Re: [arkitectindia] petiton against naz foundation

  • padma priya
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2005

      i would like to express my concern over the issue and also to some extent agree with ur views. i personally feel that this concept of being a pervert and the current trend of social deviation is nothing but a fashion statement practised by many in the page 3 social circles and by many more to earn some easy money. otherwise how could something that constituted a neglible minority some time back become a mainstream phenomenon. what mighthave been an act of deviation earlier has now become a trend.

      however, most people who support the cause, agree with the fact that this might lead to child sexual abuse and same sex rape, and therefore agree with the fact that the mere scrapping of S 377 without appropriate amendments in rape laws, would rather be an even worse backfire.

      the proposed amendments to the existing rape laws worked upon by the National Commission for Women takes care of this. child sexual abuse which, till now was trated as an offence under S 377 and thus called for lesser punishment, has now been proposed to be made an aggravated form of sexual assault.

      if this is put forward as an argument, it might weigh heavily in favor of the NAZ foundation, beacuse these amendents may soon become a law, looking into the fact that there is enough political will to pass the bill.

      anyway, lets see what stand does the SC take on this.

      padma

      On 10/31/05, Muhammad Mukhtar Alam <mukhtaralam2000@...> wrote:
      Dear all , I would like share an appeal, that I have sent to Supreme Court
      of India.

      This is for information only.

      Dr.Muhammad Mukhtar Alam
      ======================

      The Chief Justice
      Supreme Court of India
      New Delhi

      Sub: Reasons for preserving section 377 of Indian Panel Code and rejecting
      the appeal of NAZ foundation

      Honorable Sir,

      1.      I, Muhammad Mukhtar Alam, s/o Janab Abdur Rahman and permanant resident
      of village Mathurapur, district –Bhagalpur, Bihar, would like to draw your
      attention to the petition of Naz Foundation that has been rightly rejected
      by the High Court of Delhi. The petition challenges "the constitutional
      validity of section 377 of the IPC on the grounds that it criminalizes
      homosexual act even between two consenting adults". (The Hindustan Times
      December 8, 2001).

