Re: [Arkitect India] Joint Movement of RTE Forum and AIPTF

  • Mohammad Akram
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
    Dear Ambarish and all
    This is to express my solidarity to the cause of promoting education at primary and higher levels. The RTE is definitely a big initiative. Your joint movement may help in making the dream of RTE successful.Don't you think, the design and module of the existing education system needs improvement and more pragmatic orientation? Don't you think some vocational content can make educaton more interesting and productive? I have made some of these arguments in my paper Formal Education, Skill Development and Vocationalisation: The Missing Link in India available online.
    I am giving the abstract here and attaching the paper with this mail. I hope, some of these arguments can really work well in promoting the cause of education and livelihood generation.
    best
    M Akram
    Associate Professor of Sociology
    Department of Sociology and Social Work
    AMU, Aligarh
    Abstract
    The contribution of education depends upon the values it teaches and skills impart. Education will become the foundation
    stone of a sustainable society only if it succeeds in imparting necessary life skills. Education without such enabling
    features can get reduced to a ritual. If skill development is defined as vocational education and is separated from formal
    education, the later is only a means of cultural transmission and often cultural reproduction. Formal education, as the
    harbinger of mass education, has definitely heralded social transformations through widening its accessibility and
    affordability contravening the limited reach of the medieval elitist education. The achieved status of being educated is
    largely appreciated as mobility enabler in traditionally stratified societies like India. But the enhanced social status, if not
    corresponded with upward economic mobility, has limited implications. Whether education, in its present ‘adopted form
    and content’ can achieve the benevolent instrumental goals in India, has been apprehended by many sociologists. This
    paper critically analyses the prevailing form of formal education in India and depicts its insufficiency in addressing the
    problems related to human resource development. It suggests that vocationalisation of formal education, as practiced in
    many western industrial societies, can ensure social and economic development for the masses.

    Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
      Dear Friends,

      Thanks for support.Teachers are more powerful and organized force in the education sector who can transform and save the school education from increasing commercialization keeping it under the state accountability available for AAM AADMI. They are powerful in fighting against any move towards sailing out our schools, PPP/ voucher system or any other options of privatization as well. We have to link ourselves with them with the larger agenda of education as a transformative tool and for revival of the dignity and respect of teaching profession.

      Despite all its limitations RTE, Act, generated tremendous hope and aspirations among people but unfortunately, till today, only 7% schools (according to Govt. records) are made RTE complaint. While only four months are left to meat out the deadlines of RTE, Act, the minimum commitment of state for accessibility of education and realization of  the constitutional obligations.

      Bhuvneshwar meeting is the beginning of our collective journey. We will come out with the concrete action plan form here to mobilize people across the country.

      thanks and regards,
      ambarish rai

      --
      Regards!
      Ambarish Rai

      Website,
      http://www.rteforumindia.org/

      Stay connected on Facebook,
      http://www.facebook.com/Right.to.Education.India

      Stay connected on Twitter,
      https://twitter.com/rteforumindia

    • ramesh patnaik
      Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
        Dear All
        Unfortunately many intellectuals and activist do not yet understand that RTE Act is not only no better than DPEP and SSA but also more derogative a policy.

        Please read below
        regards
        Ramesh Patnaik
        All India Forum for Right To Education

        Why Do We Oppose the

        Right to Education Act, 2009?

        I.                  Not just because -

        1.     It denies Right to early childhood care and pre-primary education to children below 6 years of age; and

        2.     It denies Right to secondary education to children in the 14-18 year age group.

        II.               But because -

        1.     It denies elementary education of equitable quality even to children in the 6-14 year age group;

        2.     It does not include even the required student support measures to ensure retention and regular participation of children in the 6-14 year age group; and

        3.     It neither develops government schools nor regulates private schools.

        III.           More so because -

        1.     It has provisions to allow private managements to hike fees as they like and to intensify the pace of commercialization;

        2.     It provides for siphoning off public funds to private operators through reimbursement;

        3.    It opens flood gates to thorough commercialization of school education under reimbursement scheme.

        4.     It not only institutionalizes the present multi-layered and unequal school system but also further widens inequalities and discrimination in all dimensions.

        5.     It ends up in closure of government schools and takes the school system precisely in opposite direction to the long-cherished Common School System.

        Chennai/ 30th June 2012

        All India Forum for Right to Education

        306, Pleasant Apartments, Bazarghat, Hyderabad 500 004, Andhra Pradesh

        Tel.: +9140-23305266; Mob.: 09440980396; Email: aifrte.secretariat@
        On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Mohammad Akram <akram_soc@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Mohammad Akram included below]

[...]

        Member, Secretariat,
        Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
        Dear Ambarish Roy and friends

        How is it possible that RTE Forum is opposed to PPP but is in support of RTE Act which includes PPP in form of Reimbursement to private agencies.

        How is it possible that RTE Forum likes to work for the strengthening of  public education system and at the same time is in support of RTE Act which is only a scheme for killing public education system gradually through sending government school children to private schools by paying their fee and closingdown thousands of schools year after year.

        The fee reimbursement provision is based on three misconceived notions, namely:
        1. All private schools are better than all government schools,
        2. Government schools can never become better schools and that shall be a policy decision
        3. Private agencies are sincere and truthful and will deliver equitable education to children join through reservation and reimbursement provisions.
        with regards
        Ramesh Patnaik,
        Organising Secretary,

        On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Ambarish Rai <amb1857@...> wrote:

[...]

      • rajagopalan ss
        Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
          Well said, Dr Patnaik. RTE shd have concentrated on Public Schools to enable them provide sound education to those denied education for generations.
          ssr

          To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
          From: drameshptk@...
          Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 23:31:37 +0530
          Subject: Re: [Arkitect India] Joint Movement of RTE Forum and AIPTF [1 Attachment]

          [Attachment(s) from ramesh patnaik included below]