Re: [Arkitect India] RE: [muslimindians] Oh India! W hy I can’t pay tribute to Thackeray

  • Dr Hiren Gohain
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012
      Bal Thackeray's rise accompanied and followed the steep decline
      in the influence of the secular and non-sectarian Left
      movement.Indeed there had been at that time serious thuggish attacks
      on Left union leaders and various trade union activities,and those
      attacks were sposored by powerful capitalists and encouraged by the
      Congress,which did little to protect Left leaders and workers.The
      vacuum had been quickly and efficiently filled by the Sena.Thackeray
      then ivented a role for himself as a Godfather,generous to those who
      submit and implacable to those who oppose him.The ideology expanded
      from Marathi ethnic interest to militant Hinduism.The conjuncture of
      such circumstances and the money that came from protection rackets
      explain his growing influence.There is no mystery here.But he
      seems to have had a flair for organisation.