Re: [Arkitect India] PUCL protest on police action against Baba Ramdev

  • Jaiprabha
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 5, 2011
      It is good that the government is being condemned for taking coercive action against Sri Ramdeo Yadav alias Baba Ramdeo. Such govt behaviour is unacceptable in a functioning democracy.
      Let us all equally condemn Sri Ramdeo Yadav as well for trying to coercively (through a fast unto death) implement an arachaic agenda which includes things like teaching of Medical & Engineering courses in Hindi, doing away with currency notes of larger denominations which would cause immense inconevenience to the common man, for promoting inhuman punishments like hanging to death for economic offences, use of swadeshi and boycott of foreign goods in the context of today's world economy and similar issues. This semi educated baba is a danger for the Indian society and economy. He should not be allowed to be let loose upon the people of India if we are to survive as a democracy. Once given a free hand, people like him with a Talibani attitude and mindset will try to impose himself on all democratic institutions and create an extra constititional authority.
      Deepak Saha
      On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM, N. Pancholi <azadpancholi@...> wrote:

      People’s Union for Civil Liberties: Delhi
      F-24/72, Ground Floor, Sector-3, Rohini, Delhi 110085.
      E-Mail: <pucldelhi@...>
      President Vice-Presidents General
      Secretary Secretaries Treasurer
      N.D.
      Pancholi Fr. T.K. John Shivakant Gorakhpuri
      Suraj Dev Vasant Jaipal Nehra
      9811099532
      Satyendra Ranjan 9868505324 Dharam Vir,
      Alka (Ms.) 9990320640

      Dt.5th June, 2011

      PUCL CONDEMNS POLICE ACTION AGAINST
      BABA RAMDEV

      PUCL, Delhi, strongly condemns the midnight police action
      against peaceful protest of Swami Ram Dev and his supporters at Ramlila ground
      tonight.
      It is strange that on the one hand the government was having negotiations with
      the Swami and on the other hand police terror was let loose during midnight on
      him and his supporters most of whom were sleeping. The excuse given by the
      government, that permission was not taken by Swami ji for Satyagrah and fast,
      is a lame excuse because there is no valid law which requires any person to
      seek permission from the authorities for peaceful protest. Freedom of
      expression in peaceful manner is a constitutional right of the citizens of India
      and this right is not dependent on the mercy of any government. The police
      action against Baba Ramdev and his followers is not only unconstitutional but
      inhuman and barbaric and should have no place in a democratic system and
      civilized society.

      Though we do not share the political, social and economic
      vision of Swami Ram Dev and consider various pronouncements made by him and
      methods used in carrying out his movement as highly objectionable and
      ill-advised, yet we feel that government’s blatant action in dealing with his
      protest is excessive, atrocious and unjustified.

      N.D.Pancholi

      President

      PUCL, Delhi unit.

    • V.K.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
        Dear Sir,

        It is very convenient to slam the police action in evicting Ramdevji &company  from the Ramlila Ground .  Do you think the police has to play their role only  after some untoward incident has taken place  like that usually we all find in bollywood movies?  Do you think that the police has a magic wand ?  No.  They are also human beings and work under a system of surveillance and intelligence inputs.  As per such inputs they got they have only taken a precautionary and preventive action, which would have otherwise spoilt the whole situation and  in whcih case you would have blamed  the poor policemen more severely.  Ramdevji's initial plan was to have a yoga session, in which I  also participated.  But, as he progressed right from the word go in a political mood, I smelt that something would go wrong and immediately I left and the rest is before you. I am sure that  none of his followers, would have ever  thought that their Guruji would ditch them like this  for his narrow political gain.

        (V.K. Velukutty)

      • Khalid Azam
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011

          Dear Mr. Pancholi

          While it is understandable that PUCL must fight for the civil rights of one and all, I am rather disappointed to see the praise and respect that PUCL is trying to accord to "Swami ji" Ramdev. This is despite the fact that Ramdev has openly aligned himself with communal and decisive elements like Sadhvi Ritambhara who have the blood of thousands on their hands.

