Re: [Arkitect India] Message for Moderators.

  • sanjib k
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
      Dear Friends
       I would request all of you to refrain from making loose comments in this kind of e forum.I do agree with the suggestion that the group members should know the editorial policy BUT at the same time we should not make comment like "any Tom, Dick and Harry can start a high ........ read various opinions ".
      There may be difference  in opinion/views but that does not mean one is better than other.
      We also need to understand the difference between controlling and moderating.
      Just ask yourself....If you get hundred mails a day(that also different kind of free offer/lottery etc?),will you be OK with that?
      We can raise question..suggest too.But we should not throw tantrum.

      Regards to all
      Sanjib

      Things do not change; we change

      From: Sadanand Patwardhan <2Sadanand@...>
      Subject: [Arkitect India] Message for Moderators.
      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 1:52 PM

      Dear Moderators,

      I find that messages I post to the group are not published. Would you kindly inform what is your editorial policy?

      Regards,
      Sadanand Patwardhan

      --
      Dr. Shaheen Ansari
      Arkitect India

      http://educationatdoorsteps.blogspot.com

    • VN
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 6:41 AM

        Dear Shaheen,

        I would like to draw your attention to Tarique Ata's can you please reply to this... Its becoming unbearable...and add that as a Moderator you should have answered issues raised by Sadanand because you as the Owner-Moderator formulated the  Editorial or Moderation policy. How can anybody else incl. the members answer why Sadanand's msg is rejected.  So members are made to unnecessarily talk tangentially which is meaningless.

        vns

        --- In arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com, Shaheen Ansari <ansarishaheen@...> wrote:

        > Dear Tarique,
        > I am waiting for members of this forum-
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkitectindia/ to reply. I will consolidate
        > and send my response later.
        >
        > I am open for comment, criticism and suggestion to improve exchange of ideas
        > and experience at Arkitect India. I am grateful for Sadanand for initiating
        > this debate.
        >
        > Arkitect India is a public space and democratic forum and its members have
        > every right to question about the policy and system of moderation.
        >
        > Thanks and regards,
        > Shaheen
        >
        > On 31 March 2011 13:14, Tarique Ata tariqueata@... wrote:
        >

        > > Moderator Shaheen, can you please reply to this... Its becoming
        > > unbearable...
        > >
        > > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Prof.Kalluri S.Rao ksrsl@...wrote:
        > >

        > >> The tragedy in the policy of e mail sites is any Tom, Dick and Harry
        > >> can start a high sounding group . In dia there is no dearth of people who
        > >> have no work. So, Some will join to have fun and read various opinions .
        > >>
        > >> The moderator can filter the messages or even block them. There is a group
        > >> for Higher Education in India. What a lofty Theme ? But if you see very
        > >> carefully the realistic aims of these fora are becoming dubious. Of course
        > >> there are some genuine intellectuals caught in this rigmarole.
        > >>
        > >> One should not become amember of these splinter groups if the moderator
        > >> has the right to block the messages.
        > >>
        > >> KSRao
        > >>
        > >> Kalluri Subba Rao., Ph.D., D.Sc.(IISc),FAS-AP, FAMS., FNASc.,FNA.
        > >> INSA-Hon.Scientist and Professor,Center for Biotechnology, Institute of
        > >> Science and Technology (IST) , Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University,
        > >> Kukatpally, Hyderabad-500085. Email:ksrsl@...

      • Anupama Rathore
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2 5:10 AM
          Dear Friends,

          I completely agree with Sanjibji. I have been follwoing this efroum since 2004-5 and I saw several mails related to policy and content. I was trying to find out those mails but only find these. I am giving the links here. This may help shaheen and developing a proper policy.

          Pankaj's comment
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkitectindia/message/7154

          In fact I am looking for a detailed mails regarding what Sadanandji is asking. Shaheen wriote about it 4-5 years back. I still remember but I am not able to find out. I will again try to send it. I am doing it as volunteer for Arktect India because it has given me a lot. I have benefitted a lot.  I read one mail by Pankaj ji. I want to say my thouhg throguh pankaj ji's words- "I did not know you were moderating, which would require carefully reading of all submissions. This involves a lot of investment of your time, of which we are the main beneficiaries. "

          Last but not the list, I am one of the people who did not respond to Shaheen's request to send comment and suggestion for imporivemtn of mails at Arktect India online discution forum.

          Let us do it now. I will contriubute in two ways.
          1. By writing my thought regarding its poicy
          2. by seraching moderater's old emails (note) on mailing system and policy of the Arkitect India.

          being a member this forum, I would also like others to share their ideas for its improvement.

          Regards,
          Anupama

          Note: In the process searching those mails, I saw these beautiful articles. I am just sharing it for you all.

          Pondering and Wondering

          Who said the Light of hope has died?

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 6:55 AM
            Dear All,

            It is very tough to STATE an editorial policy on a priori basis, unless it is highly partisan, as it is impossible to forecast the nature of submissions that would be made and to specify how all these varities would be handled.

            Each reader/ member anyway has a freedom to not read what they do not like, or launch an alternate forum if they feel that their views are not getting adequate space.

            I do not quite understand what the fuss is about.

            The moderator has been putting lots of efforts, and my advice to all members would be to agree to contribute some amount so Shaheen could hire help to handle so much traffic.
            With best wishes.

            Pankaj

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 12:40 PM
              Dear Shaheen,

              I endorse Dr. VN Sharma's suggestion that you may like to clarify the issue about the editorial policy of this internet group. This alone will settle things and lead to improvement of the quality of debate. I am sure you also feel the same way.

              Regards,

              - Anil Sadgopal