      2.      I would like to respond to this as a citizen of this country and a
      world citizen and call for a dismissal of this petition. A favorable
      judgement for the petition will violate the rights of children to have
      reverent role models, and, most importantly will create a supportive
      social climate for the adoption of homosexuality in India.
      3.      I would like to strongly oppose the move of Naz Foundation as an
      anti-children, anti-family and anti-God. Also through my research work I
      have proved that environmental factors for the adoption of homosexuality
      are ignored by all these campaigners of civil liberties while
      overemphasizing the contribution of genetic determinism. There is a case
      for "hijras" but then there is no case for the homosexuals who have been
      imitating a deviant and degenerate sexual practice that has been approved
      in the European and American laws. My related academic submissions
      pointing out the need to review of the decision of American Psychiatric
      Association contained in my conceptual organization for description,
      analysis, prediction and control of the personal/ social / world order can
      be seen at http://muhammad_mukhtar_alam.tigblog.org  . The submissions are
      web referred at a youth site and are part of the findings of the discourse
      analysis for my Ph.D. dissertation on "A Study of the Cognitive
      Representations related to the Concept of World Citizen" that has been
      presented to University of Delhi in September 2000.
      4.      The petition contends that article 377 of the IPC violates the
      liberties enshrined in the constitution under article 14.15,19 and 21 in
      so far as it penalizes predominantly homosexual acts in private between
      consenting adults. This can be seen that this is an instance of
      overgeneralization for the provisions of the cited articles. There is a
      concern for the rights of the children for reverent role models. Making
      homosexual act lawful will mean endangering the lives of many children who
      are being already provided with an overdose of atheistic libertarian
      values where pre-marital and extramarital affairs do not get denounced,
      punished and condemned.
      5.      The article 377 of the IPC deals with the subject of unnatural offences
      and states that "whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the
      order of the nature with any man, woman or animal shall be punished with
      imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either description for a
      term which may extend upto ten years and shall also be liable to fine".
      There is a need to preserve this provision as its deletion even with
      regard to the homosexuals and lesbians will create problems for the
      collective social health and individual health.
      6.      It has been argued, "section 377 creates an arbitrary and unreasonable
      classification between natural (penile-vaginal) and unnatural (penile-non
      vaginal) sexual acts that violates article 14's equal protection before
      and under law". Here Naz Foundation already assumes the existence of a
      "sexual minority" whose rights are considered to be violated. There is no
      recognition of such minority in the constitution. There should not be any
      recognition to such a minority in the law. Also classifications of the
      sexual acts are very reasonable. Naz foundation is absolutely misguided in
      mimicking the deviant atheistic intellectual and political currents
      originating in Europe and US in this regard. Also Naz Foundation is
      misguiding the court on its understanding of constitutionally recognized
      minorities. There is no violation of the article 14 of the constitution
      with reference to the provisions of article 377 as there is no recognition
      for "sexual orientation" as a category. If there is recognition for sexual
      minority there can be also a call to recognize the human rights of the
      thieves and pickpockets to indulge in their smart acts of fooling,
      cheating and looting.
      7.      It has been argued that Section 377 imposes traditional gender
      stereotypes concerning the "natural" sexual roles for men and women upon
      the sexual minorities". Here again there is an explicit reference to the
      "sexual minority" which refers to men and women who have been misguided
      for appropriating homosexual acts. Instead of calling for help in
      correcting the deviant behavior an appeal is being made to recognize it as
      a normal and natural act. All traditional gender roles cannot be
      denounced. Atheistic feminist discourse needs to have recognition of the
      limits that are imposed biologically, ecologically, and morally. "Hijras"
      need a special rehabilitative attention and for them there is no
      imposition of gender roles. Hijra's are sexually challenged with reference
      to reproductive capacities and there is no imposition of gender roles on
      them. For homosexuals and lesbians, specific gender roles will continue to
      be socially desirable as for many they will be known as men and women..
      8.       According to the petition, the social effects (of article 377) drive
      gay men underground with a devastating impact upon HIV prevention efforts
      as " it becomes difficult to identify and target this population for HIV
      /AIDS prevention efforts through education and provision of medical
      services". I would like to denounce this contention, as most of men who
      have unnatural sex with men cannot be considered to be so ignorant and
      illiterate. As per journalistic accounts most of the men and women
      identifying themselves, as gays and lesbians respectively are quite well
      educated. There is no need for making homosexuality lawful in our country.
      There is need to campaign for the reverting to the pre-1973 position in so
      far as the related categorization in Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
      US is concerned.  Sheldon B. Korchin has noted the fact interestingly in
      his book on Clinical Psychology that it was the gay movement in US that
      compelled APA to change the understanding of homosexuality in 1973.
      "Homosexuality was no longer considered a sexual deviance rather it was
      just an 'alternative orientation'" (Sheldon J. Korchin (1998),"Modern
      Clinical Psychology, Principles of Intervention in the Clinic and
      Community", CSB Publishers). It may be noted that there is hardly anything
      "oriental" about this "orientation". Homosexuality is a product of lack of
      moral control and absolutely wrong socialization .It is curable. The best
      cure can be tried by seeking forgiveness for the past sinful deeds.

      9.      It is important to campaign for the restoration of the old definition
      of degenerate practice of homosexuality that is being celebrated and
      paraded in the dancing halls and bars of the irreverent and atheistic West
      whereas practice of religion is propagated to be restricted to the privacy
      of the homes. Also, I would like to appeal the people in the "orient" to
      campaign for deleting the word orientation as this word has been abused by
      referring this to a sexual deviance in DSM manual of American Psychiatric
      Association.

      10.      According to a study conducted by Himachal Pradesh Voluntary Health
      Association, Shimla 20% of the children have experienced homosexual
      atrocities. "Another after effect of this is sharp increase in
      Transportation work which mainly comprise of rural people of HP with large
      involvement of children working as cleaner. For one Big Cement plant viz.
      ACC Cement Barmana approximately 8000 trucks are operating. As per one
      small study 20% of such children have experienced homosexual atrocities".
      There are other studies that have shown the involvement of homosexuals in
      sexual abuse of the children through internet as well. Thus, I would like
      to argue that granting revision and elimination of the prohibitory
      provisions of article 377 will further increase the incidence of child sex
      abuse by male homosexuals. In UK, there had been a demand by the gays for
      reducing the age of consent from 18 to 14. Considering the dominance of
      the atheistic liberal ethos, many children and adults will be become prone
      to the abuse of homosexuals. Also there had been a study where 70% of the
      abused children had been the victims of sodomy by homosexuals.