          What is PUCL's position on Ramdev's open embrace and association with militant figures from the Hindutva brigade?

          For your perusal, I am including below a report of Ramdev's defense of Sadhi Ritambhara:

          Sadhvi Ritambhara an old friend: Ramdev

          New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Defending the presence of right-wing Hindu leader Sadhvi Ritambhara as he sat on his fast against black money at the Ramlila Ground here, Baba Ramdev Saturday said he had known her for the past 15 years.

          "I have known Sadhvi Ritambhara for last 15 years, I have seen the maternity centre she runs in Mathura," he said.

          Allegations that his movement was backed by the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) gained momentum after Sadhvi Ritambhara, who is linked to the RSS and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and is one of the accused in the Babri Masjid demolition case, was seen sharing the dais with Ramdev at the Ramlila Ground Saturday.

          "Those who see communalism in culture and civilisation have a distorted mentality, I will not comment on them," Ramdev added.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2011
            For those who sincerely fight against corruption see only one thing- how to keep it going and bring more and more people in its fold. One should not make it a monopoly and inject spirit of hate based on one, own liking and disliking. We must see that the movement moves with added momentum. Other considerations coming in the way like the one you have indicated will be an impediment and will work directly or indirectly against the cause we are fighting. Use your intellect and power in a positive manner.

            Dilip

            Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

            Dilip Kumar
            Rural Livelihood / Small-scale Aquaculture and Fisheries Development Adviser
            C-9 / 9698, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070, India
            Tel / Fax- + (91) 11-26899185;
            Mob: +(91) 9560455702
            E mail- dk.dilipkumar@...

            From: Khalid Azam <khalidazam@...>
            Sender: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <javedanand@...>; <anjalideshpande@...>; <seshu_apclc@...>; <agnivesh@...>; <archis.mohan@...>; <azadpancholi@...>; <sbhushan@...>; <prafulbidwai@...>; <umafam@...>; <dmc_nct@...>; <nhrc@...>; <editor@...>; <cpdr@...>; <catholicunion@...>; <pudrdelhi@...>; <jatindesai123@...>; <dibya.anna@...>; <bdikshit1@...>; <uthappam@...>; <dibang@...>; <outlook@...>; <radianceweekly@...>; <edit@...>; <ihro@yahoogroups.com>; <aiindex@...>; <aiindex@...>; <ketkarkumar@...>; <kumar.ketkar@...>; <vikasnaik@...>; <kavitakrish73@...>; <madhuresh@...>; <kumkum@...>; <safar1957@...>; <mani9000@...>; <radhikamenon1@...>; <mkssrajasthan@...>; <dileep.apca@...>; <seemamustafa@...>; <nanditanarain@...>; <pbhushan@...>; <psainath@...>; <pucl_sk@...>; <puclnat@...>; <pucldelhi@...>; <pudrdelhi@...>; <balraj_puri1@...>; <luv_puri@...>; <searchshoma@...>; <PWAP@yahoogroups.com>; <humra45@...>; <raajpushkar@...>; <ramendra@...>; <satyender.ranjan@...>; <satyendra.ranjan@...>; <arao@...>; <knanditarao@...>; <rheditor@...>; <south@...>; <sabrang@...>; <allhopes@...>; <rheditor@...>; <arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>; <pucl@yahoogroups.com>; Ram Puniyani<ram.puniyani@...>; Shabnam Hashmi<shabnamhashmi@...>; Teesta Setalvad<teestateesta@...>; Harsh Mander<manderharsh@...>; Siddharth Varadarajan<sv1965@...>; Flavia Agnes<flaviaagnes@...>; Mukul Sinha<mukul.sinha@...>; Subhash Gatade<subhash.gatade@...>; Subhashini Ali<Subhashini_Ali@...>; Juzar Bandukwala<drbandukwala@...>; Shafeeq Mahajir<brainstormlegal@...>; Shubhradeep Chakravorty<shubhradeep@...>; Vijay Prashad<vijay.prashad@...>; Ahmedabad<sjprashant@...>; Kancha Ilaiah<kanchailaiah@...>; Udit Raj<dr.uditraj@...>
            ReplyTo: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2011
              Ramdev is a yoga tycoon. not a swami, and far from being a sadhu, a sant or a saint

              On 7 June 2011 11:38, Mukul Dube <uthappam@...> wrote:
              I see. You mean that the use of the term "Swami" by itself signifies "praise and respect"? Are you not aware that "Swami" and "Baba" are routinely attached to this Ramdev fellow's name, even by people who are opposed to him? I think, young lady, that you are randomly casting about for things with which you can defend an indefensible position.

