Re: [Arkitect India] Press Release : We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual ‘Mumbai Ban dh’ in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray. This incident is no different from what fascist group did while attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is a symbol of defiance and an advocat e for the rights of the girls’.

  • Fr Bosco
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
      I condemn the arrests of the two girls who have the freedom of speech like any one in India.Bal Thakaray has become a symbol of exclusion and division and it is surprising that he is extolled as a national hero
      AXJ.Bosco

      On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM, LISSY JOSEPH <ndwmhyd@...> wrote:

      I Support the cause of the Girls who have been innocently arrested and
      the consequences after on their family and relatives. I wish many
      more speak out and stop such ation by governments and peoples. What is
      the wrong done by these girls? Dont they have freedom of expression/?
      They have not criticised any one after all
      Let our voices be heard on this
      Dr Lissy

      On 11/21/12, ROHIT PRAJAPATI & TRUPTI SHAH <rohit.prajapati@...> wrote:

      > PRESS RELEASE
      > DATE: 21-11-2012
      > We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual 'Mumbai
      > Bandh' in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray.
      >
      > This incident is no different from what fascist group did while
      > attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is
      > a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls'.
      >
      > We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these
      > girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of
      > Maharashtra's decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal
      > Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots
      > in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.
      >
      > We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual 'Mumbai
      > Bandh' in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray.
      > The action of Maharashtra police raises questions about the
      > credentials of the Maharashtra government. The entire incident
      > violates the spirit of Indian constitution in two chief ways.
      >
      > The Maharashtra police, who went to extra ordinary lengths to arrest
      > the two girls, have violated the right to freedom of expression,
      > which allows and ensures healthy debate, dissent and discussion. The
      > eventual ransacking of the clinic owned by one of girl's relatives,
      > the public apology of the two girls, as well as ``voluntarily''
      > closing down their facebook accounts following the police action
      > speak volumes about the environment of fear and coercion that now has
      > become acceptable in the country.
      >
      > In such a situation, we categorical condemn the decision of
      > Government of Maharashtra to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal
      > Thackeray indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots in Mumbai,
      > a state appointed Commission. The secular state has to abide by the
      > Constitution of India and according to us; the decision to accord
      > state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray is against the Constitution
      > of India. We also demand that Government of Maharashtra should reject
      > the demand of 'Shiv Sena to built Thackeray's memorial at Shivaji
      > Park in Mumbai.
      >
      > This incident is no different from what the fascist group did while
      > attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is
      > a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls'.
      >
      > We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these
      > girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of
      > Maharashtra's decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal
      > Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots
      > in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.
      >
      > Rohit Prajapati, Environmental Activist, Gujarat

> [...]

      Best Wishes
      NDWM - AP
      B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
      Secundrabad - 500 003.

      --
      Fr.AXJ.Bosco SJ, Director
      CITRA, Jesuit Social Centre

    • Xavier William
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2012
        How about the woman who died or was killed in Ireland because the Catholic church forbids abortions. How about the thousands who die from AIDS every year because the church forbids the use of condoms. How about the millions of babies who starve because the church forbids birth control. How about ..
        The act in Ireland is as criminal, as fascist, as draconian as the act of arresting the facebook girls.

        Best Wishes
        NDWM - AP
        B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
        Secundrabad - 500 003.

        --
        Fr.AXJ.Bosco SJ, Director
        CITRA, Jesuit Social Centre
        Secretary,SC,ST & BC Com.APBC
        Coordinator,UFDCR-United Front for Dalit Christian Rights
        Adviser,NCDC - National Council for Dalit Christians
        National Convener, Forum of Religious for Justice and Peace
        Res. & Off.:12-1-334/17/1, LALAPET
        SECUNDERABAD - 500017 A.P.INDIA
        Email ID: boscofr@...,
        Blog : boscofr.blogspot.com
        Mobile: 0091-9848408236   Ph.:0091-40-27000433

        Xavier William

        www.eitctours.com - tours to Kerala and Lakshadweep
        (God gave us reason; not religion - World Union of Deists)