Press Release : We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual ‘Mumbai Bandh’ in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray. This incident is no different from what fascist group did while attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls’.

  • ROHIT PRAJAPATI & TRUPTI SHAH
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
      PRESS RELEASE
      DATE: 21-11-2012
      We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual �Mumbai Bandh� in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray.

      This incident is no different from what fascist group did while attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls�.

      We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of Maharashtra�s decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.

      We condemn the arrest of two girls who criticized the virtual �Mumbai Bandh� in their Facebook posts following the demise of Mr Bal Thackeray.
      The action of Maharashtra police raises questions about the credentials of the Maharashtra government. The entire incident violates the spirit of Indian constitution in two chief ways.

      The Maharashtra police, who went to extra ordinary lengths to arrest the two girls, have violated the right to freedom of expression, which allows and ensures healthy debate, dissent and discussion. The eventual ransacking of the clinic owned by one of girl�s relatives, the public apology of the two girls, as well as ``voluntarily�� closing down their facebook accounts following the police action speak volumes about the environment of fear and coercion that now has become acceptable in the country.

      In such a situation, we categorical condemn the decision of Government of Maharashtra to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots in Mumbai, a state appointed Commission. The secular state has to abide by the Constitution of India and according to us; the decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray is against the Constitution of India. We also demand that Government of Maharashtra should reject the demand of �Shiv Sena to built Thackeray�s memorial at Shivaji Park in Mumbai.

      This incident is no different from what the fascist group  did while attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls�.

      We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of Maharashtra�s decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.

      Rohit Prajapati, Environmental Activist, Gujarat

      Trupti Shah, Social Activist, Gujarat

               Rohit P rajapati & T rupti S hah
               37, Patrakar Colony, Tandalja Road,
               Post-Akota, Vadodara - 390 020
               GUJARAT, INDIA
               Phone No.
      + 91 - 265 - 2320399
               Email No: rohit.prajapati@...

    • LISSY JOSEPH
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
        I Support the cause of the Girls who have been innocently arrested and
        the consequences after on their family and relatives. I wish many
        more speak out and stop such ation by governments and peoples. What is
        the wrong done by these girls? Dont they have freedom of expression/?
        They have not criticised any one after all
        Let our voices be heard on this
        Dr Lissy

        On 11/21/12, ROHIT PRAJAPATI & TRUPTI SHAH <rohit.prajapati@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Constitution of India and according to us; the decision to accord
        > state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray is against the Constitution
        > of India. We also demand that Government of Maharashtra should reject
        > the demand of 'Shiv Sena to built Thackeray's memorial at Shivaji
        > Park in Mumbai.
        >
        > This incident is no different from what the fascist group did while
        > attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is
        > a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls'.
        >
        > We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these
        > girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of
        > Maharashtra's decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal
        > Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots
        > in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.
        >
        > Rohit Prajapati, Environmental Activist, Gujarat

        Best Wishes
        NDWM - AP
        B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
        Secundrabad - 500 003.
      • Dr Walter Fernandes
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2012
          I join all those who support the right of those girls to hold their opinion. Freedom of expression is a fundamental right and a human right.

          Walter

          Dr Walter Fernandes
          North Eastern Social Research Centre
          110 Kharghuli Road (1st floor)
          Guwahati 781-004
          Assam, India
          Tel. (+91-361) 2602819
          Fax: (+91-361) 2602713 (Attn. NESRC)
          Email: nesrcghy@...
> [...]

          > Constitution of India and according to us; the decision to accord
          > state funeral to Late Mr. Bal Thackeray is against the Constitution
          > of India. We also demand that Government of Maharashtra should reject
          > the demand of 'Shiv Sena to built Thackeray's memorial at Shivaji
          > Park in Mumbai.
          >
          > This incident is no different from what the fascist group did while
          > attacking Ms. Malala Yousafzai, 14 year old girl of Pakistan, who is
          > a symbol of defiance and an advocate for the rights of the girls'.
          >
          > We appeal to all progressive people and organisation to support these
          > girls, oppose their arrest and condemn the Government of
          > Maharashtra's decision to accord state funeral to Late Mr. Bal
          > Thackeray, a person indicted by Srikrishna Commission for 1992 riots
          > in Mumbai, and a state appointed Commission.
          >
          > Rohit Prajapati, Environmental Activist, Gujarat

          Best Wishes
          NDWM - AP
          B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
          Secundrabad - 500 003.

        • Fr Bosco
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2012
            I condemn the arrests of the two girls who have the freedom of speech like any one in India.Bal Thakaray has become a symbol of exclusion and division and it is surprising that he is extolled as a national hero
            AXJ.Bosco

            Best Wishes
            NDWM - AP
            B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
            Secundrabad - 500 003.

            --
            Fr.AXJ.Bosco SJ, Director
            CITRA, Jesuit Social Centre

          • Xavier William
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2012
              How about the woman who died or was killed in Ireland because the Catholic church forbids abortions. How about the thousands who die from AIDS every year because the church forbids the use of condoms. How about the millions of babies who starve because the church forbids birth control. How about ..
              The act in Ireland is as criminal, as fascist, as draconian as the act of arresting the facebook girls.

              Best Wishes
              NDWM - AP
              B-5 Paigah Apts, S.P. Road,
              Secundrabad - 500 003.

              --
              Fr.AXJ.Bosco SJ, Director
              CITRA, Jesuit Social Centre
              Secretary,SC,ST & BC Com.APBC
              Coordinator,UFDCR-United Front for Dalit Christian Rights
              Adviser,NCDC - National Council for Dalit Christians
              National Convener, Forum of Religious for Justice and Peace
              Res. & Off.:12-1-334/17/1, LALAPET
              SECUNDERABAD - 500017 A.P.INDIA
              Email ID: boscofr@...,
              Blog : boscofr.blogspot.com
              Mobile: 0091-9848408236   Ph.:0091-40-27000433

              Xavier William

              www.eitctours.com - tours to Kerala and Lakshadweep
              (God gave us reason; not religion - World Union of Deists)