              All people make mistakes. Gentlemen apologise for them.

              MD

              On Tuesday 07 June 2011 11:21 AM, nandita rao wrote:
              Dear Mr. Dube,
              I think what Khalid was objecting to was the reference to Ramdev as a
              Swami etc.......i think that is avoidable.
              On apologising to Mr. Pancholi, honestly i dont think Khalid in any
              way disrespected, Pancholi ji, who atleast i know personally and have
              worked with and have the greatest respect for. Khalid appeared to me
              to be just expressing his disagreement with PUCL backing guys like
              Ramdev, he wasnt accusign anyone personally and i am sure PUCL doesnt
              mind such expression of views by people who are recipients of their e
              mails.
              On PUCL  the name suggests its a Peoples Union for  CIVIL LIBERTIES
              and I am assuming that people who are committed to fighting civil
              liberties fight for them whether these liberties are attacked by state
              or non state actors.
              Even if PUCL cant be a watch dog against right wing forces, it doesnt
              need to give them tacid approval by refering to people like Ramdev as
              Swami Ji.
              The statement could have just said that, " We Condemn Polic excesses
              against innocent citizens collected at Ram Lila Ground"
              nandita

              On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Mukul Dube <uthappam@...
              <mailto:uthappam@...>> wrote:

                 Ms. Rao,

                 Khalid speaks of "the praise and respect that PUCL is trying to
                 accord to 'Swami ji' Ramdev." The PUCL has attempted no such
                 thing. Kalid should either substantiate his accusation or else
                 accept his error and apologise to Mr. Pancholi.

                 The function of the PUCL is contained in its name. In the past I
                 have had reason to disagree with what it has done and said, and I
                 never will be a member, but I say that to expect it to serve as a
                 sort of all-purpose watchdog is not justified.

                 This brings up a theme which I have raised earlier also. We have
                 no citizens' groups which monitor the activities of
                 fundamentalists and hate mongers and ask for State action against
                 them when that is necessary. Local police forces should be
                 compelled by such groups to act against those who engage in such
                 activities when they go against the Indian Penal Code. Rithambara,
                 Praveen Togadia and Narendra Modi are only a few of those who
                 should have been locked up long ago.

                 We need such groups: but the PUCL is not such a group and never was.

                 MD

                 On Tuesday 07 June 2011 10:25 AM, nandita rao wrote:

                     I fully endorse Khalids views.
                     I think just as PUCL is vigilant of goverment actions, it must
                     also be
                     vigilant and critical of actions of terrorist and fasist
                     groups like
                     the RSS. ramdev brandishing his sword from stage was
                     reminiscent of
                     the VHP camps in gujarat pre the 2002 genocide and as a
                     resident of
                     Delhi ti was scary.
                     I am not justifying the manner in which the goverment conducted
                     themselves but I personally felt relieved that these hindu
                     right wing
                     forces which are known to cause unrest were out of delhi and
                     somewhere
                     that condemnation should have come.
                     The problem with civil protests and citizens protests is we
                     must be
                     vigilant not be highjakced by political forces that are
                     oppossed to
                     civil liberties such as the RSS.

                     On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Khalid Azam
                     <khalidazam@... <mailto:khalidazam@...>
                     <mailto:khalidazam@... <mailto:khalidazam@...>>>

                     http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newsid=242839&newstype=local

                     <mailto:azadpancholi@...>
                     <mailto:azadpancholi@...

