Invitation for Third National Workshop of Muslim NGO's from 18-20 January 2013

  • Navaid Hamid
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
    MOVEMENT FOR EMPOWERMENT OF MUSLIM INDIANS (MOEMIN)

    Dear Friends

    NGO's has a major, crucial and vital role in the empowerment and development of a community and country at large. In this world of competitiveness, chanelisation of the state affirmative actions, monitoring of the disbursements of the welfare funds and constant interaction with the welfare agencies are the key factors on which every responsible community focuses its attention.

    MOEMIN is organising “Third National Workshop of Muslim NGO's” working in the field of Education; Social sector; Women empowerment & Child Welfare; Health and Economic Empowerment and rural development from 18-20th January 2013 at Abdur Rahman Auditorium, India Islamic Cultural Centre, Opposite Mausam Bhawan, Lodhi Road, New Delhi.

    Although the Muslim community, is economically, socially and educationally backward in comparison to the other communities of our country, it has fewer number of NGO's working for the empowerment and social upliftment of the community.  It is observed that most of the NGO's of the community, registered with the central & state governments, are un-organised and they either lacks infrastructures, proper guidance and have negligible information about the welfare schemes of the various government departments OR faces indifferent attitude of the bureaucracy in getting even a marginal share in the government welfare funds and in getting permission, affiliations and registrations of new institutes of learning.

    It is observed that the present UPA government has initiated a number of welfare schemes for the minorities and there is a substantial increase in the favorable disposal of the applicants and increase in the permissions to start new Professional Institutes and Centers of Higher Learning. However much needs to be done.

    The Community's initiative in proper petitioning for allocation of welfare funds to the community development projects, constant monitoring of the minority friendly welfare schemes & state affirmative actions and a continuous dialogue with the policy makers has great relevance & importance, in today's ambiance.

    Keeping the importance of the issue in mind raised above, MOEMIN has successfully organised two 'National Workshops of the Muslim NGO's'  working in the field of education, social welfare, women empowerment and health sectors from 22 – 24th December 2006 & from 4-6 January 2008 in New Delhi in which around 325 delegates representing 365 NGOs from 19 states and 300 delegates representing 275 Muslim NGO's  has participated. Number of Central Minister and from officials of various ministries and government welfare bodies has graced the different sessions of the Workshop to disseminate the    government policies and interact with the participating delegates in both the Workshops.

    To take stock of the welfare schemes of various government agencies - implementation and hardships in getting them; for better channelization and re-strengthening our vision for social commitments, we invites you to Third three-day 'National Workshop of the Muslim NGOs' working in the field of education, social welfare, women empowerment, rural development and health sectors from 18-20th January 2013 in New Delhi.

    We do hope that Unions Ministers of Human Resource Development, Minorities, Social Welfare, Urban Development & Health apart from officials of various ministries and government welfare bodies would grace the occasion in different sessions to disseminate the     government policies and interact with the participating delegates.

    We are also confident that representatives of around 300 NGO's from across the country working at ground level would participate in the Workshop to share their experiences and interaction for a future planning and to discover the means for fruitful co-operation with   the    various   Government Departments, Insha’Allah.

    The Workshop would also try to find means and ways to engage the corporate world in promoting the NGO's of the community.

    Beside Inaugural and Valedictory Sessions , we would be formatting different working sessions on following themes:

    I. Economic Equality: Policy priorities - Achievements and Challenges

    II. Access to Credit : Micro Financing;  Millennium Development Goals; Islamic Banking

    III. Education of Muslims : Governments initiatives - Problems and prospects

    IV. Health for All : Inclusion of Muslims

    V. Women Empowerment & Child Development.

    VI. Access to Information: RTI & other sources of Information

    VII. Corporate Social Responsibilities and expectations of Muslims

    VIII. Governance of NGOs

    In view of the importance & sensitivity of the issue, we request all concerned activists & representatives of Muslim NGOs to kindly participate in the 'Workshop of the Muslim NGO's'.

    We would be grateful if you kindly send your consent for your participation latest by 10th January 2013, along with the names of the participating delegates & their designation in the organisation.

    We would be further grateful if you send us a detail brochure containing the area of their organisation's activities; names of the institutions run by  organisation along with the strengths of the students in each institution; status of the participation in number of welfare schemes, if any, in last three years & information about the initiative your organization has taken in getting the Central or State Government welfare Schemes and the details of the difficulties you have faced in getting the schemes sanctioned to your organization. This would help us to prepare a detail report and action plan for remedies for presenting before the Workshop.

    To restrict the participation to the genuine NGO's, it has been decided to request a nominal delegate fee of Rs. 600/= per participant. Maximum of two delegates would be welcome from one organisation.

    The registration fees in form of a demand draft/pay order can be sent in the name of "Movement for Empowerment of Muslim Indians" OR "South Asian Council for Minorities".

    Please do send us the Registration Form attached with the mail at the earliest convenience, along with the registration fees.

    Navaid Hamid

    General Secretary

    Hand phone: +91 98116 43929

    A scan copy of the formal invitation and Registration form are also attached herewith.
  • Tejandra Pal Tyagi
    Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
      Dear Friend,
      Jai Hind,

      I am not a Muslim but I am an Indian. I represent Rashtriya Sainik Sanstha as its National President. This Sanstha has its small tentacles in 17 States of the Country. We are Nationalists in charcter. Can we attend the third national Conference organised by you. if OK with you, please confirm .

