Opening new vista- Rs. 5000 compensation on poor Internet services

  • Amitabh Thakur
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013
    Friends,

    I feel really happy to share the news that in an important order opening way for other BSNL subscribers, Arbitrator of the Department of Telecommunication (DOT) has awarded to a consumer a compensation of Rs. 5000 for poor Internet services. I made many written complaints to BSNL about improper functioning of my phone and the wi-fi Internet on landline number 0522-2725001. When nothing happened, I wrote to the DOT requesting it to appoint an Arbitrator under Section 7-B of the Indian Telegraph Act.

    Sri S S Singh, Deputy Director General (PG), DOT, through his order dated May 18, 2012 appointed Sri V P Singh, Deputy DG (Term), Lucknow as the Arbitrator in this dispute. Sri V P Singh heard both the parties where I pressed for compensation while BSNL argued that there was no provision or precedence of provision in Telegraph Act.

    Sri Singh disagreed with the arguments of BSNL and found negligence on the part of BSNL in providing a reasonable quality of service. Hence he ordered a compensation of Rs. 4000 for poor service and Rs. 1000 for expenses on postage etc.

    The incidence seems to suggest that let us all be more vigilant about our rights.

    (Attached- Relevant parts of the order dated 04/04/2013)

    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xKwp2fB5B5LojWFnt0bglE0T8pJST6e-lKTEurcNSK8/edit

    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1FKWtGTWWmtCff7agd0OBiCRmpO8-rdF0Ol8aMotLJvA/edit

    Amitabh Thakur
    Lucknow