RE: [Arkitect India] School Management Committee Convention in Uttar Pradesh

  • rajagopalan ss
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012
      You areabsolutely correct. In Tamilnadu the privatisation of school education is given greater importance. Though the norm for inspector-school ratio was 1:40, now more than 120 schools are placed under one inspector. He or she has just time to pass bills for payment of salary. The trouble with BRC/CRC is that most of them are raw with no classroom experience. Mere higher aademic qualification will not make them a good teacher of teachers. Standardised orientation programmes do not serve the problems faced by a teacher in the classroom. These programmes must follow a discussion model.
      Thank you for your interest.
      ssr

      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      From: anjela@...
      Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:15:30 +0530
      Subject: RE: [Arkitect India] School Management Committee Convention in Uttar Pradesh

      Dear Rajagopalanj ji,

      Completely agree with everything that you are saying. An additional rider is that it is also essential to look into some of the reasons why the "inspectorate" is not playing the role anticipated (the monitoring role)- and why the CRC/BRC (academic support) systems isn't really performing upto the benchmarks either. One reason is that the two roles often end up being clubbed whereas the roles are actually fundamentally different- a quasi audit role and an onsite support role may conflict with each other. The second is the staff shortages at the lower level (ie cluster) inspection/support staff- esp in the densely populated states/districts/urban metro areas. Even if the human resources are in place, there may not be a conducive environment for them to deliver. Last, but far from being the least, the issues of the education management system aren't really on the top of  anyone's radar.  Thus, we know that staff and other gaps in the audit/financial/management related systems causes delays in disbursement etc leading to underspending. No one REALLY looks into and advocates for more accountants, inspectors and CRCC staff and their training, support and working conditions or does a social audit of their performance.

      Anjela

      From:        rajagopalan ss <ssrajagopalan@...>
      To:        "arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com" <arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>,
      Date:        23-11-12 12:11 PM
      Sent by:        arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

        Tamilnadu Govt has also framed rules and guidelines for SMC's. In addition it has ordered the constitution of Annai Pallik kuzhu( Mothers School Council) with powers to inspect the infra-structure of schools as well as the attendance or non-attendance of teachers. It may be noted neither RTE Act nor the Rules have prescribed any duty to departmental officers. There is an Inspection Code in vogue from British days which requires the inspecting officer to conduct one full annual inspection and at least three surprise visits. During the Annual Inspection, the reading and manipulative skills of each and every student shd be tested individually. But these norms. though existent, are more violated than adhered to. I had been in the profession for forty years and I can squarely blame the inspectorate for their casualness in discharging their functions.
      ssr

      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      From: anjela@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:58:49 +0530
      Subject: [Arkitect India] School Management Committee Convention in Uttar Pradesh [9 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s)from Anjela Taneja included below] Dear Friends,

      Following up on Janaki's post on the SMC convention in Uttar Pradesh, some more details that you may find of interest. This convention was organized by UP SCORE (State Coalition for Right to Education), the RTE Forum's UP State chapter. Approximately 1600 participants including SMC members, CSO representatives, educationists, teachers' and education network representatives participated in the same from across 72 districts of the state.  A memorandum is to be submitted to the CM and Education Minister based on the demands of the convention. The report is being compiled, however, the coverage should give an idea of what happened during the same. A peoples' movement in support of education requires the support of citizens, parents and teachers in support of the nation's schools- this was one small step in that direction in one state. Many more are needed.

      Anjela Taneja

      Register Now | Trailwalker| Facebook| Twitter
      =

      Register Now | Trailwalker | Facebook | Twitter

    • niranjan Aradhya
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012

        Dear Anjela,

        Thanks for more information. It is important to organise such conventions more and more to advance the cause of equitable quality education to all children. In Karnataka, we are organising this conventions at the Taluk level (Education Blocks) involving SDMS members, SDMC Forum Members, Elected Gram Panchayat members and along with the teachers and officials of the department. The response is very positive. What is interesting in Karnataka is that both Teachers Union and the SDMC Coordination forum is jointly working together to strengthen public education by strengthening government schools. We need to broad base and strengthen this movement in the days to come.

        Niranjan

        V.P.Niranjanaradhya,  Ph.D
        Fellow and Programme Head for Universalisation of  Equitable Quality Education Programme
        Centre for Child and the Law
        National Law School of India University
        Nagarbhavi,Bangalore -560242
        Karnataka-India
        Telefax: +9180-23160528
        Mobile +919448986913

        To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012
          That's good, Niranjan. In Tamilnadu, there is no coordination etween teachers' unions and NGO's. Rather they are at loggerheads. My efforts to bring them together have not succeeded. I tell teachers that they can't avoid being commented upon and I tell NGO's that without taking teachers into confidence RTE will not succeed. Each one has ts own agenda. In a meeting with NGO groups, I just put a question: How many of them send their children to Govt school? How many of them send their children to Tamil Medium schools? None,was the response. The same was almost true in teachers' groups also where an insignificant number sent their children to Tamil Medium Govt schools. All of them had their education in Public Schools in Tamil Medium. I taught first generation learners in Tamil Medium District Board Schools and many of them are in coveted leaders in their chosen profession. Where and why have we failed to sustain the interest of parents in Public SChools?
          ssr

          To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com