      Col Tejandra Pal Tyagi, Vir Chakra
      National President
      Rashtriya Sainik Sanstha

      On 5 December 2012 00:33, Navaid Hamid <navaidhamid@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Navaid Hamid included below]

[...]

    • Sarwat Ali
      Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
        Is the invitation open for individuals only or we have to be a member of the group.

        Sarwat Ali
        Jamia Millia Islamia

        --
        sarwat ali
        pocket A/3C sukhdev Vihar

        9810525317

      • Abhijit Sengupta
        Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
          I find that the word 'Muslim' appears is almost every sentence.
          Netaji treated all his comrades similarly ~ in front of him, his followers forgot their religious, linguistic, economic status and other differences.
          I can only support the proposed movement if same embraces all religionists, all castes in fact any Indian who is backward ~ their lot has to be improved. However, the movements like the one we are facing here ultimately degenerates into obtaining special privileges for the Muslims only, reservations and appointments and entitlements ~ we the followers of Netaji can't agree to such limitations ~ every underprivileged must be targetted without any discrimination.
          Regards
          abhijit Sengupta

          Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
            Sorry i meant is it open only to members of the group/ NGO's or  individuals can also be a participant.

            --
            sarwat ali
            pocket A/3C sukhdev Vihar

            9810525317

          • Sarwat Ali
            Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
              I endorse Abhijit Sengupta's views.
              More the Muslims isolate themselves, more marginalized they will become, Islam preaches selflessness and disregards selfishness.

              --
              sarwat ali

            • COVA network
              Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                We totally agree with Mr. Abhijit Sengupta ji's views and would be happy to be part of this movement.

                Mohammed Turab
                Executive Secretary, COVA
                09347418735

                On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Abhijit Sengupta <abhijit.1.sengupta@...> wrote:

[...]

                COVA (Confederation of Voluntary Associations) is a national network of voluntary organizations dedicated to the issues of social harmony, peace and justice.  The prime focus of COVA is on citizenship rights and on perspective building for harmony and peace in South Asia. Through direct programmes and by networking with other CSOs, COVA organises perspective building activities and programs, carries out campaigns, and conducts research for influencing diverse sections of civil society and the state apparatus to adopt inclusive, secular and egalitarian outlook and policies that would foster rights and secure justice and peace for all.
              • Human Welfare Voluntary Organisation
                Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Dear All,

                  We need to be inclusive and take into consideration all the deprived and vulnerable sections at the same time an exclusive initiative for muslims is very much needed as people are afraid of saying that we work for musims only since it often leads to problems from the state and mindset. their are thousands of orgs working only for dalits or other sections and no one raises questions about that.
                  We would surely like to participate from Kashmir
                  regards
                  Feroz
                  HWVOKASHMIR

                  On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM, COVA network <covanetwork@...> wrote:

[...]

                  Feroze Ahmed Wani
                  Social Activist/Practioner
                  President HWVO(Human Welfare Voluntary Organisation)
                  PROCLIVITY TO LEND A HAND
                  Honorary State Coordinator VAN Kashmir (J&K State)
                  Mob: +919419017680
                  email: ferozkashmir@...
                  Skype : ferozewani

                • Sarwat Ali
                  Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2012
                    Janab Feroze sb,

                    Is it legitimate to compare muslims with SC and ST. Muslims at one point of time have ruled this country, where as this oppurtunity was not available to the communities like SC and ST. There are states where they still are treated as untouchable. We should count our blessings that we as community are not among those.

                    Constitution of India enlists certain provisions for them but not for us and therefore the comparison does not seem valid.

                    However  being educationally backword, efforts for empowering Muslims  is certainly required, but our strength to me it seems does not come from insulating and isolating but to work with other communities and asking for their support.

                    best

                    sarwat

                  • naaz khair
                    Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2012
                      Dear Friends,

                      This is a tricky issue. Post Independence, the development for ALL strategy should have equally taken along with it Constitutional provisions meant for the development of religious and linguistic minorities, so that diversity instead of uniformity of approaches was followed, which is so critical for the development of diverse socio-cultural groups within the Country. Instead of this, every other day, one hears the call for amending Article 30, etc, provisions that are meant to uphold the rights of religious and linguistic minorities. Religious and linguistic minority development is a Constitutional agenda. Among religious minorities, Muslims are the most backward. In-fact, they are the most backward among all communities in the Country.

                      I see special inputs for the Muslims as important to help them to consolidate while participating in development efforts underway in the Country. Anyone interested in the development of the Muslim community could participate in the provision of special inputs.

                      Best regards,

                      Naaz

                    • Mohammad Akram
                      Message 11 of 11 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Navaid Hamid
                        General Secretary, MOEMIN

                        Dear sir
                        I want to attend the MOEMIN conference for understanding the deliberations and engagemnts the NGOs are involved in. Will you please allow me for that? Some of my reserach student are working in this particular area and may get benefitted by it. Please send me the detail programme of the conference. If possible for you, please send me an e mail invitation for that.
                        yours sincerely
                        Dr. Mohammad Akram
                        Associate Professor of Sociology
                        Department of Sociology