RE: [Arkitect India] Rejoinder_A Letter to Mr. Chetan Bhagat from Indian Muslim Youth

  • Harsh Mander
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013

      Great article. I too sign.

      Harsh Mander

      From: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mansi Sharma
      Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:13 PM
      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Arkitect India] Rejoinder_A Letter to Mr. Chetan Bhagat from Indian Muslim Youth

      Following is the text of a letter that was initially written by some of us and subsequently endorsed by the undersigned. This letter is a rejoinder to the article written by Chetan Bhagat titled, ‘Letter from an Indian Muslim Youth’ (http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/The-underage-optimist/entry/letter-from-an-indian-muslim-youth) published in The Times of India on 30th of June 13.

      The letter was sent to The Times of India (at arindam.sengupta@...,
      swagato.ganguly@..., and sunday.times@...) for publication with 166 signatures yesterday afternoon but we are yet to receive any response, or even an acknowledgment. Hence, we are left with no option but to make it public with additional signatures which we have received in the course of time.

      In the letter sent to The Times of India, we included only ‘Muslim names’ since Mr. Bhagat, in his letter pretended to be an Indian Muslim Youth. However, here we are including all the endorsements we received (at activist.journalist@... ) because a large number of the emails read, ‘I am not a Muslim but I am equally disgusted by Chetan Bhagat’s letter’.

      Given below is the text of letter followed by more than 200 signatures:

      TEXT: A Letter to Mr. Chetan Bhagat from Indian Muslim Youth

      3rd JULY 2013

      Dear Mr. Bhagat,

      At the very outset, let us make it clear that we are not fans of your regressive fiction. Therefore, we write to you not as crazy fans but as Indian Muslim youth, who felt utterly patronized, insulted and hurt after reading your article, ‘Letter from an Indian Muslim Youth’ .  You might have not realized this, but in pretending to render “a strong modern Indian Muslim voice’’ to the youth and the Muslim community at large, you have ripped them of their agency. You have reaffirmed stereotypes that many in the community have been fighting against. Heard of the Muslim god and his flock?

      Sir, one does not need a name like Ahmed or Saeed or Mirza, or even be a Muslim to show one’s genuine concern for the community. One just needs to see beyond one’s own prejudice and biases. Believe us, this disgusting piece of your writing made us more nauseous than any of your (or Madhu Kishwar’s) love-verses to Modi. Your article is nothing but an extension of the thought process that anything Muslim is backward and regressive. Since you have assigned to yourself the task of bearing the moral burden of the community, would you care to explain what a ‘Muslim cap’ is?

      We agree with you when you say political leaders make promises that go empty post elections. And that there are Muslims who have achieved much without any ‘’cap-wearing politician’’ helping them. But who is this leader that you are suggesting; one who would understand ‘’the desire’’ of the Muslim youth ‘’to come up in life’’ and ‘’inspire us to do better’’? Is it by any chance the mass murderer, Narendra Modi?

      You know what hurts? That people pretend to care for you when they don’t. When in fact they use you to grind their own axe. How cleverly you turn everything that the Muslim youth face today – “being frisked with greater attentiveness, denied renting an apartment” – into a product of the community’s inherent backwardness, as if it bears no relation to the increasing communalization of our polity and society.

      What makes you think that the ‘cap’ wallahs exercise a great deal of influence within the community? Interestingly, one particular party has been lately seeking a lot of photo-ops with precisely these kinds of community leaders. Make no mistake Mr. Writer. They don’t.

      “Because of you”, you write castigating an imagined Muslim leadership, “people feel we vote in a herd.” Now, isn't that really clever, Mr. Bhagat. People feel we vote in a herd because certain parties never tire of screaming hoarse about ‘minority appeasement’ and ‘vote banks’, even though, any psephologist or political scientist, or even an ordinary Muslim youth at Chai dukaan will tell you that Muslims vote just like any other community does: according to a mix of factors: local, national but above all, keeping in mind who will preserve their interests best. And their interests do tend to include the safety of life and livelihood.

      We are sorry, Mr. Bhagat, but the ‘’democratic republic’’ you talk of is not so democratic. If it were so, Afzal Guru wouldn’t have been executed to ‘’satisfy the collective conscience of the nation’’. Muslim youth would not have fallen prey to minority witch-hunting, and their killers not decorated with gallantry awards. Adivasis in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa would not have been ripped of their fundamental rights to live with dignity. Dalit poets would not have been falsely charged under sedition laws.

      Loving one’s nation is well and good, but being blinded by patriotism is not. Why do Indian Muslims always have to prove their allegiance to India? Why can’t they also be critical of their country?

