102 days for RTE implementation

  • janaki rajan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
      On 20th November, a rare meeting was held in Lucknow. Representatives from School Management Committees, SMC, from 72 districts of UP gathered to share their experiences in their new role under RTE.

      A small sample, limited entirely from my ability to note down:

      Hariya Block, Barua: The Adhyaksh of SMC: SMCs has been created, sarkar has not told us what our role is, what are our powers, and what we are to do. Our school has 270 children  and 2 teachers. The handpump, toilets are not workable. Our children study here, we are invested in the school. I have to say, that while I am not discouraged yet, but will need some fresh strength and energy. We are being told that we are not graduates, what do we know?

      Lachi, SMC Member: Our teacher comes from 10AM to 12 noon, because he lives in Bhopal.  How will our children learn? their lives are beign wasted. The teachers teach less and less, they dismiss our children like stray dogs. What can we do? How can our learn? TO read and write? This is not just my village-there are 20 villages, where teachers come from Bhopal, Habibganj which is 150 km away. The schools are 5-15 km away from the railway station.  And the teachers commute everyday, Between the time their train arrives and the train to go back, and the commute from railway station to school, they barely spend 2 hours in school. We are Sahariya people, we have no lands, we live in Lalitpur, we are labourers, out children will also becoem onyl labourers-there is no hope.

      Kapasigram, Lalitpur SMC represenative: Same story, if our children learn how can we progress, develop? Same story in Mata khede, Dhojri and nearly all villages in Pattari kshetra.

      SMC representative, Hamirpur: We made a road for our children to reach the school, there was no road- but there are 80 students and 1 teacher! Pradhan does not come to SMC meeting, we are not invited to the meeting, some signatures are made-hum mazdoor hai, hamare baccche bhi mazdoor hi rah jaayenge.

      SMC Representative [failed to note the location]: why, in our village, we have 1 teacher for 85 children, but I know a school where there are 20 children and 8 teachers!

      Rae Bareili, SMC representative: This is not an easy process. But we know what we want: Nirdan ho ya Dhanwan, Shiksha hogi EK samaan.

      Rae Bareilly, Javithri, SMC representative:  Teacher does not cone till 12:30, Kayanpuri our village is by the road. I asked the teacher, why are you so late? Our children roam around, and they can be in danger with the traffic when no one is there. He said, who are you to ask me this? I said, I am SMC! I took a lock and locked the school. The teacher apologised, and promised to come on time.

      And so many such voices!

      Tomorrow, the civil society voices

    • subhashini ali

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
          Dear Subhasini,
          It is wonderful to hear about Shiksha ka Adhikar Kriyanvan Samiti! Please post a report of what transpired in the 19th meeting as well as the GO-This will help galvanise other local, state governments. I am based in Delhi, and would be happy to be of any use to the samiti.
          Regards,
          Janaki

          On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 8:01 AM, subhashini ali <subhashiniali@...> wrote:

[...]

        • rajagopalan ss
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
            Merely targeting the teachers will not bring about the change needed. As the proverb goes, you can take the horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Does the teacher teach and is he or she child-friendly? Our prime target of attack shd be the Govt and the EDucational Officers whose primary duty is to ensure RTE is enforced in letter and spirit? What do they do against faltering teachers? It is their duty. SMC's should play a helpful role and be not a fault-finding body.
            ssr

            To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
              Most of the places SMC does not know about their role in school management. It seems like doll committee in the hands of Head Master. Training program for SMC is nothing but picnic of SSA officials.

              Thanks
              Pradipta
              BBSR

              To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com