Re: [Arkitect India] Seeking alternative school options

  • Janaki Rajan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
      Blue Mountain School managed by Amukta Mahapatra

      On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Goldy George <goldymgeorge10@...> wrote:

      Dear friends and comrades:
      This is to enquire if there is any schools in the entire country which could provide a space for my daughter. She is now in Class 8 in an ordinary malayalam cum english medium school in my village in Kerala. Now as my parents are old to take care of her and also that she wants to shift, I place this request before all of you. I am basically looking for alternative school. As I tried to do some information research on such schools, I find it too much expensive. Otherwise some of those do not have any validation as per the rules of the government of India. I understand that she needs to grow in information and knowledge and actually she is a bright child, but she has less interest in course and syllabus that is taught in the school. She at times places some strong arguments and challenges the current education system. She says that there is no new space for anything to be explored no new inventions, no scientific knowledge. All that is being taught are and the student being expected to do is the "rattu tota" business.

      I am completely stuck and I seek the support from people who have some idea of any such schools. Please keep in mind that I am a very ordinary activist and I would not be having too much money to pay for fees and all. Reasonable and moderate fees and cost could be borne for sure. However it would be difficult otherwise. If nothing comes off, then then only option left for her would be to off school and wait till she could go for something on her own. I hope to hear from some of the experts and suggest me something concrete.

      Thanks and regards
      Goldy

      --
      ---------------------------------
      "Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, ethnicity, etc. Otherwise it leads to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this...."

      GOLDY M. GEORGE

      Founder
      Dalit Mukti Morcha
      Chhattisgarh
      Mob: 09893277910 (CG)

      also

      Research Scholar
      Center for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy,
      Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai

      Mob: 09619971944 (Mum)

    • Surjit Thokchom
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013

        Dear Goldy,

        Are you looking for a residential school ? Or are you provoking us for an alternative vision of education? Are you using the term, "alternative education" in the same way as GOI (as bad as NFE) or looking for an experimental school with a different (more humane) pedagogy and content ? Do  your daughter herself and both of you as parent along with grandparents have agreement on the nature of the school, you are looking ? These are immediate questions I have in my mind. If you are a person with a bent of mind on questioning the present education in terms of objective, content and pedagogy, nestled with your concerns for your daughter, I will love to engage in discussion with you. This discussion may not  resolve your problem immediately. Please keep in mind that one cannot jump in the river twice. I am thinking it loudly that it is better to choose either of the three- home schooling or open schooling or a government school or an economy class private school with conventional approach. Whichever way, I wish you all the best.

        My children were in the so called the best school in my area. Neither me nor my children were happy with the school. I was in a dilemma to decide. The situation was made for difficult as there were no consensus among the family members. Money was never an issue for I was convinced that all the expensive schools in India gave worse education in term of quality. Finally I did a compromise as immediate step. And now  I am fighting for an education that will benefit my grandchildren. Please bear in mind that your child is sandwiched between traditional and state agenda. In many cases, religious viewpoints will cream the tradition. Pulling out children from school has good reason with a lot of potential to destroy child's self esteem. It is not easy.

        I also would like to add: if your child is now started  questioning the present school system, it is indeed a good beginning. But one must not underestimate Indian State's policy to destroy her. There is already a fatwa embedded in both  tradition and GOI's policies to such Indian Children.  We need to support and protect her with all our heart and mind. I am with her.

        regards

        Surjit

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
          Dear Surjeet,

          Inciseful as always! 'No man is an island' and we are all part of the society we live in. Until a national policy on common school system is put in place where every child can look forward to a school where she will be a valued member of a classroom that embraces all sections of children, managed by civil society with proportionate representation of all sections of parents and funded in a manner that is adequate for equitable educaiton, parents of alll hues will face such a problem.

          The genuine anguish and questioning both of you as parents face today is also the same question every parent rich or poor is asking-and voucher i snot the answer-it simply extends to the poor, education that fee paying schools which Surjit accurately questions.

          A functioning school of 4-6 hours, 220 days, if it is unable to have a clear vision and spirit of the Preamble of the Constitution is not going to fulfil what our children need.

          That said, parents cannot wacth helplessly as their own children grow without making some effort to educate them the best they are able at present.

          Alternative schools, with clear vision and philosophy of education are the only options for the fortunate few who can afford them and find a place in them-they are also a courageous few, for they are prepared to question the trend of private school education which are sweeping the country.

          As educated thinking parents, I applaud your questioning and consider you the vanguard for the urgent movement towards good education-for your children-and this cannot be fully realised without equivalent  system for all children.

          I suggest Blue Mountain in this spirit-it has revived after nearly disappearing, under an inspiring leader whose view of education includes universality. Her contribution to tamilnadu's education has to be seen to be believed.

          Janaki

          On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Surjit Thokchom <ssthokchom@...> wrote:

[...]

        • rajagopalan ss
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
            An alternative school is at present more or less a residential one and one that is far out of reach of a commoner. It is the pedagogy, child-friendly environment,
            relationships forged etc., that should make it an alternative.
            Now the schools do not have any scope for deviation from the 'prescribed' curricula. Even Tagore was  at last forced to seek 'recognition' which meant surrendering of its autonomy and acceptance of the supreme model. Unless higher education and employment entry are delinked from 'Govet-run Examinations, it is very difficult for any school to have a deviant path of its own. It was my practical experience.
            ssr

            To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com