Re: [Arkitect India] CABE on the extension of deadline under RtE

  • teestateesta@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2012
      Lights are for Hope
      Hope for Peace and better tomorrows
      Dipawali Mubarak
      Teesta
      Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

      From: Nitin Wadhwani <nitin_29w@...>
      Sender: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:26:13 +0530
      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com<arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: <arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com><arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>; <rteforum@...><rteforum@...>; <state_bgvs@yahoogroups.com><state_bgvs@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Arkitect India] CABE on the extension of deadline under RtE

      Hello,
      Undoubtedly the focus must be on improving quality of education as well as infrastructure in government schools.
      However, the situation in BMC schools is as follows:-
      1. There are more than 11,000 well paid teachers employed by the primary education department, which more or less meets the teacher student ratio for approx. 3,50,000 children enrolled in these schools. However there is an imbalance, I.e excess teachers in Marathi Medium, but inadequate numbers in other medium like Urdu, Hindi, English etc.
      2. Insufficient administrative staff in municipal schools resulting in teachers getting involved in other matters, except teaching.
      3. Due to the imbalance and shortage,  many municipal schools have common teachers for class I to class IV, and all children put together in same classroom and taught at the same time.
      4. Use of mobile phones by teachers in classrooms is another problem.
      5. Lack of teachers Attendance Monitoring systems in these schools.
      6. PTA meetings not happening in these schools, now replaced by SMC, but who is responsible for ensuring these meetings happen?

      A group of like minded child rights activists in Mumbai have been observing all these issues in BMC schools and have been meeting the hierarchy of the education department as well as the local corporators,(who have very conveniently allowed things to deteriorate) to make a difference, but the results are painfully slow.
      Various public private partnerships like School Adoption Programme, School Support Programmes, School Excellence Programmes, etc. have also not given the desired results as far as improvement in quality is concerned, however it has helped in a lot of private players usurping BMC school spaces and exploiting them commercially.
      New public private proposals are being looked into, but unless there is an accountability system, it will be a miracle if there is any change for the better.

      Regards

      Nitin Wadhwani

      Sent from my iPad

      On 12-Nov-2012, at 11:12 AM, Prabha Hariharan <prabha_h@...> wrote:

      I totally agree that the most important need of today is to improve the quality of educational experiences and learning outcomes of our students - all of them - irrespective of social class, ability group, caste, gender, etc. This is especially important for our millions of students attending government schools, who are typically marginalized for one or another reason. It is time our country and its political leaders take this up as an important issue and address the same.

      I am interested to co-sign the petition appealing for concern for 'quality of education and children's learning.

      Thanks,
      Prabha

      Dr. Prabha Hariharan
      Educational Researcher
      Coimbatore-641046, Tamil Nadu
      India
      Phone: +91-9600391117

      Educational Research is the Backbone of Effective Educational Reforms

      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com; rteforum@...; state_bgvs@yahoogroups.com
      From: pjain2002@...
      Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:20:25 -0800

      Dear All,

      I would suggest that it is high time that the attention of education activists shifts from the provision of school infrastructure and increasing budgetary support' to the 'assurance of quality of education' in already existing schools, particularly in the light of following facts.

      1. The quality of education provided in most existing schools is dismal, as shown by repeated ASER surveys, recent PISA tests, and NCERTs studies.
      2. The RTE conferred right to a child to secure admission is a recognized school was available to more than 95% children even before RTE was promulgated.
      3. Available research does not show that meeting RTE conditions on infrastructure assures improvements in education quality.
      4. India now spends more than world average of financial resources-GDP on elementary education, up to grade 8, so the focus must shift to better utilization of funds spent than increasing the funding alone.

      Would someone influential take lead in drawing attention of MHRD, the Minister and CABE, and would the forum members be willing to co-sign a petition to the Honorable Minister-MHRD and CABE appealing for a concern for 'quality of education and children's learning'?

      Pankaj Jain

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
        Thanks Teesta. Who better than you knows this Nation State from which you can find and light the diya of hope, of dignity, respect, equality, equal, hope for fear-free and respectful participation?  If YOU can hope for better tomorrows, I can hope so too! Dipawali Mubarak aap ko bhi!
        I have always wondered, when people speak in inspiring terms it is always the 'country/desh'. When it is war or security, it is always the 'nation/raashtr'.

        Age old splitting of human as persons  for hegemony!

        I would like for us this the year of 2012 Deepawali of the Hindu Calendar which exists now because the 'country' still lives (as it also lives for the Paarsi Calendar, the Islamic Calendar, the Sikh Calendar and many more at different dates and seasons), I would like for commitment to bhaichaara among the men  following the many caendars living in this geo-cultural region.