste brothers and sisters to work for bringing a sort of reform amongst the marginalised majority Hindu community on the line of Buddha, Rammohan Roy, Swamy Vivekananda, Mahatma Phule, Gandhiji, Dr Ambedkar movements. That can really bring them into the mainstream of development.

      Whether it is Muslim or Hindu, the poor and marginalised have very many castes and classes, thanks to the cunning Divide and Rule dictum sanctioned by Hindu gods and scriptures. There is a design by the upper caste elites to perpetuate poverty amongst the Sudras and exploit their sentiments as and when required for political and economic games or otherwise.

      By targeting Muslims alone, you gain and your racism also gains.

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM, braja mishra <braja.mishra@...> wrote:

      I absolutely agree with Pankaj.   I would request the educated and elite Muslim brothers and sisters to work for bringing a sort of reform amongst  the marginalised Muslim community on the line of Arya Samaj and Bramho Samaj movement. That can really bring them into mainstream of development. Whether it is Muslim or Hindu, the poor and marginalised have only one caste and class. There is a design by elite to perpetuate poverty amongst them and exploit their sentiments as and when required for political game or otherwise.  By targeting Modi alone, you lose and Modi gains.

      Regards
      Braja

      On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Pankaj Jain <pjain2002@...> wrote:

      Shamsul Bhai,

      My knowledge is limited to media report and personal experience of living in Ahmedabad and working in poor neighbourhoods, including those of minorities, so you must already know whatever I know. I do not see him doing anything from which only Hindu benefits and not the Muslims, including very good road, electricity, transport infrastructure,  reasonable drinking water supply in a water deficit  region, somewhat responsive bureaucracy-administration and social peace, along with high agricultural and industrial growth. I do not belong to poor  or minority community, so I have no personal experience of discrimination that might be experienced by them, but if we know of specific large scale instances of such discrimination, these should be highlighted, not blanket statements of his partisanship against poor or minorities, that are made by his political opponents in civil society, academic, media and electoral space. This is not to say that Gujarat is a haven on earth and nothing more needs to be done to improve the life of people here.  Even in rich western democracies, hundreds of problems are unresolved and Gujarat is no exception to that.

      My only point is that our judgment about Shri Modi, both critique and appreciation, should be based upon facts, and not motivated by blind opposition or admiration, which becomes political posturing.

      Pankaj

      Date: 22 July 2013
      Published on Down To Earth (http://www.downtoearth.org.in)

      Second palli sabha in Niyamgiri deals double blow to Odisha government

      Author(s):
      Issue Date:
      2013-7-22
      Kesarpadi residents cancel government’s settlement of community forest rights; unanimously reject Vedanta bauxite mining proposal
      District judge Sarat
Chandra Misra walks up the forest path to Kesarpadi, his
“orderly” holding the umbrella, under a tight security cordon
(Photos: Sayantan Bera)District judge Sarat Chandra Misra walks up the forest path to Kesarpadi, his “orderly” holding the umbrella, under a tight security cordon (Photos: Sayantan Bera)
      Two days of pouring rain did little to dampen the spirit of the forest people of Niyamgiri. The second palli sabha or village council meeting at Kesarpadi in Rayagada district took a critical decision today: it cancelled Odisha state government’s proposed settlement of community and religious claims to the forests. The tribal hamlet also unanimously rejected the proposed bauxite mining inside the forest hills.
      This double blow to the state government and Vedanta Aluminium Limited follows close on the heels of the first palli sabha at Serkapadi where residents rejected the mining proposal on July 18 last week [2]. Following up on the Supreme Court order of April 18 [3], the Odisha state government selected 12 villages—seven from Rayagada and five from Kalahandi district—to take a call on the proposed bauxite mining inside Niyamgiri hill range and whether it will infringe on their religious and cultural rights.
      A joint venture of the Orissa Mining Corporation Limited (OMCL) and Sterlite Industries, the Indian arm of the London Stock Exchange-listed Vedanta, wants to mine the forests for bauxite, to feed Vedanta’s alumina refinery on the foothills of Niyamgiri hills at Lanjigarh. At stake is 72 million tonnes of estimated bauxite deposits and an investment of Rs 40,000 crore by Vedanta in the state of Odisha.
      The palli sabha at Kesarpadi started almost forty minutes late because of rains. District judge of Rayagada, Sarat Chandra Misra, appointed observer by the Supreme Court, had to brave the rains and walk on the narrow forest path to reach Kesarpadi. Of the 36 voters in the Dongria Kondh tribal hamlet, 33 were in attendance—23 women outnumbering the 10 men.
      Right at the beginning, Dondu Kutruka a young Dongria Kondh demanded the joint verification report by the state government, that proposed to settle the villagers’ community and religious claims to the forests, be rejected. “You people wrote everything in the office and never came to the village to verify. Now write whatever we say correctly and read it out. You cannot make a fool of us every time,” he warned the chair.
      On July 6, a team from the state government visited Kesarpadi to prepare a joint verification report to settle the villagers’ community and religious claims to the forests. The settlement report arbitrarily allotted community claims, for instance between 0.5 to 1.9 acres (one acre equals 0.4 hectare) for the five perennial streams in the village. The entire religious rights were settled with a mere 0.11 acres for local deities [4] (PDF of verification report [5]).
      Kesarpadi
residents gave thumb impressions only after their rights over the entire
Niyamgiri hills were recorded in the resolutionKesarpadi residents gave thumb impressions only after their rights over the entire Niyamgiri hills were recorded in the resolution
      “The entire Niyamgiri spread over Rayagada and Kalahandi is ours. You can take our life but we will not give it for mining,” thundered Kutruka. “Your temples are made of brick and cement. Ours are made of earth, leaves and the forests,” said the bejuni, village priestess of Kesarpadi.
      All the 33 residents of the village took the mike to reject proposed bauxite mining. “We get our Kosla and mandiya (minor millets) from the dongar (shift and burn cultivation plots on hill slope). These jungles are as much ours as it for the leopards and bears. We will not give it for mining,” said the village forest rights committee president Suku Kutruka.
      Before signing the minutes of the meeting, Kesarpadi residents ensured that their religious and community claims to the entire Niyamgiri is recorded in the resolution. They also claimed the proposed bauxite mining site of Dhangrabhata or Niyamdongar—the mythical birthplace of their ancestral kin and principal deity Niyamraja—as part of their religious and cultural rights.
      In an act
of solidarity, Dongria Kondh women came from faraway villages and stood
outside the Palli Sabha venueIn an act of solidarity, Dongria Kondh women came from faraway villages and stood outside the Palli Sabha venue
      “We don’t want land titles in portions of the forests. Why should we, when everything belongs to us?” asked Lado Sikaka, leader of the Dongria Kondh who walked over three hours to reach Kesarpadi in time for the palli sabha. As happened in the previous palli sabha at Serkapadi, this one also saw several other tribals arriving at the venue and sitting outside in solidarity.
      “People today rejected the faulty government report that tried to limit their community and religious claims. The mood is upbeat and we are expecting similar resolutions from all the other palli sabhas,” said a jubilant Bhala Chandra Sadangi, CPI (ML) leader and advisor to the Niyamgiri Suraksha Samiti, the local resistance group.
      Tomorrow, Tadijhola, a non-tribal village in Kalahandi district will take a call on the mining proposal. The village can only be reached on foot, an hour’s walk through forest hills from the nearest docking point for cars and bikes. Hope the rains won’t play too much of a spoilsport.

