FF report on disappearances from 'Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female'

  • Kirity Roy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013

    A Fact Finding Report  on disappearances from 'Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female' Incident.

    Uttarpara Destitute Home for female incident is now a well discussed topic for popular printed and electronic media. 11 women aged between 22 and 35 years escaped from the said home without leaving behind any single trace about their present whereabouts. Three among the total eleven women, are Bangladeshi nationals. The rest eights are Indians. Fact finding team of Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha (MASUM) probed into the said matter and found out the following details:

    “At the early hour of dawn of 31.12.2012, 11 inmates of Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female escaped. They broke the grille of their dormitory; passed over the home-kitchen’s roof and crossed the backside wall of that home” – as police stated. On this side, the wall is relatively lower.

    Home authority at first informed this incident to the police of Uttarpara Police Station via phone. Later on they reported the said incident to Uttarpara Police Station. Police told the home authority that at first investigation must be done by the Social Welfare Department of West Bengal Government. Afterwards they would start the police investigation. Police of Uttarpara Police Station started a case against the missing women vide a police case no. 461/12 dated 31.12.2012 under section 224 Indian Penal Code. But police authority intentionally overlooked the section 223 of Indian Penal Code, where “Escape from confinement negligently suffered by a public servant” was stated as cognizable crime. Section 223 of Indian Penal Code ought to be charged against the Uttarpara Destitute Home for women.

    This incident came to the broad daylight via printed and electronic media. On 03.01.2013 our fact finding team went to the Uttarpara Home for investigation on the matter. At the main gate the gate-keeper wanted to know about the fact finder’s identity and the purpose of visit. Our fact finding team furnished the identity proof and mentioned the purpose of visit. But the Home-Super, when informed by the gate-keeper, straightforwardly denied meeting our fact find team. The Home-Super told that for any kind enquiry, our fact finding team must acquire a permit from the Social Welfare Department of West Bengal State Government.

    After that our fact finding team went to the Uttarpara Police Station and meet Inspector In-Charge Mr. Priyobroto Bakshi. He gave us detailed information on the matter.

    Mr. Priyobroto Bakshi said that polices of V. K. Margh police station of Pune, Maharshtra, apprehended 50 trafficked women under Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. By the order of the Magistrate of Pune, these women were sent to West Bengal for returning them to their homes. At first they were lodged in Liluah Home for destitute women. On 23.11.2012, 18 of them were sent to Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female. Arrangement for sending those women to different Homes in West Bengal was under process. He said that after Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female informed them about that incident at around 4.30 am. The first train on Howrah Main Line had already passed from Uttarpara Railway Station. Police immediately posted police guard at Dakshineswar, Bali Halt. They also alerted the Railway Police Force (RPF) of Sealdah and Howrah Railway division. They also posted police guard on the jetties of Kolkata port area. But they have found not the slightest trace about their present whereabouts. Two days before that well circulated escape incident, police had arrested a trafficker from that area and sent him to the court. By birth the trafficker is from Bihar State. Now police is interrogating the trafficker to extract any important clue on the incident. A female trafficker naming Putul is also now being interrogated for any lead to the whereabouts of the 11 mysteriously missing female inmates of Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female. But still nothing is found. Mr. Priyobroto Bakshi regrets that many police personnel are not much skilled and the work pressure on police stations is also very heavy, so they hardly get enough time and opportunities for giving attention to a comb-searching investigation on serious matters like this.

    Our fact find team got a list of the missing women from Mr. Priyobroto Bakshi.

    1.                  Smt. Doli Sardar, daughter of Mr. Nisaruddin Sardar, aged about 27 years, village & Post Office – Gunakar Koti, Police Station – Ashauni, District – Satkshira, Bangladesh.

    2.                  Kiran Molla, daughter of Late Abu Bakhar, aged about 39 years village – Panyopara, Post Office – Bastav Khali, District – Murshidabad.

    3.                  Nagar Muktar Khan alias Lata Najar Khan, daughter of Mr. Muktar Khan, aged about 30 years, village – Patkel Poto, Post Office – Aamdubi, Police Station – Banra, District – North 24 Parganas.

    4.                  Smt. Nilima Biswas, daughter of Mr. Jalan Biswas, aged about – 35 years, village – Dhoakula, Post Office & Police Station – Behar Para, District – Jessore, Bangladesh.

    5.                  Smt. Priyanka Ghosh, daughter of Late Ananta Ghosh, aged about – 28 years, village – Shal Bania, Post Office & Police Station – Chakda, District – Nadia.

    6.                  Smt. Puja Rani Sarkar, daughter of Late Santu Sarkar, aged about – 22 years, village – Jati Nagar, Post Office – Gouranga Nagar, Police Station – New Town, District – North 24 Parganas.

    7.                  Smt. Ratna Biswas, daughter of Mr. Atin Biswas, aged about – 25 years, village – Shitlatala, Post Office – Raman Kati, Police Station – Jessore; Bangladesh.