      11.     Considering the above I would like to appeal for the dismissal of the
      petition of Naz Foundation while also seeking the deletion of references
      to adoption of homosexuality as matter of human right in the documents of
      Amnesty International.

      12.     Considering the developments in Europe and US in this regard there
      might be a call for redefining institution of family so as to incorporate
      homosexual couples as family. There may be also be call then for them to
      be considered as legitimate recipient of abandoned children for adoption.
      Thus it can be seen that for many youth, children and future generations
      permission of deletion in provision of article 377 of IPC, there will be a
      great intellectual and moral confusion. This will also have significant
      adverse impact in the families where some boys and girls under the
      persuasion of such neo-liberal atheistic "social workers" and homosexuals
      will be called on to "come out of closet" and announce to the families and
      relatives that they are gay.

      13.     According to a study reported in Hindustan Times of 10 May 2001, two
      psychologists led by Dr.Robert Spitzer proved that highly motivated
      homosexuals could be converted. They also repudiated the attitude of the
      mental health professionals "who have bought the idea that once you are
      gay you cannot be changed". He and his colleagues have found that 66% of
      men and 44% of women had achieved good heterosexual functioning. With
      reference to the petition of Naz Foundation it can be seen that there is
      no reference for the existence of controversy on the etiology of
      homosexuality. Instead, they have been calling for making homosexuality
      lawful.

      14.     In case, there is a favorable judgement, there cannot be an end to the
      social denunciation of lesbians and homosexuals in India considering the
      strong conservative values that are shared across the religious groups in
      this regard. If the petitioners and their tutors think that they are
      "progressives" then they must recognize that RSS, practicing Muslims,
      Christians, Jains and Buddhists will continue denouncing them for their
      misguided understanding and seek correction in attitudes. Considering the
      history of dissidence this may be noted that appropriation of
      homosexuality is an instance of the most extreme and worst development in
      the anti-Christian discourse in Europe that was championed by Michel
      Foucault who could have excluded gays and lesbians while advocating for
      better treatment of women, blacks and prisoners. But then in his zeal for
      unearthing the archeology of knowledge he tried to have "limit experience"
      in the bars with provisions for sadomasochist experiences and liberated
      the gays and lesbians from the psychiatric label. Formation of groups of
      lesbians and homosexuals across the world are seeking a change in the
      legislation in all societies. Unfortunately, Richard Falk has also
      included such a change in the existing legislations as part of "humane
      governance" (Falk, Richard (1995), "Towards a new global politics ,world
      order model project report of the global civilization initiative", Polity
      Press  Cambridge, UK )

      15.     Considering the exclusive studies by the undersigned, I may be called
      in person for presenting my case.

      Considering the above I would like to appeal for the dismissal of the
      petition with a severe reprimand for Naz Foundation while suggesting them
      to use faith based instruments for gays and lesbians. They can do better
      prevention of AIDS by faith based counseling than seeking legitimacy for
      deviant sexual acts. I would like to earnestly request you to reject the
      petition and affirm the judgment of the Delhi High Court in this regard.

      Thanking you in anticipation

      Respectfully

      Dr. Muhammad Mukhtar Alam
      Residential Address: 62-A, DDA Flats, Ashok Vihar-III, Delhi-110052

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/VaTolB/TM

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Amit Basu
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
        I would like to label Mr. Mukhtar as a homophobic and heterosexist as he has labelled homosexuals as 'deviants'. Reading his blog was equally dissappointing because his 'research' is tentative and biased.
        amit basu

      • Muhammad Mukhtar Alam
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
          Dear Amit,

          Greetings,

          I am not sure if we can reslove the issues without undertanding all the
          issues..For me, I am serving the interest of all men and women and
          children who wish to seek both temporal and eternal wellbeing. My analysis
          and recommendations are in the best interests of men and women who
          appropriate homosexuality.

          I do not fear anyone. I do fear the Day of Judgement as a Muslim and seek
          a better deal for myself and all.

          The arguments in the letter for the Chief Justice is based on the shared
          values acorss the religio-cultural moral universes.

          I am biased for the right approach towards the rights and duties of men
          and women to each other and to Almigthy.

          I would like to seek deletion of the appropriation of homosexulity in the
          mind of men and women with the application of faith based instruments.