      The party whose path you are treading has had Indian Muslims pass through too many Sita-like ordeals of fire, Agni Pariksha.  You may have the privilege to turn a blind eye to the post-Babri Masjid Demolition violence, the Gujarat pogrom, but many others don’t. How then do you think a leader who doesn’t even have the integrity to apologize for his complicity in the Gujarat pogrom represent Muslim youth’s aspirations for ‘’scientific way of thinking, entrepreneurship, empowerment, progress’’ and above all, ‘’personal freedoms’’? And just by the way, have you heard of the word, ‘Justice’?

      Sd/-

      Name          Profession      City (State)

      1. Rafiul Alom Rahman, Student, Delhi University, Delhi
      2. Mahtab Alam, Civil Rights Activist and Journalist, Delhi
      3. Javid Parsa, Student, Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad
      4. Zulaikha Jabeen, Researcher and Activist, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
      5. Shahnawaz Malik, Journalist, Delhi
      6. Abdullah A Rahman, Student, TISS Tuljapur
      7. Abu Zafar, Journalist, Delhi
      8. Sadika Saiyed, Law Student, Surat
      9. Omar Rashid, Journalist, Allahabad
      10. Imran Ali, Filmmaker, Delhi
      11. Rashid Hussain, Software Engineer, Jaipur
      12. Mahtab Azad, Development Consultant, Araria (Bihar)
      13. Ali Amir, Student, TISS Mumbai
      14. Gauhar Iqbal, Entrepreneur, Delhi
      15. Bilal Kagzi, Advocate, Surat
      16. Imran Khan, Journalist, Bangalore
      17. Nesar Ahmad, Researcher, Jaipur
      18. Aasiya Aslam, Architect, Chennai
      19. Saif Khan, Student, IIT Kharagpur
      20. Ejaz Ahmad, Student IIT Delhi
      21. Mohd Tanveer Iqbal, Civil Rights Activist, Chennai
      22. Mohammad Noor Alam, Medical Student, Bagalkot
      23. Khan Rashid Ayyub, Legal Translator, Azamgarh
      24. Tariq Shabibi, Software Engineer, Hyderabad
      25. Naim Siddiqui, Marketing Professional, Gurgaon
      26. Shahid Parwez Saiyyad, Entrepreneur, Mumbai
      27. Yuman Hussain, Social Activist, Kishanganj (Bihar)
      28. Mansoor Ali, Network Administrator, Vellor, Tamilnadu
      29. Mohammad Altamash, Operation Manager, Gurgaon
      30. Naveed Hasan, Software Engineer, Bangalore
      31. Syed Hassan Kazim, Journalist, New Delhi
      32. Shehla Rashid, Policy Analyst, J & K
      33. Abul Kalam Azad, Student, TISS Guwahati
      34. Tasneem Khan, Assistant Professor, Galgotias University, Noida
      35. Najmul Huda, Research Scholar, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
      36. Dayam Anwar, Accountant, New Delhi
      37. Shahrukh Hameed, Asst Bank Manager, Lucknow
      38. Mohammad Rafiq Mulla, Web Developer, New Delhi
      39. Ershad Ahmad, Development Consultant, New Delhi
      40. Shoaib Mohammad, Student, Bangalore University
      41. Faraz Ahmad, Business Executive, Mumbai
      42. Sikandar Azam, Journalist, Delhi
      43. Tarique Shafeeq, Activist, Azamgarh
      44. Rabab Iman, Social Worker, Delhi
      45. Najid Hussain, Scientist, Indian based in USA
      46. Sana Maryam, Writer, New Delhi
      47. Sadiq Naqvi, Journalist, New Delhi
      48. Md. Zaurez Danish, Mechanical Engineer, Manipal
      49. Ovais Sultan Khan, Social Worker, Delhi
      50. Saleha Tahseen, Corporate Trainer, Bangalore
      51. Syed Zameer Hasan, Software Engineer, Mumbai
      52. Mohd. Jalauddin, Executive with Coal India, Maharashtra
      53. Malik Abid Rasool, Student, Amar Singh College, Sri Nagar
      54. Mohd. Imran, Real Estate Appraiser, Indian based in New Jersey
      55. Sahil Rafiq, Student, Kashmir University
      56. Younis Altaf, Student, Hyderabad
      57. Javed Iqbal, Corporate Employee, Hyderabad
      58.  Zoha Khan, Student, Dehradun
      59.  Irfan Hashmee, Student, Hyderabad
      60. Md. Ali, Journalist, Delhi
      61. Saira Manzoor, Homemaker, Kolkata
      62. Shafaque alam, Journalist, Delhi
      63. Afreen Khan, Student, Dehradun
      64. Afroz Alam, Journalist, Delhi
      65. Mazin Khan, Publisher, New Delhi
      66. Mohd. Reyaz, Journalist, Delhi
      67. S M Fasihullah, Freelance Journalist, Hyderabad
      68. Zoha Abdul, Student, DU
      69. Tarique Anwar, Journalist, Delhi
      70. Mohammad Muneeb, Private Employee, Kohir, AP
      71. Areeb Rizvi, Student, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
      72. Ufaq Paiker, Research Scholar, JNU
      73. Sania Mariam, Student, Kolkata
      74. Ayesha Farooq, Student, DU
      75. Falak Khan, Student, Bangalore
      76. Sarah Jameel, Student, Doon University, Uttarakhand
      77. Talha Hussain, Software Engineer , Gulbarga Karnataka
      78. Maheboob Shahana , Student ,Jamia Millia Islamia Delhi
      79. Abdul Haadi, MA Sociology , Kottayam Kerala
      80. Waseem Ahmed , Circulation Executive, Hapur (U.P)
      81. Atiya Firdaus, Student Activist, Kota Rajasthan.
      82. Abdul Raheem, Procurement Manager, Bangalore Karnataka.
      83.  Imran Ahmed, Real-Estate Developer, Kota Rajasthan
      84. Inam ur Rehman , student ,Delhi University ,Delhi
      85. Md Khalid , Ph.D Scholar Jamia Milliya Islamia, Delhi
      86. Ubaidurrehman, Ph.D Student ,JNU Delhi
      87. Shuaib PV , Student activist ,Kerala
      88. Ts Amanullah , Engineering Student Chennai Tamilnadu
      89. Riaz Ahmed, Law Student Chennai TamilNadu
