Fwd: Resolutions adopted at the Meeting on Capital Punishment and the State of Indian Democracy, 19th Feb, JTSA
- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mahtab Alam <activist.journalist@...>
Date: 19 February 2013 22:36
Subject: Resolutions adopted at the Meeting on Capital Punishment and the State of Indian Democracy, 19th Feb, JTSA
To: Sukla Sen <sukla.sen@...>
Resolutions adopted at the Meeting on Capital Punishment and the State of Indian Democracy
Following are the resolutions adopted at a Meeting on Capital Punishment and the State of Indian Democracy, organised by Jamia Teachers’ Solidarity Association (JTSA) and Addressed by Justice (retd) A P Shah, Adv. Nitya Ramakrishnan, Iftikhar Gilani and Sukumar Muralidharan (both senior Journalist).
19th February 2013
1. This House expresses its outrage at the secret hanging of Afzal Guru, and the cynical and callous denial of his right to seek judicial remedy.
2. This House demands that the mortal remains of Afzal Guru be handed over to his family without any delay.
3. This House strongly condemns the assault on Kashmiri students and others who were protesting the execution of Afzal Guru, in Delhi and elsewhere, by Bajrang Dal.
4. This House denounces the government’s attempts to harass, intimidate and gag senior journalist Iftikhar Gilani and Delhi University teacher SAR Geelani.
5. This House demands that the Special Cell personnel involved in this exercise of intimidation be suspended immediately.
6. This House condemns the cowardly attempts to rob the Kashmiri people of their right to protest through clamp downs, curfews and censorship.
7. This House demands an immediate moratorium on executions, including those of Simon, Meesakara Mathayan, Bilavendran and Gnanaprakasam.
8. This House strongly feels that capital punishment is a cruel and degrading form of punishment, and has no place in civilized society. India must follow the lead of over 141 countries which have abolished the death penalty and strike it off from its criminal justice system.--
Peace Is Doable