Re: [Arkitect India] Martyrdom Sullied by Reckless Naming of Fish Market

  • Shaheen Ansari
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
      Dear Dr. Farouqui Sb.
      Arkitect India supports this initiative. Could you please post an online signature campaign so that others can sign the petition.
      Reg
      Shaheen

      On 17 February 2013 08:19, Ather Farouqui <farouqui@...> wrote:

      Dear Friends:

      It is a matter of national shame that the insensitive authorities of the Delhi Government have so recklessly renamed the fish market at Ghazipur as Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan Fish Market supposedly to honour the memory of this great son of India and famed Urdu poet. To set this right I have sent a scathing letter (copied below) to the Chief Minister of Delhi and requested her to rectify this horrendous faux pas ASAP. This matter not only relates to the Urdu-speaking populace, freedom fighters and concerned citizens, it is a transgression on the sanctity of the Indian nation which was formed from the blood and toil of such freedom fighters and martyrs as Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan. My letter to the CM was written from the notion that if the Delhi Government has run out  of ideas to constructively and judiciously commemorate our martyrs,  poets and intellectuals, it should at least refrain from making a  mockery of their sacrifices and dedication to the cause of the nation.

      If you agree with this intervention please join the movement to correct this wrong and suggest to the CM a more apt way to immortalize Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan and honour his memory.

      Sincerely

      Ather Farouqui
      General Secretary
      Anjuman Taraqqi Urdu Hind,Urdu Ghar, Urdu Ghar Marg,
      Rouse Avenue
      New Delhi-11002
      Cell phone number: 0091-8527-014443

      Ms Sheila Dikshit                                                    14 February 2013
      Chief Minister of Delhi
      New Secretariat
      IP Estate
      New Delhi-110002

      Dear Chief Minister,

      Greetings from the central offices of the Anjuman Taraqqi Urdu (Hind)! On the behest of Anjuman and as its recently appointed General Secretary, I would like to bring to your notice an intriguing issue that can only be considered a matter of national shame as it not only shows an Urdu poet, and by corollary the entire Urdu community, in poor light but also runs the risk of provoking the ire of freedom fighters. I am sure many concerned citizens like me would not like that the erstwhileMurga Machli Market of the the Jama Masjid area (shifted to Ghazipur area) should be named Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan Fish Market. The fact that it is located right in front of the Murga market is double jeopardy which even a student of class V will testify. This supposedly to honour the memory of a great son of India and an eminent poet of Urdu, the national language! There cannot be a more apt example of myopic policies and bad taste. It is even more surprising as this atrocity has been committed under the auspices of an urbanized chief minister such as you who claims to be a Dilliwali! To drive home my point let me quote a few lines on the sights and sounds of Delhi, with reference to this market, described in one of Delhi's premier magazines Time Out:

      'If you are up for a more pungent olfactory sensation, dive into Shaheed Ashfaqulla Khan Fish Market, created in 1999 in the sahdow (sic) of a landfill as a replacement for the famously filthy Jama Masjid fish bazaar. Around 4am daily, the trucks roll in with catfish and crabs in water tanks, lobsters, tuna, mackerel, kingfish, prawns and hilsa on ice.(Time Out on August 31 2012 9.51am, Time Out website,emphasis
      added).

      Do we want to pay homage to our national heroes with glowing commemorations or shower them in a deluge of crabs, lobsters, tuna and prawns? Is this the legacy we want to bequeath to our young generation? This is surely nothing but a disservice to the memory of this brave freedom fighter and martyr for the cause of the nation and also to Urdu which has been a victim of linguistic genocide by the State in free India.

      Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan should only be remembered as an Indian who was an Urdu shayar par excellence, a brave freedom fighter and a martyr who gave up his life for his country at the young age of 27. Therefore, it will be a great service to his memory, if you rectified this grave faux pas and reconsidered honouring his martyrdom in a more appropriate manner befitting his stature.

      I will be grateful if you could put right this bungle as soon as possible and an acknowledgement of this note will be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Ather Farouqui

      Ather Farouqui
      General Secretary
      Anjuman Taraqqi Urdu Hind,Urdu Ghar, Urdu Ghar Marg,
      Rouse Avenue
      New Delhi-11002.
      Contact (Ofc):             +9111-2323 7210
       (Fax): +9111-2323 6299

      --
      Dr. Shaheen Ansari
      Arkitect India