Tribals threaten to gherao Raj Bhavan on April 4 MONDAY, 11 MARCH 2013 19:32 PNS | BALANGIR

  • Sudhir Mishra
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2013

      Dear all
      I enclose the news published in the bhubneshwar edition of the Pioneer for your perusal

      Yours
      SudhirMishra/Pioneer/Balangir
      =================================

      --

      Bhubaneswar http://www.dailypioneer.com/templates/ja_teline_iv/images/arrow.png Tribals threaten to gherao Raj Bhavan on April 4

      Tribals threaten to gherao Raj Bhavan on April 4

      MONDAY, 11 MARCH 2013 19:32

      PNS | BALANGIR

      HITS: 1

      ·         E-mail

      ·         Print

      ·         PDF

      inShare

      Protesting against the alleged lack of action of the State Government against the fake ST caste certificate holders and its apathetic attitude towards their genuine demands of tribals, the Odisha Adivasi Kalyan Mahasangh (OAKM) on Saturday threatened to gherao the Raj Bhavan in Bhubaneswar on April 4.

      This was decided at an executive body meeting of the Mahasangh presided over by Braja Kishore Singhbhoi here.

      “All the Constitutional benefits provided to tribals have been usurped by non-tribals and fake tribal certificate-holding people. Though we have been demanding immediate cancellation and dismissal of the fake caste certificates on many occasions, there has been no action in this regard which has forced us to resort to agitation,” said OKAM secretary Niranjan Bisi.

      “Though, we have submitted a list of fake caste certificate holders to the Government since last seven years, no positive steps have been experienced so far in this regard,” said Bisi.

      While the OKAM has identified 370 fake caste certificate holders in Balangir district, there are 204 such persons in Bargarh distgrict, 154 in Subarnapur, 889 in Kandhamal, 157 in Kalahandi and 480 each in Nabrangapur and Koraput districts, said Bisi.

      “As per one of the directions of the Supreme Court, the fake ST caste certificates are to be cancelled within three months of the complaint and all fake ST tribal employees are to be dismissed from service. But the Government of Odisha is not acting expeditiously in dismissing such employees who continue to enjoy the benefits meant for tribals. In fact, the Government is taking a lenient view on the fake caste certificate holders,” Bisi said.

      He further said, “The Governor is the custodian of tribal rights in the State. We will submit our demands and request the Governor to intervene in this issue and provide justice to tribals.”

      SudhirMishra
      Journalist
      The Pioneer
      Balangir(Odisha)