      90. Aminulislam , Political Activist Murshidabad West Bengal
      91. Danish Raza, Journalist, Delhi
      92. Sharib Zeya, Research Fellow, Delhi School of Economics
      93. Nizamuddin Ajmeri , Social Worker , Bundi Rajasthan
      94. Jeelani Basha, Software Engineer Poona.
      95. Kosar Jahan , Student Activist , Kota Rajasthan
      96. Lukhmanul Hakeem , Student Activist , Edappal Kerala
      97. Abdul Raheem Mulla, Corporator GCC, Gulbarga Karnataka.
      98. P.Abdulnazar , Student activist , Vengara Kerala
      99. P Niyaz , Photo Journalist , Chennai TamilNadu
      100. Naveed Parsa, Engineering Student, Chandigarh
      101. Haseena Khatoon , Teacher Chennai Tamil Nadu
      102. Anjumand Ara, Teacher, Delhi University
      103. Ziyaullah , Political Activist Chennai Tamil Nadu
      104. Umer Farooq, Engineer, Punjab
      105. Saquib Ahmed, Advocate, Ahmadabad
      106. Mohammad Syeduddin, Student, Patna
      107. Parvez Bari, Journalist, Bhopal
      108. Shayed Sayeed, Software Engineer, Ahmadabad
      109. Zafar Mohammed, Business Executive, Mumbai
      110. Mohammad Saif, Journalist, Cuttack, Orissa
      111. Tauseef Ahmad, Technocrat, Delhi
      112. Mohd. Zakaria Siddiqui, Researcher, Indian currently in Australia
      113. Haseeb Mustafa Alvi, Engineer, Delhi
      114. Mohd Aarif Khan, Systems Engineer, Mumbai
      115. Fazal Ahmad, Advocate, New Delhi
      116. Qazi Sadaff Rehan, Student, Bhadrak, Orissa
      117. Aarif  Khan, Assistant Professor, Indian currently in Riyadh
      118. Faisal Iqbal, Electronics Engineer, New Delhi
      119. Pervez Chaudhary, Student, AMU, Aligarh
      120. Fehmeena Ahmad, Activist, Delhi
      121. Mohd. Yousuf, Student, Chennai
      122. Mohd Abdul Rasheed, IT Manager, Hyderabad
      123. Moosa Azmi, Activist, Varanasi
      124. Saman Roohi, Phd Candidate, Indian currently at Amsterdam
      125. Dr. Uzma, Medical Practitioner, Mysore
      126. Dr. Zaheer Ahmed, Neurologist, Chennai
      127. Adnan Farooqui, Academic, Delhi
      128. Farhatullah Khan, Research Scholar, University of Madras
      129. Munawwar Kavungal, Trichur, Kerala
      130. Muneebuudin, Advocate, Hyderabad
      131. Samiullah Khan, Quality Control Manager, Bangalore
      132. Mohd Saif, IT Engineer, Kareem Nagar, AP
      133. K T Hafis, Student, Jamia Millia Islamia
      134. Fawaz Shaeen, Law Student, AMU, Aligarh
      135. Shihab Khan, Civil Engineer, Bhopal
      136. Abdul Raheem Kaiser, Student, BITS Hyderabad
      137. Salima Aarif, Blogger, New Delhi
      138. Abdullah, Teacher, West Bengal
      139. Azhar Khan, Advocate, Jalgaon, Maharashtra
      140. Syed Salman Ali, Law Student, AMU
      141. Waseem Siddiqi, Entrepreneur, Delhi
      142. Parvin Sultana, Research Scholar, JNU
      143. Kashif Ilyas, Student, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh
      144. Riad Azam, Student, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh
      145. Imran Kichloo, Student, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh
      146. Ameen Ahmed, Student, Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh
      147. Roshan U. Alam, Civil Services aspirant, Delhi
      148. Shaheen Ahmed, Performance Artist, Delhi
      149. Mohd Arif Dagia, LIC Agent, Raipu, CG
      150. S M Zaki Ahmad, Development Professional, Delhi
      151. Ahmar Afaq, Law Student, Saharanpur, UP
      152. Muhammed Imtiyaz Ahmed, IT Consultant, Delhi
      153. Memon Junaid, Dentist, Ahmedabad
      154. Omair Anas, Researcher, JNU
      155. Mukkaram Niyaz, Web Developer, Hyderabad
      156. Imran Khan, Journalist, Noida
      157. Zaheer Hussain, Journalist, Bangalore
      158. S. Mohd Saim, Advocate, Rampur, UP
      159. Md Iqbal, Engineer, Ranchi
      160. Mohd Sajjad Hussain, Student, Delhi School of Economics
      161. Syed Humayoun Shabir, Research Scholar, AMU
      162. Fairoz Ahmed, Software Engineer, Bangalore
      163. Moinuddin Ahmad, Journalist, Delhi
      164. Yasir Iqbal, Engineering Student, AMU
      165. Faheem Ahmad, Planning Engineer, Vellore
      166. Abbas Hasan, Marketing Professional, Delhi
      167. Sadiq Umar, Young Scientist, Delhi
      168. Sarfaraz Nawaz, Consultant, Bangalore
      169. Shahnawaz Akhtar, Journalist, Delhi
      170. Rabia Khan, Marketing Consultant, Lucknow
      171. Rasshad Khan, Technology Entrepreneur, Noida
      172. Abdullah Azzam, Law Student, Faculty of Law, AMU
      173. Meher Jahan, Law Student, Faculty of Law, AMU
      174. Sarah Hashim, Law Student, Faculty of Law, AMU
      175. Anam Khan, Law Student, Faculty of Law, A M U
      176. Sheeba Aslam Fehmi, Writer-Activist, Delhi
      177. John Dayal, Member, National Integration Council, GoI
      178. Anuradha Bhasin, Journalist, Jammu
      179. Preeti Sampat, Researcher, Delhi
      180. Sukla Sen, Activist, Mumbai
      181. Brijesh Kalappa, Advocate, Delhi
      182. Archana VB, Software Professional
      183. Smita Charbarty, Phd Scholar, Kolkata
      184. Himanshu Kumar, Activist, Delhi
      185. Faisal Ahmed Khan, Assistant Professor, Kerala
      186. Brinda Bose, Teacher, Delhi University
      187. Neha Misra, Student, IMT Ghaziabad
      188. Shehba George, Activist, Ahmadabad
      189. Imran Khan, Educator, Aligarh
      190. Faisal Khan, Advocate, Meerut

