Heads we win, tails you lose

  • Xavier William
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2012

      Jacob was a friend of mine. He was irreligious in the sense he did not believe in the church or the sacraments or in Jesus or in afterlife. But he believed in God the creator and was vehemently opposed to the theory of evolution.

      Last Sunday, Ravichandran, one of the most active rationalists in Kerala was conducting a discourse on evolution on the occasion of the book release of the Malayalam version of the "Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins.

      Jacob went to the lecture specifically for questioning evolution. After Ravichandran was done with his discourse Jacob got up and aired his doubts on evolution and just as Ravichandran started to answer him, Jacob collapsed and died on the way to the hospital.

      Now I have a cousin named John. He has only an education of +2 to his credit and is a devout catholic. He used to tell me about various cases of people falling ill or meeting with various misfortunes due to doubting the church or the saints. So to kid John I told him that Jacob had dropped dead because he doubted science and evolution.

      Smack came John's reply that Jacob's death had been brought about by the merciful God in order to save Jacob from the atheists and their evils.

      I was dumbfounded by John's logic and even more so by the speed with which he brought out his retort.

      So if an atheist dies it is god's ire; if a religious man dies it is god's mercy. Heads we win tails you lose.

      Xavier William

      www.eitctours.com - tours to Kerala and Lakshadweep
      (God gave us reason; not religion - World Union of Deists)