A piece on rape and the law

  • Dr Walter Fernandes
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
    Dear Friends

    A happy new year to you. I am attaching a piece on the raped woman which was published yesterday (December 30) in Seven Sisters' Post of Guwahati. We need a serious debate on these issues. A happy new year again.

    Walter

    Dr Walter Fernandes
    North Eastern Social Research Centre
    110 Kharghuli Road (1st floor)
    Guwahati 781-004
    Assam, India
    Tel. (+91-361) 2602819
    Fax: (+91-361) 2602713 (Attn. NESRC)
    Email: nesrcghy@...
    Website: www.nesrc.org
    Webpage: www.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/NESRC

  • Surjit Thokchom
    Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
      Dear Dr. Walter,
      Thanks a lot for the article. It is good one. I wish that we continue the debate it. I believe that patriarchy as an ideology must be challenged. But it has far reaching implication demanding to dismantle several existing social, political and economic institutions.  Look to our society. There exists  three values systems in our society drawn from three types institutions viz. the tradition, the religion and the state. Each one of them has their sphere of influence displaying their hegemony. I includes market agenda in State. All the existing institutions including that of state are gender biased and bent towards patriarchy. Challenging patriarchy is reconstructing a new world order. Of course, it must be a journey. Human mind are complex and therefore the solution is also complex. Our affiliation to anyone of the three institutions above with unquestioning loyalty makes our mind uncritical. In such situation, there is  every possibility that genuine emotion of today with middle class majority may become an instrument  of adjustment leading what Paulo Frerie called "false generosity"
      Thank you for this mail. My best wishes to all for the New year 2013!
      Surjit

      On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Dr Walter Fernandes <walter.nesrc@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Dr Walter Fernandes included below]

      Dear Friends

      A happy new year to you. I am attaching a piece on the raped woman which was published yesterday (December 30) in Seven Sisters' Post of Guwahati. We need a serious debate on these issues. A happy new year again.

      Walter

      Dr Walter Fernandes
      North Eastern Social Research Centre
      110 Kharghuli Road (1st floor)
      Guwahati 781-004
      Assam, India
      Tel. (+91-361) 2602819
      Fax: (+91-361) 2602713 (Attn. NESRC)
      Email: nesrcghy@...
      Website: www.nesrc.org
      Webpage: www.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/NESRC

    • Pankaj Jain
      Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
        A very justified anger on the inhuman act of a group 5-6 is probably making a very large number of sane people loose their balanced perspective and pronounce simplistic judgments on very complex questions. It is, therefore, worthwhile to take a pause and think of verious issues involved.

        1. The sad event involved not only (a) rape but also (b) inhuman torture and sadistic pleasure seeking. Should these two aspects be treated independently, or the same remedy be applied for both acts of inhumanity?

        2. The people involved were intoxicated, so think about the 'issues in the permitted free and uncontrolled use of alcohal in individual or group settings'.

        3. One of the worst offender was probably a 17 year old. Should the protection of 'juvenile' status be provided to adults above 16 year age.

        I suppose dealing with above three undisputed aspects should itself be complex enough, mixing the 'status of women in society/ patriarchy' could mean that the above relatively straight-forward issues are relegated to the background. Can we keep the focus on some specific issues, lest every thing is lost in the cacaphony of voices, all justified in some ways.

        Pankaj Jain

        Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
        Thank you Surjit. Yes, I agree that the debate should continue and we should work for change in our social attitudes. One possible way of doing it is to translate and publish this and other material in different languages. You could perhaps do it in Manipuri. I am attaching a slightly modified version of the piece because I had only three hours to write the original one and I forgot some important points such as that the rate of conviction has come down to 20 percent. Bye and all the best

        Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
          Dear Surjit and Walter,

          Hegemony can only exert itself through tacit consent of individual males to existing collution mechanisms-name it what you will, social, political, economic.

          I am adding to the debate as a woman though I do realise as a woman, I realise that men use words like debates for men to men: women are mere bodies for men to do what they want with.

          As a woman, who is still alive and therfore can think, I am disgusted with the men in my country-what kind of monsters have we women given birth to?

          'Happy' New Year!

          Janaki

          On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Surjit Thokchom <ssthokchom@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Ashok Agarwal
          Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
            Hello Janakiji, How are you? When we are meeting and discussing RTE?
            Ashok Agarwal
            Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

            Email: nesrcghy@... <mailto:nesrcghy@...>
            Website: www.nesrc.org <http://www.nesrc.org>