      --
      Peace Is Doable

      --
      Braja S. Mishra, PhD

    • Pankaj Jain
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 12, 2013
        Dear Shamsul Bhai,

        My understanding of 'Hindutva', not Hindu religion, is what has been stated by the Supreme court-Justice Verma, and not what some others, either proponents or opponents, view it to be.

        I am not a social activist or a social researcher, so I can not keep inferring the meaning of some statement of some people made X number of years. What is relevant to me, as an ordinary citizen-observer, are the 'real actions' of people who now matter in our life. My series of postings have been only in relation to description of actions of Mr. Modi, which have not been found objectionable by the credible and unbiased institutional mechanisms. My point is limited to pointing out that we should accept our own limitations and biases, and limits of our capability to find truth about others, and instead rely on credible institutional mechanisms. Otherwise, we will act as no different from fundamentalist groups like Naxal or Taliban who do not believe in any institutional mechanism and wish to replace every political order with a social-political order of their linking. Self-righteous fundamentalism of all kind is wrong, be it religious of Taliban type, politico-economic of Naxal type, or politico-secular of the emergent variety in India.

        As far Hindutva is concerned, I have neither competence nor interest to discuss it, and am happy to go by the view of Justice Verma.

        I will be happy to stand shoulder to shoulder with you if there indeed is evidence of neo-nazi or fascist behavior. Indian highest Judiciary does not believe that to be the case regarding the behavior of Mr. Modi.

        You are, however, welcome to believe that you have greater competence, investigative capability, and wisdom than the combination of Indian forums that have carefully an judiciously reviewed the actions of Mr. Modi, and found these to be lawful, so far.

        Best.

        Pankaj

        From:        Pankaj Jain <pjain2002@...>
        To:        "arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com" <arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>,
        Date:        07/31/2013 01:16 PM
        Sent by:        arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

        Sir,

        This report is based upon a visit which was limited to listening the presentation by various people, which could be factual or allegations or perceptions. This report is more like a FIR and not a report of any in depth inquiry conducted by NHRC. This report and much more has already been properly examined both by the courts, Supreme court appointed investigation teams, SIT, and the Inquiry Commission.

        FIR is not even a charge sheet, so what credence is to be given to it, other than a basis of starting an inquiry. Sure this type of NHRC report was a good enough basis of starting inquiries, but that IS NOT the conclusion of judicial inquiry.

        So, where is the certification or endorsement of any facts in this report?

        Pankaj

        From: Sukla Sen <sukla.sen@...>
        ihro@yahoogroups.com>; issueonline <issuesonline_worldwide@yahoogroups.com>; bharat-chintan@...; indiathinkersnet <indiathinkersnet@yahoogroups.com>; arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com; mahajanapada <Mahajanapada@yahoogroups.com>; bahujan <Bahujan@yahoogroups.com>; sacred-illusions <sacred-illusions@...>; invitesplus@yahoogroups.com; Janshakti <Janshakti@yahoogroups.com>; Indian <indianfirst@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent:
        Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:32 PM
        Subject:
        [Arkitect India] Second palli sabha in Niyamgiri deals double blow to Odisha govt

        Date: 22 July 2013

        Published on Down To Earth (
        http://www.downtoearth.org.in)

        Second palli sabha in Niyamgiri deals double blow to Odisha government

        Author(s):

        Sayantan Bera [1]
[...]

        Source URL:
        http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/second-palli-sabha-niyamgiri-deals-double-blow-odisha-government