      191.                      Clifton D' Rozario, Advocate, Banglore

      1. Ashok Chowdhury
        Dear Manshi, I also sent my approval for the statement. But it did not come in the list. In solidarity Ashok choudhary ... Dear Manshi, I also sent my approval

[...]

          1. Masihuddin, Pharmacist, Betiah, Bihar
          2. Aftab Fazil, Educationist, Delhi
          3. Nandini Rao, Activist, Delhi
          4. Dr. Aurobindo Ghose, Advocate, Delhi
          5. Asgar Hussain, Bank PO, Delhi
          6. Dr. Aslam Rizvi, Medical Practitioner, Delhi
          7. Naaz Khair, development consultant, Delhi
          8. Garga Chatarjee, Columnist, Kolkata
          9. Menu Seshu, Activist, Shangli
          10. Nitya Vasudevan, Research Scholar, Bangalore
          11. Rukmini Sen, Journalist, Mumbai
          12. Vimochana, Women Rights Activist, Bangalore
          13. Shraddha Chickerur, Delhi
          14. Girish Pannikkar, Accounts Manager, Kerala
          15. Aruna Ganadason, Christian Feminist, Kerala
          16. Ms Jarjum Ete, activist, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
          17. Navneet Shrivastava, Mumbai
          18. Dr. Shelly Dahiya, New Delhi
          19. Amalendhu Upadhyay, Journalist, Ghaziabad
          20. Himadri Sekhar Mistri, Research Scholar, Delhi School of Economics
          21. Soma Marik, Visiting Professor, School of Women's Studies, Jadavpur University
          22. Sudipto Muhri, Assistant Professor, Pune University
          23. Kalyani Menon,  Feminist, Gurgaon