UPDATE FROM POSCO PRATIRODH SANGARM SAMITI (PPSS) AS ON 11TH FEBRUARY 2013

  • alter nate
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013

    PPSS leader Mr. Abhaya Sahoo ends his fast.

    Dear Friends,

    Yesterday, i.e. on 10th February 2013, Mr. Abhaya Sahoo, the chairperson of PPSS was persuaded by the villagers and visiting activists from across the state and outside to call off his six-day hunger strike as the state government suspended temporarily the forcible land acquisition process owing to the resistance on one hand and the support and solidarity the movement received from across the globe. The PPSS wishes to thank all those who expressed their support and solidarity with the movement. Though it is difficult to predict the next move of the government but they might not resort to forcible land acquisition now since the state assembly’s budget session is about to start soon.

    As you are aware,  Mr.  Abhaya Sahoo ,  had to launch  an indefinite hunger strike since 5 February 2013 in protest against the illegal land acquisition by the government. He demanded immediate withdrawal of police forces from Gobindpur village.  Due to the heavy protest from the villagers, the government has been compelled to stalled land acquisition work.  Needless to say the withdrawal of police from Gobindpur is our moral victory.  Although a majority of the armed police personnel had been withdrawn from the site outside Gobindpur where land was being acquired for POSCO by the State government by demolishing betel vineyards, two platoons of police are still camping in the village.

    We have decided to continue our mass peaceful demonstration at Govindpur till the police completely withdraws from Gobindpur village.  Today, prominent social activist Dr. B.D. Sharma is joining with our villagers at Gobindpur village.

    Officials of POSCO and district administration launch together:-

    In the media, POSCO –India is repeatedly saying that it has no role in the forceful land acquisition. We are attaching herewith a photo where the POSCO India official at Paradip Mr. S.N. Singh, General manager Construction, (in red shirt, second from right) was having lunch with the district collector S K Mallick (Second from left in sky blue shirt) and Superintendent of Police (Extreme left in Khaki).  You can get the more details in this link http://tehelka.com/land-acquisition-in-proposed-posco-area-temporarily-halted.  The POSCO-India is providing all such logistical support at the site to drive out the people.   If the district administration will work as the agent of POSCO, how the common villagers will have trust on the administration to get justice. We would request friends not to trust POSCO India press notes as they are sharing blatant lies. They have been instrumental in unleashing a terror in the area by engaging paid agents and goons. At the same time they are trying to portray a very good image about themselves with the friendly elements in media.

    You may also know that the recent fraud committed by POSCO-India. The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has slapped a penalty of close to Rs.10 crore on one of its associate companies in India, POSCO India Delhi Processing Centre (IDPC), for alleged tax evasion.  The customs department has also ordered the confiscation of goods worth about Rs. 200 crore imported by the company.

    We would request you to please keep a watch on POSCO and to please remain in touch with us –the victims and potential victims of POSCO’s invasion.

    Kindly circulate this mail widely.

    Hoping for solidarity,

    Prashant Paikary

    Spokesperson, POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti

    Mobile no-09437571547

    E-Mail - prashantpaikary@...

  • ashok.chowdhury@...
    Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      Dear Comrade Prashant,
                                          Congratulation to all the members, leaders and friends of PPSS for achieving this important victory and for taking the bold decision to confront the attackers. We are sure the people  with the able leadership of PPSS will come ahead against all future attack from the State-Company duo.
      I am glad to inform you that our delegation is leaving for Cuttack this evening. Ms Roma,organizing secretary is leading the delegation of community women and men leaders from 4 states.I would also request you to guide them so that they reach Govindpur at the earliest. I will be joining the team on the 16th morning.
      Warm regards
      In solidarity,
      Ashok Choudhary
      NFFPFW

      [Attachment(s) from alter nate included below]

      --

      C/O Vikalp Social Organisation

      11, Mangal Nagar
      Saharanpur - 247001