Re: 5 key issues in the next ten years

  • Varun Arya
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2006
      Dear Mr. Jha

      Appreciate your mail and the efforts you have put in outlining 5 key issues of the next 10 years. However, I beg to differ with you. In my personal opinion these five issues are basically the facade of the problem, that is, what is visible from outside. The real problem, or the root, is actually education. Let me just clarify that I am not talking of "literacy" but I am basically referring to education for empowerment. This is my conclusion based on my recently touring extensively the villages of Rajasthan, Bundelkhand region and Maharashtra.

      My further inputs relating to the issues outlined are stated in red alongwith the respective issues in your enclosed mail.

      In my opinion, the water problem solution model of Magsaysay awardee Mr. Rajendra Singh can be replicated very successfully in the field of education for empowerment. I have recently travelled extensively with Mr. Singh to see the work he has done in the villages of Rajasthan and had a series of discussions with him, his associates and the villagers. Based on these, we are forming a trust to work in the area of education for empowerment in the villages of Rajasthan, to begin with, and then in the other states of India as well. Those interested in this may please write to me personally on my e-mail ID and not to the group ID.

      Thanks and best regards

      Varun Arya
      IITD 1981 & IIMA 1983
      http://www.aravali.org
      =
      At 14:23 07/02/2006, Satish Jha wrote:
      I greatly appreciate the observations of all those who responded to my request. Including several friends whom I requested outside of this discussion forum I have had over a hundred responses and going by the sheer weight of how many preferred what I would consider the following a reasonable priority list. It will be very helpful to have your views again on the matter.

      Thanks

      Poverty: It is now being increasingly appreciated that the poor are a huge untapped opportunity for businesses. Governments have tried with little success. Transforming the existing business models to address the needs of the poor creates a new market that triggers its own growth impulses. It helps expand the pie while making more available to the poor, creating more capabilities and reducing poverty. The model can be extended to eradicate worst forms of poverty in a manageable span of time.
      Poverty exists because these people are not aware of the opportunities which are available, the facilitation mechanisms which exist and the motivation to work to achieve the same. I sincerely and firmly believe that every individual, irrespective of the caste, colour , religion and resources, has the merit. It is just that some are able to have the knowledge of the opportunities, facilitation mechanisms and motivation to effective use the merit to get out of the poverty. I myself was born and brought up in a family which at times did not have even one meal a day during my childhood. Education helped me to empower myself and my family to come out of the poverty.

      Energy and Environment: Energy situation is threatening to impact both progress and geo-political balance. It needs fresh perspectives where leadership from India can bring in a new holistic approach to marrying energy needs with environmental concerns.
      The people need to be educated about the dangers to them, their children and the posterity if the energy is not conserved and environment is not protected.

      Healthcare: Given the current state of understanding of common diseases its possible to get rid of the most widespread diseases that cause avoidable suffering for a large number of people in developing countries. We need to create healthcare models that can bring down the cost of disease management and within the reach of the poorest. An Indian leadership in this area can bring the possibility of making a difference of an order of magnitude.
      Again the people need to be educated as to how by simple precautions and measures, health can be managed and the problems can be avoided.

      Learning : Even the poor recognize education and learning the most significant way out of the cycle of poverty. It is inability to access education that has kept most of them from getting out of it. New technologies make it possible for everyone to become literate and acquire skills appropriate to make them productive members of society.
      The people need to be educated on how to access the best education.

      Water: Four billion people in the world do not have access to potable water benchmarked to what is available through the public system in the urban world. A project based approach can bring them closer to having clean water that can hugely impact the healthcare costs and disease management as well.
      All the government schemes are based on extraction (or exploitation) of water. Rather than this, the people need to be educated on recharging of the water, while using the water resources. You can withdraw from the bank only if you also deposit in the bank. "First deposit and then withdraw" should be the motto of water education.

      Disaster Relief: Recent disasters from Tsunami to earthquakes to hurricane have tested our capacity to quickly offer relief and contain suffering. Disasters are no longer local and need global response to mitigate their worst consequences.
      Disasters are generally the result of people playing havoc with the nature. People need to be educated on how to respect and conserve the nature and be with the nature.

      Digital Divide: Digital technologies offer us opportunities that never existed in ramping up our efforts to make the world literate, universal access to acquiring appropriate skills at costs that extend the frontiers of those who can access them. Its flip side creates a divide larger than any that we have seen and managing it well can help us achieve what seemed unthinkable just a few years ago. It can collapse time to having universal literacy and learning or it can make the divide between those hope and those who have ever wider.

      Digital divide can also be taken care of by education.

    • cyda
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007

        2nd International Stepping Stones Training of Trainers programme in Katmandu, Nepal, 13-22nd November 2007.

        We warmly invite participants for the 2nd International Stepping Stones training of trainers organized by CYDA and the first being in Mumbai, November 2006 in which 32 participants from 12 countries got trained.  So far CYDA trained around 240 people from different walks of lives; including HIV/AIDS activists, Doctors, Coordinators of State AIDS Control Societies, trainers from International and and national, state level NGOs from world over. Since 2004 CYDA has organized 8 training of trainers programmes in Local Languages like Marathi, Hindi and in English in India before initiating training at international level. Stepping Stones is a module developed by Strategies of Hope, a UK based organisation, Written by Dr. Alice Welbourne with support and input from Action Aid International.  Today it is being used by many organisations in African and Asian Pacific regions.

