Recommendation for Arjuna Awards etc by BCCI opposed

  • Amitabh Thakur
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2013
      Friends,

      We have opposed the recommendations of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for various National sports awards. In our letter to Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, we have said that the recommendations of batsman Mr Virat Kohli for Arjuna award and former captain Mr Sunil Gavaskar for the Dhyanchand award are against the provisions of law.

      As per the Government Rules for various National Sports awards, nominations made only by the National Sports Federations (NSFs) are entertained, but despite not being a NSF, BCCI sends nominations for these awards.

      We have filed a Writ Petition No 3153/2012 in the Allahabad High Court, Lucknow bench against the BCCI getting all benefits of a NSF despite consistently refusing to get recognized as a NSF and thus shielding itself from the accompanying responsibilities and in the Counter Affidavit to this petition, the Ministry has said that presently there are 51 recognized NSF, BCCI not being among them. While they have been requesting BCCI to get recognized as NSF but it is not paying any attention to it.

      In these conditions, we do strongly feel that no nominations of BCCI regarding Sports awards shall be accepted till it is willing to get recognized as NSF and to accept the accompanying responsibilities. Otherwise the present situation of no responsibility and all privileges will continue, which seems to go directly against the rule of law and concept of accountability.

      Amitabh Thakur
      Lucknow
      # 094155-34526

      our letter---

      To,
      The Secretary,
      Department of Sports,
      Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports,
      Government of India,

      Shastri Bhawan,
      New Delhi

      Subject- Regarding Arjuna award and Dronacharya award recommendation by
      Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
      Sir,
                      We,
      social activists Amitabh Thakur and Dr Nutan Thakur, residents of 5/426, Viram Khand, Gomti Nagar, Lucknow, present two news articles published in various Internet sites which say that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has recommended the names of young batsman Sri Virat Kohli for the prestigious Arjuna award and former captain Sri Sunil Gavaskar for the Dhyanchand lifetime achievement honour to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, as the last date for receiving nominations for the Arjuna, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Dronacharya and Dhyanchand awards is Tuesday, April 30, 2013.

      We would request you to refer to the Writ Petition No (
      PIL-Civil) No 3153/2012 filed in the Hon’ble Allahabad High Court, Lucknow bench against the Ministry and BCCI by us.
      In its Counter Affidavit to our petition filed by Sri A K Patro, Under Secretary in the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, the Ministry has accepted in that they have been requesting BCCI to get recognized as a National Sports Federation (NSF) but BCCI is not paying any attention to it.  In this affidavit filed by the Ministry, it is said that there are presently 51 recognized NSFs . BCCI had also made a request on 05 February 2011 to get recognized as a NSF. But when the Sports Ministry sent a letter in April 2011 asking BCCI to submit its acceptance to the Government guidelines on age and tenure limits of their office bearers, BCCI never replied back. BCCI did not inform the Ministry about the steps taken for prevention of age fraud and for eradication of doping. It also did not share information regarding mode of selection and selectors of National teams.

      As per the Ministry’s affidavit, though BCCI does not take direct financial assistance but the State provides crores of assistance through Income Tax and Customs duty exemptions. Many State Cricket associations have been provided land at cheaper rates. Thus the Ministry agreed to our submission that BCCI shall get recognized as a NSF.
      The petitioners have prayed in the petition that either BCCI gets the status of NSF and follows the required government rules or the Central Government declares some other willing body as the NSF for cricket.
      In the light of the above facts submitted and admitted by the Ministry, we as the petitioners of the above Writ Petition No (PIL-Civil) No 3153/2012 humbly pray before you to kindly act in accordance with law.
      The Government Rules say that nominations for the various sports awards like the Dronacharya Award, Arjun Award, Dhyan Chand Award and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award awarded by the Department of Sports, Government of India shall be invited only from recognized National Sports Federations (NSFs) and the scrutiny of nominations of the above mentioned sports awards (except the Arjun Award) need compulsorily be done by the concerned NSFAs per Para 6.1 of the Rules framed for awarding the Dronacharya Award for Outstanding Coaches, “the nominations for the Award are invited by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports from all recognized National Sports Federations recognized by the Government of India, Indian Olympic Association and State/UT Governments in the month of January every year. The National Sports Federations recognized by the Government of India; the Indian Olympic Association and the State/UT Governments may nominate more than one and upto three names in a particular year.” As per Para 6.2 of these Rules, in addition to these, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardees of the previous years can also nominate one eligible coach each for Dronacharya Award. This is the same for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award where these points are enumerated at Para 5.1, Para 5.2 and Para 6, Arjuna Awards where these rules are enumerated at Para 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 as regards those who can send the nominations and Dhyan Chand Award where again Para 5.1 and Para 5.2 enumerate who can send the nominations. The only thing different in case of the Arjuna Awards is that here the nominations are not sent for scrutiny to the concerned NSF while for other awards the nominations are sent to the concerned NSFs for scrutiny. Thus there is a clear violation of rules in grating sports awards because BCCI, which is not a NSF is being permitted to send nominations for the various sports awards, despite not being a recognized NSF. A copy of the relevant pages of the Rules for the above mentioned awards have also been attached as Annexure No 3 in our Writ Petition.
      In light of the above facts, we pray before you to ensure strict compliance of law and not to consider the recommendation of BCCI for various awards as long as it does not agree to abide by the law of the land and does not formally agree to become a NSF.

      Only such a strict legal action can stop the present mockery of law where BCCI is trying to have the best of both the worlds on all possible fronts by getting all the privileges of being a de facto NSF but is still keeping its complete autonomy with no government control and no public accountability. This is certainly dangerous, unethical and improper and definitely illegal and it needs to be stopped immediately by your taking a firm view on the matter.

      In case we get no response from you in this matter, we would be forced to move to the competent Court for ensuring the law of the land.

      Lt No- IRDS/BCCI/Arjuna/01                                                                                                   Yours,
      Dated-02/05/2013
                                                                                                                      (Dr Nutan Thakur) (Amitabh Thakur)
                                                                                                                                                      5/426,  Viram Khand,
                                                                                                                                                      Gomti Nagar, Lucknow