New Posting

  • Asif Jalal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006

      Hi Vedanshuji,

      Now I am posted as SP at district lahaul and spiti, bordering Indo-Tibetan border, with headquarter at Kelong. It is situated at the height of 18000 ft.  Temperature sometimes dips to minus 50 degree. If you are a little acquainted with the geography of India , this place is situated on the Pirpanjal and Zaskar range of the Greater Himalayas.  You might have heard about Rohtang pass (meaning heap of corpse). The valley of Kelong is situated beyond this pass from Kullu (Manali, HP) side. Yesterday on Shivratri it snowed up to three ft. When I landed here in Jan, the mounds of snow were so massive that I did not require to get down from the first floor of my residence through stairs to visit the neighbour, or my office, I could just walked through the first floor of my residence directly on the snow. I could hardly see any living creature except the government officials here. I live at such a place I alone, my wife and other family members have since long abandoned me. Sometimes the road is cleared of snow by the GREF men but at the road side the heap of snow is as high as a truck. Many rivers like Chenab and Sutlej originate in the massive glaciers of this district. My residence is situated only a few km from Chenab , when I go to bed I can hear the flow of its pure water till I fall asleep. Tibet is only a few km from here. Agar main Tibbet ke taraf se kahin aur ko nikal jaoon to gila mat karna. Trekking, volleyball, reading picnic, skiing etc are favourite pastime here. At one time in my life I wanted to read all the books of the world, in that way this place is not bad. Dish TV, electricity, telephone with cellular phone tower, internet connction make life a little comfortable here. Local population is mainly Buddhist with Tibetan facial features. You have lots of lamas and gompas here. Coming from the land of Buddha at Gaya to this land of lama I do not feel I am at some alien place.

      ASIF JALAL
      IPS
      09418105353

      Does your mail provider give you FREE antivirus protection?
      Get Yahoo! Mail
    • tanweer hasan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006

          hello asif ' hello vedanshu jee/ this mail was meant for vedanshu jee but i am also intruding. lahaul and spiti has hit me and i can feel the snows here sitting in bilaspur asif i am coming to leh and its nubra valley in this summer hope i can find some way to leh from spiti?
        best wishes

        On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 Asif Jalal wrote :

        >    Hi Vedanshuji,
        >
        >  Now I am posted as SP at district lahaul and spiti, bordering Indo-Tibetan border, with headquarter at Kelong. It is situated at the height of 18000 ft.  Temperature sometimes dips to minus 50 degree. If you are a little acquainted with the geography of India, this place is situated on the Pirpanjal and Zaskar range of the Greater Himalayas.  You might have heard about Rohtang pass (meaning heap of corpse). The valley of Kelong is situated beyond this pass from Kullu (Manali, HP) side. Yesterday on Shivratri it snowed up to three ft. When I landed here in Jan, the mounds of snow were so massive that I did not require to get down from the first floor of my residence through stairs to visit the neighbour, or my office, I could just walked through the first floor of my residence directly on the snow. I could hardly see any living creature except the government officials here. I live at such a place I alone, my wife and other family members have since long abandoned me. Sometimes the
        >  road is cleared of snow by the GREF men but at the road side the heap of snow is as high as a truck. Many rivers like Chenab and Sutlej originate in the massive glaciers of this district. My residence is situated only a few km from Chenab, when I go to bed I can hear the flow of its pure water till I fall asleep. Tibet is only a few km from here. Agar main Tibbet ke taraf se kahin aur ko nikal jaoon to gila mat karna. Trekking, volleyball, reading picnic, skiing etc are favourite pastime here. At one time in my life I wanted to read all the books of the world, in that way this place is not bad. Dish TV, electricity, telephone with cellular phone tower, internet connction make life a little comfortable here. Local population is mainly Buddhist with Tibetan facial features. You have lots of lamas and gompas here. Coming from the land of Buddha at Gaya to this land of lama I do not feel I am at some alien place.
        >

        >  ASIF JALAL
        >  IPS
        >  09418105353
        >

        >---------------------------------
        >Does your mail provider give you FREE antivirus protection?
        >Get Yahoo! Mail

      • Rajendra Aggarwala
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
          Dear Asif Jalal,

          Thanks for your posting. You are a lucky guy, posted at such a heavenly abode, with all the modern facilities and communications, and with all the amenities and privileges of power, all at public expense. I wonder why your family members abondoned you? They could have converted the place into yet another home away from home.

          I say this when I compare my own experience in the Sama Valley of Nepal in the five Bhutia(read Tibetan) villages on the Surveying expedition (for Nepal Government providing India's assistance under the Colombo plan) during the Winter months of 1958-59, along  the high Nepal-Tibet range above 24,000ft separating my party from Tibet. I was required to Survey points up to these ranges up to the Nepal Tibet border, along the ranges on both sides, and along the valley up to the saddle leading across into Tibet. I was no SP, and was without any local authority. The last Indian police check post lay just outside my area, as the check post did not consider the area safe for location!!! The local district magistrate was a 19 year old kid from the area, who was supposed to provide local protection to my party during the surveying operations. Interestingly he later sought protection from me when the locals turned against him in allowing me to climb mountains in the area.

           I was daily on the move with my peraphernalia of instruments, tents, other equipment and rations. My rations were being replenished on the back of the train of human porters from Arughat Bazar, a small Napalese villege 100 miles away, over the mountaneous trackless terrain. There was no dish or TV, in fact no communications except through hand carried mail through my class IV staff, who walked over 300km on foot to keep me replenished with funds, and mail every fifteen days. I was just an Army Captain, with Survey of India, on a Surveying and Mapping Mission, to Survey these inaccesible mountain ranges and valleys for the Government of Nepal. In addition I was also the quarter master, doctor, dispenser, and accountant of food and medicines for my party of 40 Nepalese & indian Class IV personnel and porters to assist me in my survey observations, and for climbing peaks on both sides of the valley. Manasulu Peak over 27000ft lay SW of Sama village, and the avalanches from the mountain features had buried the village only the previous year.  During one night our little tents were buried under 8 feet of snow, and it was a miracle to survive. I, however, still recall the adventures with some zest and pride.

          Yes, I also recall my mountaineering expedition to Mount Kamet(25447ft)/Abi Gamin(Indo-Tibetan border)(over 24200ft) in june-july 55, when we conquered both the peaks the same day. This was cerainly no work, but more fun and adventure. One of us went down over 30ft in a glacial crevass, and was extricated just in time to survive with a broken nose-rather cheaply.

          But we never had the luxury to seek our family with us, even when they were anxious to do so. Times have changed indeed.

          I enjoyed your post. Keep us posted with your adventures and experiences. Thanks again

          Lt.Col. Rajendra Aggarwala(retd)
          Faculty & Director GIS/GPS labs(retd)
          University of Michigan
          USA

[...]