RE: [Arkitect India] The India's Freedom movement and Palestene

  • rajagopalan ss
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
      Just as we have deviated from Gandhian philosophy, so also our approach to Israel has changed. Gandhiji has cogently argued that Palestine belonged to Arabs ans Jews had no right over it.
      ssr

      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      CC: admiralvb@...; mkbhadrakumar@...
      From: s.faizi111@...
      Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 06:54:37 +0530
      Subject: [Arkitect India] The India's Freedom movement and Palestene

      The Indian Constitution in Article 51A.b requires the entire citizenry to 'cherish and FOLLOW the noble ideals our national struggle for freedom'. And see below the position of the Freedom movement on Palestein (Mahatma Gandhi's article in Harijan of 26-11-1938). The govt's position equating a lethally terrorist nation's attacks on the innocent civilians with that of the desperate, unsuccesful attempts of the Palestenians to stay alive is an insult to truth. It is also an insult to truth to forget that Palestien has no army, airforce or navy. The response of the govt constitutes a violation of the said Article of the Constitution. Post-Independent India upheld the freedom movements of S Africa and Palestine...until the fall of the country as an American vassal State. There must be a movement to recapture the legacy of the freedom struggle.

      Faizi
      The Jews In Palestine

      By Mahatma Gandhi

      Published in the Harijan
      26-11-1938.

      Several letters have been received by me, asking me to declare my views
      about the Arab-Jew question in Palestine and the persecution of the Jews in
      Germany. It is not without hesitation that I venture to offer my views on
      this very difficult question.

      My sympathies are all with the Jews. I have known them intimately in South
      Africa. Some of them became lifelong companions. Through these friends I
      came to learn much of their age long persecution. They have been the
      untouchables of Christianity. The parallel between their treatment by
      Christians and the treatment of untouchables by Hindus is very close.

      Religious sanction has been invoked in both cases for the justification of
      the inhuman treatment meted out to them. Apart from the friendships,
      therefore, there is the more common universal reason for my sympathy for
      the Jews. But my sympathy does not blind me to the requirements of justice.

      The cry for the national home for the Jews does not make much appeal to me.
      The sanction for it is sought in the Bible and the tenacity with which the Jews
      have hankered after return to Palestine.

      Why should they not, like other peoples of the earth, make that country
      their home where they are born and where they earn their livelihood?
      Palestine belongs to the Arabs in the same sense that England belongs to the English or France to the French. It is wrong and inhuman to impose the Jews on the Arabs. What is going on in Palestine today cannot be justified by any moral code of conduct. The mandates have no sanction but that of the last war. Surely it would be a crime against humanity to reduce the proud Arabs so that Palestine can be restored to the Jews partly or wholly as their
      national home. The nobler course would be to insist on a just treatment of
      the Jews wherever they are born and bred. The Jews born in France are French in precisely the same sense that Christians born in France are French.

      If the Jews have no home but Palestine, will they relish the idea of being
      forced to leave the other parts of the world in which they are settled?
      Or do they want a double home where they can remain at will? This cry for the
      national home affords a colorable justification for the German expulsion of
      the Jews. But the German persecution of the Jews seems to have no parallel
      in history. The tyrants of old never went so mad as Hitler seems to have
      gone. And he is doing it with religious zeal. For, he is propounding a new
      religion of exclusive and militant nationalism in the name of which any
      inhumanity becomes an act of humanity to be rewarded here and hereafter.

      The crime of an obviously mad but intrepid youth is being visited upon his
      wholerace with unbelievable ferocity. If there ever could be a justifiable
      war in the name of and for humanity, a war against Germany to prevent the
      wanton persecution of a whole race, would be completely justified. But I do
      not believe in any war. A discussion of the pros and cons of such a war is,
      therefore, outside my horizon or province.

      But if there can be no war against Germany, even for such a crime as is
      being committed against the Jews, surely there can be no alliance with
      Germany. How can there be alliance between a nation, which claims to stand
      for justice and democracy and one, which is the declared enemy of both? Or
      is England drifting towards armed dictatorship and all it means?

      Germany is showing to the world how efficiently violence can be worked when
      it is not hampered by any hypocrisy or weakness masquerading as humanitarianism.It is also showing how hideous, terrible and terrifying it looks in its nakedness.Can the Jews resist this organized and shameless persecution? Is there a way to preserve their self-respect, and not to feel helpless, neglected and forlorn? I submit there is. No person who has faith in a living God need feel helpless or forlorn. Jehovah of the Jews is a God more personal than the God of the Christians, the Mussalmans or the Hindus, though as a matter of fact, in essence, He is common to all and one without a second and beyond description. But as the Jews attribute personality to God and believe that He rules every action of theirs, they ought not to feel helpless.

      If I were a Jew and were born in Germany and earned my livelihood there, I
      would claim Germany as my home even as the tallest gentile German might, and challenge him to shoot me or cast me in the dungeon; I would refuse to be expelled or to submit to discriminating treatment. And for doing this I
      should not wait for! the fellow Jews to join me in civil resistance, but
      would have confidence that in the end the rest were bound to follow my
      example.... ...

      And now a word to the Jews in Palestine. I have no doubt that they are going
      about it in the wrong way. The Palestine of the Biblical conception is not a
      geographical tract. It is in their hearts. But if they must look to the
      Palestine of geography as their national home, it is wrong to enter it under
      the shadow of the British gun. A religious act cannot be performed with the
      aid of the bayonet or the bomb. They can settle in Palestine only by the
      goodwill of the Arabs. They should seek to convert the Arab heart.

      The same God rules the Arab heart who rules the Jewish heart... They will
      find the world opinion in their favor in their religious aspiration. There are
      hundreds of ways of reasoning with the Arabs, if they will only discard the
      help of the British bayonet. As it is, they are co-sharers with the
      British in despoiling a people who have done no wrong to them. I am not
      defending the Arab excesses. I wish they had chosen the way of non-violence
      in resisting what they rightly regarded as an unwarrantable encroachment
      upon their country. But according to the accepted canons of right and wrong,
      nothing can be said against the Arab resistance in the face of
      overwhelming odds.

      Let the Jews who claim to be the chosen race prove their title by choosing
      the way of non-violence for vindicating their position on earth. Every
      country is their home, including Palestine, not by aggression but by loving
      service. A Jewish friend has sent me a book called The Jewish Contribution
      to Civilization by Cecil Roth. It gives a record of what the Jews have done
      to enrich the world's literature, art, music, drama, science, medicine,
      agriculture, etc. Given the will, the Jew can refuse to be treated as the
      outcast of the West, to be despised or patronized. He can command the
      attention and respect of the world by being the chosen creation of God,
      instead of sinking to the brute who is forsaken by God. They can add to
      their many contributions the surpassing contribution of non-violent action.

      http://www.countercurrents.org/pa-gandhi170903.htm