Re: [Arkitect India] Fwd: Karnataka High Court Ruled that all children have right to free education as per 21A [1 Attachment]

  • naaz khair
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Thank you! Since we are looking at all schools, state-run, minority and non-minority schools, I would strongly recommend that academics/representatives of Madarsa Board, Madarsa Modernization, Darul Ulooms are also invited to the workshop.

      Best regards,

      Naaz

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Shaheen Ansari <ansarishaheen@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Shaheen Ansari included below]

      FYI

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013

        Dear All,

        __,_._,On behalf of Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS)
        and Third World Network (TWN), it is our pleasure to invite you to a panel
        discussion on the *"Post 2015: The Global Development Agenda"*, on the *19th
        of February, 2013, Tuesday, between 3 - 6 pm, at Conference Room No.2, 2nd
        Floor, YWCA of Delhi, Ashoka Road*, next to Bangla Sahib Gurudwara, New
        Delhi-110001. Dr. Martin Khor, Executive Director, South Centre, Geneva,
        will initiate the discussion.

        In 2000, 189 nations made a promise to free the world from extreme poverty
        and multiple deprivations which were later shaped into the eight Millennium
        Development Goals (MDGs). As we all know, the deadline for achieving the
        MDGs was 2015. However, apart from that of poverty reduction, achievements
        in terms of the other goals have lagged far behind targets. On the other
        hand, the MDG approach has itself been criticised for its narrow
        structuring and over-emphasis on indicators and aggregate targets, which
        often obscure achievements at disaggregated levels and undermine processes,
        especially qualitative ones, which fall outside the eight MDGs. It is clear
        that our concerted effort towards achieving a just and equitable world is
        still as necessary as it was in 2000.

        With only two years left till 2015, the development debate is once more
        open. The UN agencies, supported by national governments, international
        institutions, think tanks, CSOs, people’s representatives and groups, are
        trying to put together a post-2015 global development agenda. The first of
        these processes is initiated by the Secretary General (SG) which includes,
        among other things, a High Level Panel of eminent persons to advise the SG
        on the global development framework. The UN is also conducting
        consultations with all above groups on several themes including
        inequalities, governance, growth and employment, health, education,
        environmental sustainability, food security, conflict, population dynamics,
        energy and water. At the third level, national consultations are being held
        in over 100 countries involving major stakeholders.

        At a parallel level, as an outcome of the Rio+20 process or the UN
        Conference on Sustainable Development, member states have agreed to develop
        a set of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will build upon the
        MDGs and converge with the post 2015 development agenda. The SDGs comprise
        of three pillars; economic, social and environmental.

        There are many questions that revolve around the post-2015 global
        development agenda. Do we generally adhere to the MDGs but improve upon
        this approach, or do we abandon it altogether and find new approaches to
        development? How do we combine national priorities with an internationally
        applicable framework?  How do we put in place a system that ensures the
        achievement of the post 2015 development agenda and how do we finance it?
        Do we put onus on national governments or do we need to come up with an
        international framework that can be held accountable for the success or
        failure to take the development agenda in the expected direction?  And
        finally, the question is what will be the relationship between the Post
        2015 process and the SDGs? How will these two frameworks be combined?

        It is important to discuss these issues at all levels and among various
        groups. We need to understand the process, the issues and contribute our
        views in order to ensure our ideas, concerns and demands are taken on
        board. With this objective in mind, we invite all of you to participate in
        this event and share your views.

        A line in confirmation will be deeply appreciated. Please email Saral Kumar
        at skumar75e@....
         With best regards,

        Biswajit Dhar
                     K. M. Gopakumar