Fwd: SAMBHAVANA FILES A PIL Against the PROPOSED FOUR YEAR UNDER-GRADUATE PROGRAMME of DU

  • Vikas Gupta
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2013
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Sambhavana Group <sambhavana.group@...>
    Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 16:44:26 +0530
    Subject: SAMBHAVANA FILES A PIL Against the PROPOSED FOUR YEAR
    UNDER-GRADUATE PROGRAMME of DU
    To: sambhavana.group@...

    PRESS RELEASE Ref.Sam/2013/127
    Dated: 03/05/2013

    SAMBHAVANA ORGANIZATION FILES A PIL Demanding Stay on the PROPOSED
    FOUR YEAR UNDER-GRADUATE PROGRAMME of DU

    Sambhavana, the leading organization of disabled teachers and students
    in Delhi, has filed a writ petition in the honorable High Court
    requesting a stay order against implementation of the discriminatory
    four year under-graduation programme, FYUP. It claims that the present
    design of FYUP is discriminatory as the programme does not take in to
    consideration the aspirations and specific needs of the students with
    blindness and other print-disabilities. Sambhavana organization
    strongly believes that in case the four year under graduate programme
    is introduced in its present form the student with Vision Impairment
    will suffer irreparable loss and a large number of such students will
    get excluded from the proposed benefits of this programme. Sambhavana
    objects the implementation of the proposed FYUP mainly on the
    following grounds:

    Problem Arising due to the Imposition of Compulsory
    Interdisciplinarity on Students

    In the name of interdisciplinarity, this programme requires students
    to study foundation courses from multiple streams. Two of the eleven
    foundation courses (to be studied over first two semesters) would be
    on Mathematics and Science. In most cases, blind or visually impaired
    students are discouraged or practically barred/disallowed from taking
    Science and Mathematics after 8th standard. Sambhavana Organization
    argues that DU, just like most of schools in Delhi or in the country,
    have not made adequate arrangements for teaching blind students
    Mathematics and Science. In the present system at Delhi University,
    not studying Maths and Science after 8th standard did not harm at
    least the immediate academic prospects of a blind student. Yet, the
    FYUP makes it compulsory for all the students to study courses that
    require prior knowledge of Science and Mathematics.
    The university has two options in this case. Either DU can exempt
    vision impaired students from studying courses that require knowledge
    of Science and Mathematics. Or it can tell those students to look for
    some other university. In either case DU would be treating people with
    visual disabilities as second class students in complete violation of
    their fundamental and other legislative rights of equal participation.

    Unavailability of Accessible Reading Material

    It has been a constant problem for students with vision impairment to
    get hold of reading material for their studies in accessible formats,
    such as Braille, E-texts, large text or audio recording. As far as the
    existing courses are concerned, at least some reading material in
    accessible formats have been accumulated over the years as a result of
    various individual and organizational initiatives, which is of course
    merely a fraction of the total number of texts prescribed . Yet, when
    it comes to the FYUP nobody is still sure what form the courses will
    take. For many of the courses there is no syllabus approved by the
    statutory bodies thus far. Even if the syllabi are ready in the month
    of May, it will take some time to print the texts and other reading
    materials for vision impaired students in accessible formats. By any
    means, this task cannot be achieved overnight. At least a year of
    systematic planning and efforts is needed. Sambhavana Organization
    believes that in the light of DU’s tendency of having no dialogue
    despite series of representations and protests by disabled students
    and teachers over last many months against the blatant disregard of
    various provisions as enshrined in the laws for disabled, it is very
    less likely that without intervention of judiciary, University would
    pay appropriate attention to protect legal rights of such students.

    Demands

    Sambhavana Organization demands from DU to have dialogue with Disabled
    Students and Teachers which is enshrined in the PWD Act and the
    UNCRPD, before introducing the new structure; To provide the Reading
    Material in Accessible Form in advance which is also promised in DU’s
    Draft Disability Policy; To introduce a bridge course for students
    with Vision Impairment in the first year of four years under graduate
    programme so that they can easily pursue the foundation course and
    become part of mainstream education system; to introduce the
    foundation course in the second year of the four years under graduate
    programme; and to make provision for training of the teachers who will
    teach the students with Vision Impairment Math’s and Science and Life
    in the four years under graduate programme. Sambhavana has appealed
    the Delhi High Court to stay the introduction of the four year under
    graduate programme with multiple degree by Delhi University since
    July, 2013 till the pending of the present Writ Petition.

    Sambhavana Team
    Phones: +91-9818685889, +91-9818193875, +9013727325, +91-9818021880.

    --
    Sambhavana
    Struggle for the Rights of Disabled!

    email: sambhavana.group@...

    Phone: 9111-27517615

    Mobile: 9818685889

    Office: 350, Pocket 5,
    Sector 2, Rohini,
    Delhi 110085.

    --
    Vikas Gupta
    Assistant Professor–University of Delhi;

    Permanent Office: Department of History,
    Faculty of Social Sciences,
    University of Delhi ,
    Delhi 110007, India.

    Ph: +91-11-266659 (O.), +91-11-27662347 (R.) & +91-9818193875 (M.)
    Email: vikasedu@...
  • University Today
    Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2013
      Ref our telephonic conversation yesterday. Kindly keep us posted. Regards,
      -- Kalra
      FOUR YEAR UNDER-GRADUATE PROGRAMME of DU [1 Attachment]

      Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2013
        Excellent move on the part of Sambhavna. Plz keep us informed of developements. Anything we can do? Madhu