    8.                  Smt. Rima Rojbul Sheikh, daughter of Mr. Radikudding Sheikh, aged about – 26 years, village – Huja, Post Office – Akaipur, Police Station – Gopalnagar, District – North 24 Parganas.

    9.                  Smt. Sima Sheikh alias Jharna Kokman , daughter of Late Kalu Sheikh, aged about – 28 years, village & Post Office – Aamtala, Police Station – Beldanga, District – Murshidabad.

    10.              Smt. Shrabanti Majumder, daughter of Mr. Tapas Kumar Majumder, aged about – 24 years, Police Station – Gopal Nagar, District – North 24 Parganas.

    11.              Smt. Suman Das, daughter of Late Ram Das, aged about – 27 years, village – Shal Baniya, Post Office & Police Station – Chakda, District – Nadia.

    The 3 Bangladeshi fugitives were not alleged with any case under 14 Foreigners Act.

    Over a week period has passed since the strange escaping of the 11 women. Where are they now? Are they safe or unsafe? What will happen to their lot? Are they trafficked again to any new red-light area? Why police from the initial point of time tried not to suspect the story made by Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female? Who will answer these questions? We are putting forward these questions to the administration on behalf of the countless friends who are upholding human rights all over the world. ….. 21 January 2013

    --
    Kirity Roy
    Secretary
    Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha
    (MASUM)
    &
    National Convenor (PACTI)
    Programme Against Custodial Torture & Impunity
    40A, Barabagan Lane (4th Floor)
    Balaji Place
    Shibtala
    Srirampur
    Hooghly
    PIN- 712203
    Tele-Fax - +91-33-26220843
    Phone- +91-33-26220844 / 0845
    e. mail : kirityroy@...
    Web: www.masum.org.in
  • vijay.r@...
    Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
      Dear Ms. Roy,

      Thanks for your efforts! I share your anguish. However, I would like to
      bring to your notice some issues:

      1. These women are trafficked women and therefore are seen as victims
      under the law (Immoral Trafficking Prevention Act). Words such as
      'apprehended' should be avoided as it gives the impression that they
      are offenders. In fact under the law (Section 16 and 17 of ITPA),
      victims of trafficking are 'rescued' by the police and kept in a
      protective home under court orders till the final disposal of the case,
      which is based on the social inquiry report filed by a Probation Officer
      (PO) before the magistrate (within 21 days of the victim being produced
      before the magistrate). The court passes an order after the PO's report,
      which may include repatriation to home state/native place, return to
      family, detention in a correctional institution for a period ranging
      from one to three years, or releasing her back in the community.

      2. The real names and addresses of the victims should not be made
      public, as it further stigmatises them and one may inadvertently play
      into the hands of traffickers.

      3. Many women 'escape' or 'run away' from these homes as do probably do
      not feel assured that positive steps are being taken to help them rejoin
      the mainstream. The rehabilitation mechanisms / schemes in women's
      shelter homes need a complete overhaul. The residents are kept in 24
      hours custody and often treated as deviants. There are very few civil
      society organisations working towards the rehabilitation of women who
      reside in shelter homes. The vocational training and education
      programmes in these homes are outdated and need to be transformed. The
      women get left out of citizenship processes and documentation such as
      getting voter ID cards, ration cards, Aadhar cards; they are unable to
      open bank accounts due to lack of residence proof and also unable to get
      access to welfare schemes such as widow pension or oldage pension
      schemes.

      There has to be a paradigm shift in the way we treat women living in
      shelter homes - they remain one of the most socially excluded
      populations in our country.

      regards,

      Vijay Raghavan, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor & Chairperson
      Centre for Criminology and Justice
      School of Social Work, TISS

      On 2013-01-21 11:34, Kirity Roy wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > Over a week period has passed since the strange escaping of the 11
      > women. Where are they now? Are they safe or unsafe? What will happen
      > to their lot? Are they trafficked again to any new red-light area?
      > Why
      > police from the initial point of time tried not to suspect the story
      > made by Uttarpara Destitute Home for Female? Who will answer these
      > questions? We are putting forward these questions to the
      > administration on behalf of the countless friends who are upholding
      > human rights all over the world. ….. 21 JANUARY 2013
      >
      > --
      > Kirity Roy
      > Secretary
      > Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha
      > (MASUM)
      > &
      > National Convenor (PACTI)
      > Programme Against Custodial Torture & Impunity

    • asha bajpai
      Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
        DEar Ms Roy
        I agree with Dr Vijay Raghvan that , the victims of trafficking are in need of care and protection and need to be sensitively dealt with. Their names and addresses cannot be revealed in this manner. We need to provide specialized rehabilitation plans for these victims so that they see hope for their future  in the place where they stay
          Regards
        Prof. Asha Bajpai,
        Dean, School of Law, Rights and Constitutional Governance,
        Tata Institute of Social Sciences Deonar, Mumbai 400088, INDIA
        Cell: 09820441230, 9870451230
        Telephone: 912225525382, 25525389
        Fax :912225525050