Re: [Arkitect India] Vinodhini - we are with you

  • janaki rajan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
      We are with you Sonali and Vinodini-You will always be beautiful to us.

      On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Paadam Pm <paadam.pm@...> wrote:

            VINODIINI
      SONALI MUKEHERJI

      Hi,
      One of the most horrific outcome of horrors of acid attack is that the victim has to endure  unimaginable, continuous pain and infection and series of corrective surgeries life long.

      You would have read about the suffering of the victim, a bright and beautiful software engineer Vinodhini, daughter of a poor watchman from Karaikal.  For vinodhini, did her beauty turn out to be the curse ?

      Sonali Mukherjee endured the 'unendurable'  pain of acid attack for the past 10 years, overcame suicidal tendency and a plea for euthanasia and has now become a millionaire-hero after appearing on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'.  What a resolve? Trust, Sonali's success will give the confidence to Vinodhini.
      I think, this tragedy should be an eye-opener to start a National and rather global campaign at UN level to create awareness, bring in a policy tools to reduce access to acid and much stringent laws to curb this terrible menace of acid attacks, almost all of them women and to make specialized life long treatment, counselling and rehabilitation available, accessible and affordable for the victims.

      I am going today afternoon to meet her family at Kilpauk Medical college hospital to express solidarity and see what else can be done.
      Friends, many of you too might be keen to visit the hospital, to share the pain and to say 'Dear Vinodhini, We are with you and your family at this hour'. http://www.facebook.com/narayanan.ananth/posts/529701487040510

      Narayanan.A (98403 93581)

      By A Selvaraj, TNN | Dec 6, 2012, 04.33 AM IST

      Kin of acid attack victim seek funds for treatment
      CHENNAI: A team of doctors at the Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital (KMCH) performed a surgery on the eyelids of software engineer J Vinodhini who was attacked with acid by construction worker Suresh, who had stalked her for months.

      Doctors say she has lost vision in both eyes. Her family has started raising funds through donations for her treatment. They have opened a bank account and requested donors to deposit even meagre amounts to help her.

      KMCH burns ward chief Dr V Jayaraman said, "A team of doctors performed the surgery on her eyelids on Tuesday. We will take the skin from her thighs to reconstruct the burnt skin of her face."

      Vinodhini was admitted to KMCH with 38% burns all over her body. "We have the facilities to reconstruct and do cosmetic surgery for her face and other body parts. We will perform the surgeries in a phased manner," Dr Jayaraman added.

      Vinodhini's father V Jayabalan, a security guard at a private school in Karaikudi, requested the public to help him raise funds for her treatment. Jayabalan has opened an account with Indian Bank branch in Kilpauk. People can deposit the money directly to savings bank account no. 603 899 558 in the name of V Jayabalan. The bank's IFSC number is IDIB000K037, and the swift code is IDIBINBBTSY. The swift account number is 358 202 118 001. People can also call the branch chief manager on +91-9444391018 if they have queries.

      A police officer said Suresh attacked Vinodhini on November 14 when she was walking with a friend in Karaikal at 10.30pm.

      The officer said he was obsessed with her. During interrogation, Suresh told police he had decided to take revenge on her because she had lodged a complaint against him. "Her family complained to police because he had been stalking her and had threatened her several times after she turned him down," the officer said.

      The Karaikal police arrested Suresh, 29, and charged him with attempted murder under Section 307 of the Indian Penal Code.

      Acid attack victim wins crores on TV show

      Reuters Nov 30, 2012, 10.57AM IST
      (Left with 70 percent burns…)

      NEW DELHI: Four months ago, acid attack victim Sonali Mukherjee just wanted to die to escape her suffering.

      Now, the 27-year-old is a rupee millionaire after appearing on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' and plans to use her experience to help combat the heinous crime of acid violence, which kills hundreds of people every year, most of them women.

       22 operations and nine more are remaining, so that at least my eyes and ears are functional," Mukherjee told the Times of India. "If I recover, I want to help people like me. In my nine years of struggle, I have faced a lot. I know the kind of difficulties we have to face, with no help from any quarter."

      Nine years ago, three men broke into Mukherjee's home in the middle of the night as she slept and poured acid over her face - burning her skin, melting away her eyelids, nose, mouth and ears and leaving her partly deaf and blind - simply because she spurned their sexual advances.

      Left with 70 percent burns and severe disfigurement, Mukherjee, who was a 17-year-old college student in the central Indian town of Dhanbad at the time, endured years of suffering, confined to her home. Her family could not afford the expensive reconstructive surgery she needed to help her live a normal life.

      Her three attackers were released after serving three years in prison.

      Unable to continue what she said was "half a life with half a face", Mukherjee begged the government to allow her to kill herself. Euthanasia is illegal in India.

      MEDIA STAR

      In the weeks that followed, Mukherjee's story made national headlines and there was an outpouring of public support for her. Local charities and private hospitals came forward offering to fund the surgery she needed.

      The turning point came this weekend, when she was invited to appear as a contestant on the Indian quiz show " Kaun Banega Crorepati" hosted by popular Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, also known as Big B. "I could never imagine that I would meet big people. Meeting Big B was the best thing. He is such a big star, but is so humble and down-to-earth," she said.

      Wearing sunglasses and with a red scarf wrapped round her head and partly covering her face, she was guided onto the stage by Bachchan and former Miss Universe Lara Dutta, and given a standing ovation by the audience.

      Confidently answering questions on everything from botany and cooking to political history, the young woman scooped 2.5 million rupees with her celebrity partner Dutta.

      Mukherjee plans to use her winnings to complete her surgery, but says this is not the end of her struggle. With her new-found celebrity status, she wants to speak out against acid violence, most common in countries such as Cambodia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan and India, where social structures remain deeply patriarchal.

      Around 1,500 acid attacks are reported globally each year, 80 percent of them on women, says the London-based charity Acid Survivors Trust International, though it also says this is a gross under-estimate as most victims are scared to speak out.

      "I appeal to the government to ensure that these cases are not repeated," said Mukherjee. "Make a separate law, which is not just on paper, but is followed," she said.

      --
      To read all the issues of paadam, Pl visit our web www.paadam.in &
       blog  www.paadam-pm.blogspot.com and leave your comments.

      Regards
      A.Narayanan (98403 93581)
      Editor
      Paadam, Monthly Magazine in Tamil for Development Politics
      2/628, Rapid Nagar,
      Gerugambakkam
      Chennai - 602 101.

    • rajagopalan ss
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
        Dear Thiru Narayanan,
        Vanakkam.
        Thanks for taking up the case of Vinodini.
        I am arranging for e-transfer of Rs 5000/- to the accounts of her fathaer, Thiru V.Jayabalan. Can you, if you have the phone number of the Account holder so that I could get confirmation of the credit.
        with regards,
        ssr

        To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com