                             From: N. Pancholi <azadpancholi@...
                     <mailto:azadpancholi@...>
                     <mailto:azadpancholi@... <mailto:azadpancholi@...>>>
                             Subject: [Arkitect India] PUCL protest on police action
                             against Baba Ramdev
                             Date: Saturday, June 4, 2011, 9:41 PM

                             E-Mail: <pucldelhi@... <mailto:pucldelhi@...>>

                     --
                     Nandita Rao
                     Advocate

                 --
                 Mukul Dube
                 D-504 Purvasha (Anand Lok Apts.)

              --
              Nandita Rao
              Advocate
              LLM (International Law)
              Residence cum Office:
              J-152 Saket, New Delhi 110017
              Tel Nos: 29555376:29552589 9999031918

              --
              Mukul Dube
              D-504 Purvasha (Anand Lok Apts.)
              Mayur Vihar 1
              Delhi 110091
              India
               uthappam@..., arhardal@...
               + 91 - 987 355 3167
               011 - 2275 0240

              --
              Please note that i have changed my email to john.dayal@...
              Kindly use john.dayal@... in all future postings. Thank you

              Please also visit

            • counterinsurgency veterans
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2011
                My friend,
                you need to understand police need to follow standardized procedures and practices before resorting to force.
                It was restraint used by public that it did not turn violent otherwise mob of criminals in khaki uniform did everything. These criminals display all thier bravery only while dealing with unarmed peaceful people, but when pitted against armed criminals/professionals they die like sitting ducks.Mumbai is an example,Chattisgarh and Jharhkhand is another example where these people can be seen meeting their fate.
                Let these top cops and their criminal elements be unarmed and put in the same Shamiana and allow few army jawans to just slap these top cops and molest their women, these elements will not only wet their pants they will shit in thier pants.

                On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 09:08:03 +0530 wrote

[...]

                Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!
              • N. Pancholi
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2011
                  Dear Mr.Khalid,
                      I am sorry that use of  word "Swami ji" in my statement  led you to believe that  PUCL was trying to accord  praise and respect for Ram Dev. This is not what was intended. The word was used only in the sense of as part of his name. I agree with you that persons like Ram  Dev should not be accorded any praise and respect from organisations like PUCL. The use of the word was inadvertent and un-intentional. I also agree with you that Ram Dev's movement has been supported,  and rather sponsored,  by communal elements and  presence of Rithambhara on the dais at Ramlila ground confirmed this fact. Please do not refer to Rithambara as 'Sadhvi' in you mails because this word in Hindi denotes to a person who is saint, pure, compassionate and truthful which she is not. I  assure you that I shall be careful in future.
                      Thanks and with warm regards,
                                                                            N.D.Pancholi

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2011
                    For whatever it is worth, I am a Founding Editor of PUCL Bulletin and began learning about public life around JPji, walking with him when I did not even know the meaning of social engagement.

                    PUCL Bulletin was born in 1981. Our team included lawyer Arun Jaitley, Late Smitu Kothari, Journalist Neeraja Chowdhurie and teacher Aurobindo Ghosh. I was in my early 20s, a young Assistant Editor with the Indian Express Group then. The group represented a diversity of ideas and ideological persuasions.

                    I am surprised by the strong statements made by Pancholiji whom I recall from our earlier meetings.

                    We have to respect EVERYONE until they make themselves entirely disagreeable and even that must be dealt with respect.

                    It is no less polite to call Baba Ramdev, just Ramdev and calling Pancholiji just Pancholi. We have to accept a standard for all our civil conversations.

                    Divisionary approaches do not do any nation much good. I disagree, respectfully with both Khalidji and Pancholiji. Regardless of Ramdevji's backers, we need to learn and appreciate how to disagree respectfully without being disagreeable.

                    Regards

                    T: 301 841 7422
                    F: 301 560 4909
                    ________________

                  • Kuriala
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2011

                      I fully agree with the opinion that Ram Dev is a yoga teacher and a business tycoon and not beyond that. His dress and beard does not make him a Swami or a Baba. Those are meant for spiritual people.

                      Fr. Kuriala Chittattukalam sdb

                      Secretary,

                      Office for Education & Culture,

                      CBCI Centre, 1 Ashok Centre,