        Stepping Stones aims to equip the participants with communication skills, relationship skills, HIV/ AIDS, Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Health Rights. It has been specifically adapted for social and cultural activists and gives practical hands on experience as one has to undergo the workshop as a participant, which helps to gain an insight of this process and its applications in different social and cultural contexts.

        This workshop would be highly interactive, with intense focus on each participant. It is for this reason that we would like to restrict the number of participants to around 30 i.e. 2 (one Male and one Female) participants from each organisations taking into account future training options in their respective organisations. So far organizations from different parts of the world have participated in the workshop and many of them have incorporated ‘Stepping Stones’ into their mainstay work.

        Working with communities requires constant innovation and an abiding commitment towards democratic processes. The goal is to facilitate information exchange in a participatory manner, which would ultimately empower the people one chooses to work with. The methodology adopted ought to be adaptable and interactive and should incorporate creative elements within it.

        Stepping Stones provides an opportunity to look into the very core and essence of individual, social/community issue and at the same time also provides a platform to voice their opinion. Further it helps to arrive at multiple solutions borne out of varying perspectives for the issue at hand. The Stepping Stones methodology can be used with any age and gender group.

        Stepping Stones is a methodology, which originally was developed to address the core issue of HIV/AIDS in Buwenda village, Uganda  (Africa). But later in the course of its work module evolved addressing many more issues e.g. communication skills, relationship skills, Sexuality etc.  It is a
        participatory, adult learning programme rather than lectures. It is full of
        group activities rather than seminars. Stepping Stones believes in
        fission-fusion methodology, where women & men discuss separately and then
        learn from each other through fusion. (For information refer to
        www.steppingstonesfeedback.org )

        Objectives:

        Building capacities of the participants through participatory training on Gender, HIV /AIDS, Sexuality, Reproductive Health Rights.

        Provide training and capacity building of the key people who are influencing masses on the issues of Gender, Reproductive Health, Sexuality and rights of the young people.

        Participant’s Profile:

        q       Individuals/ organisational representatives who are training Peer Educators and community leaders can benefit immensely.

        q       Two participants (one male and female) from each organisation will be preferable, as it will help in the organisational processes after the training.

        q       Individuals with some background of group work would benefit immensely from the workshop but this is not absolutely necessary.

        q       Organisations who want develop skills among their trainers on Gender, Sexuality and HIV/AIDS related issues.

        q       Those who want develop tools for community mobilization.

         The Stepping Stones is a training module originated in Buwenda village, Uganda  (Africa) and was initiated jointly by Strategic for Hope, UK and Actionaid International as an effective tool in enabling communities to address their own issues and actively seek solutions, with a special focus on HIV/AIDS, Sexuality and Reproductive Health. Over the years it has been widely used by various grass root organizations around the world.

        CYDA in association with Today’s Youth Asia, Kathmandu is happy to announce its 2nd International Stepping Stones training program with a special focus on participants from South Asian region. The  ‘Stepping Stones’ TOT (Training of Master Trainers) residential workshop will be held between 13th to 22nd Nov 2007 in Kathmandu, Nepal and would like to invite participants for the same.

        Venue:  Hotel Country Villa - a beautiful paradise on earth is your ideal address in Nagarkot. It boasts of wonderful scenic canvas of Himalayas stretching from Mt. Kanchanjunga in the Far East to the Annapurna massif in the far west. For details.  www.hotelcountryvilla.com

        Dates for the workshop: 13th to 22nd November 2007 (inclusive of both days)

        Number of participants: 30-36

        Language: English

        Facilitators:

        Mrs. Leena Joshi, Apanalya, Mumbai

        Dr. Susham Bhusal, Nepal Red Cross

        Mr. Mathew Mattam, CYDA, Pune

        And other renowned resource person will join the facilitation.

        Participation fees:  Each participant will be charged $400. Fee is inclusive of boarding/lodging, (from 12th Nov evening till 23rd Nov. morning) resource & training material and facilitation costs)

        P.S. The registration will be closed once we receive 30-36 participants.  Please register your name/names of participants to reserve your seats. We encourage that 4 persons(two males and two females)  per organisation get trained for future training  in your organizational set ups)

        Indian Contact

        Mathew Mattam

        Centre For Youth Development And Activities

        4, Vasanttara, Near Hotel, Surya, Off. Ghole Road,

        Deccan, Pune- 411004. Maharashtra, INDIA Tele: 020-25533168

        Email: cyda@...  or cydaindia@...

        Website: www.cydaindia.org

        Nepal Contact

        Santosh Shah
        Today's Youth Asia
        C/o Everest Bookshop,
        Baber Mahal Revisited,
        Maitighar, Kathmandu.
        email: publishertya@...
        Office Phone: +9771-4220459.
        Mobiles: +977-9851091562.

        Be the change what you want to see in the world.
                                              Mahatma Gandhi
        CYDA
        #4, Vasanttara
        Above Udhyam Vikas Sahkari Bank