Re: [Arkitect India] A boy speaks on charge of Orissa Government.

  • Daniel Mazgaonkar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
      Yes, friends, I heard the full video on youtube. It is really very poignant.

      The small boy speaks with so much conviction and touches most of the important points/issues in the battle against POSCO.

      Can the deaf ears be opened of the Navin Pattanayak's government ?

      Daniel.

      On 6 July 2011 08:53, Sadanand Patwardhan <2Sadanand@...> wrote:

      Dear All,

      I wrote a piece on Orissa government’s infamous statement calling *use of children* in Anti-Posco agitation illegal.

      Today, a friend & journalist with New Indian Express, Javed, sent a link to a small video clip. A 13 year old boy, Jagan, from Gobindpur talks on his and his colleagues’ participation in the agitation. It is so eloquent that everyone must see it. He speaks so easily about issues which adults would find difficult to grapple with. His political consciousness gives great hope.

      Dear Javed,

      Thanks for the link. Sorry, I spoke to some activists from Pune, but they couldn’t come up with any suggestions for your photo-journalist friend. Closest to Pune they said would be Jaitapur, which you have already thought of. I can think of Dow Chemical research center very near Pune, but that issue is dormant for now, though not dead.

      Regarding Nuclear power, you may find my this “http://satark.blogspot.com/2011/07/aerb-no-mera-joota-nahee-hai-japanee.html” of interest.

      Sadanand

      --

      A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history. ---Mahatma Gandhi

    • Havovi Wadia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
        Dear Sadanand,

        Thank you for sharing this.

        Every time there are issues regarding the participation of children in public life, arguments fall back on the discourse of protection. As a result we deny the following:

        a. The notion that children have minds that reason, ears that hear, eyes that see and voices that count.
        b. The fact that children are not 'separate' from adults - that 'childhood' is not a world that is distinct from that which adults occupy.
        c. That adults and children all are influenced by several things - the media, each other, charismatic leaders, emotional songs of freedom and promises of a better tomorrow. These are things we all respond to - irrespective of whether we are adults or children.

        If we can begin to interrogate some of the primary ways in which we think about children and childhood, we will realise how much power we invest in the world of adults and how much we deny - consciously and unconsciously - to those whom we call children.

        Regards
        Havovi

        On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Sadanand Patwardhan <2Sadanand@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Enakshi Ganguly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
            unable to access this...

          On 7/7/2011 10:40 AM, Havovi Wadia wrote:

[...]

          Co-Director

          HAQ Centre for Child Rights
          B-1/2, Ground Floor
          Malviya Nagar, New Delhi 110017
          Office: +91.1126673599
          http://www.haqcrc.org/

        • Arun Shrivastava
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2011
            When we are up against brain dead politicians, with eyes and ears closed and a tongue that is only used to lash out against genuine demands of the people, No Sir.

            Pappu Pattanaik remains the playboy he was, except that now he wears dhoti and kurta and has removed his ear-rings, instead of skin tight jeans [original Levi Strauss], the most prized possession in the 50s and the 60s.

            What we need is a full scale New Left, pro-people, nationalist, onslaught on the Manmohan's neo-liberal agenda. If that happens, just watch how many billionaires and politicians flee the country. We must define the New Left ideology. It can't be democratic centralism, it can't be based on classical Marxism. Unfortunately we tend to associate Leftism with Marxism. The biggest mistake our Left did. That is why despite such degrading poverty, the people never supported it at national level.

            And we need a political economy that can showcase a powerful counter to the neo-liberal agenda of resource plunder, use of security forces to crush people's opposition, factoring-in the value ecosystem goods and services in GDP, resources which no bloody corporation created, yet they monopolise in the name of free trade.

            Mark my words: Manmohan and Montek will go down as two most despicable people in the history of India. And the 20 year period-1991-2011-as the most ignominious in India's history.....when I compare the machinations of the East India company and the machinations of these two, we are back in 1780's Bengal.

            Kind regards
            Arun Shrivastava