          With best wishes

          Dr.Muhammad Mukhtar Alam

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Shahrukh Alam
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
            Dear Mr. Muhammad Mukhtar Alam:

            Whatever be your views on the subject, I think it is not proper to
            presume that they coincide with that of Islam or speak exclusively on
            behalf of 'our' culture. Those are your views and you will find many
            supporters of your views who speak from a 'religo-cultural' space, but
            then there are others too, who hold other views and who also believe
            in a certain set of ethics. I invite you to read Scott Siraj Kugle and
            Farid Esack - Islamic Liberation theologians both, on the subject.

            Regards etc.

            > The arguments in the letter for the Chief Justice is based on the shared
            > values acorss the religio-cultural moral universes.
            >
            > I am biased for the right approach towards the rights and duties of men
            > and women to each other and to Almigthy.
            >
            > I would like to seek deletion of the appropriation of homosexulity in the
            > mind of men and women with the application of faith based instruments.
            >
            > With best wishes
            >

            > Dr.Muhammad Mukhtar Alam

          • Oishik Sircar
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005

              Dr. Alam:

              It's dishonest to talk about people's rights and duties without allowing space for the voices of those whose rights are actually being affected and indeed violated. What kind of human rights violation have you faced because of people who engage in alternative sexual practices? What kind of violations have heterosexual people, for whom you are advocating criminalizing homosexuality faced? To the contrary, it's people who have alternative sexual preferences and are erotic minorities, who are at the receiving end of violations due to the biases of the 'pervert' majority that discriminates against them.

              Whatever happened to diversity? If we can think of respecting caste, class and indeed religion based differences... how does it become so difficult for you to accept difference on the basis of sexuality?

              What is also quite absurd in your petition... is the fact that you submit that 'homosexuality' is western import... surprisingly by citing wetern studies and authors... that's flawed research...

              You've got to keep your mind open... you've got to be more toleranant and accomodating to talk about human rights yourself... otherwise, the way you seem to be up-in-arms agaisnt sexual minorities in India... you have set yourself up as an intolerant, discriminatory rogue...

              You don't consider people, irrespective of whatever their color, creed, gender, class, caste, religion or sexuality to be human beings... your thoughts are partisan and discriminatory from their very foundation... you've got to meet sexually marginalised people to believe that they are humans too... not aliens who need to be wiped out of the world's face... and if that's what you are professing... your thoughts are no less dangerous than Hitler's...

              Pardon my being critical... but you have no idea about minority rights and issues of discrimination... cause you are part of that school that still perpetuates it... if not in the name of religion... in the name of sexuality...

              Oishik

              OISHIK SIRCAR LL.B.
              Human Rights Lawyer and Researcher

              From: Muhammad Mukhtar Alam <mukhtaralam2000@...>
              To: Amit Basu <amitrbasu50@...>, arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [arkitectindia] petiton against naz foundation
              Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 02:48:12 -0800 (PST)

> [...]

              > petition with a severe reprimand for Naz Foundation while suggesting
              > them
              > to use faith based instruments for gays and lesbians. They can do better
              >
              > prevention of AIDS by faith based counseling than seeking legitimacy for
              > deviant sexual acts. I would like to earnestly request you to reject the
              > petition and affirm the judgment of the Delhi High Court in this regard.
              >

              > Thanking you in anticipation
              >
              > Respectfully
              >

              > Dr. Muhammad Mukhtar Alam
              > Residential Address: 62-A, DDA Flats, Ashok Vihar-III, Delhi-110052
              >

              > __________________________________
              > http://farechase.yahoo.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >  Enjoy this Diwali with Y! India Click here

              Jawaharlal nehru universityVolunteerismEnvironmental issues

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Muhammad Mukhtar Alam
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                Dear Oishik,

                Calling names does not help. I did not wish to respond to all the mails
                though I did expect some. We all have our points . I have shared the
                petition for information. The issue is for judgement. This is not the
                issue of majority or a minority..I have denounced Michel Foucault who was
                called an AIDS Guerilla..He wrote on the geneology of knowledge with an
                atheistic deconstructionist view..I argue for global application of
                monotheistic decosntruction..

                Shahrukh.. Did u read verses in Quran.. the story of the people of
                Loot..The issue is that of making homosexuality lawful..Is this in
                accordance with the commands of Allah...Our words and whims and desires
                can not all made lawful..

                Dr.Muhammad Mukhtar Alam

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • Shahrukh Alam
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2005
                  As a matter of fact, I have, sir. And that is precisely why I was
                  trying to draw your attention to the writings of Scott Siraj-al haqq
                  Kugle. He discusses the story of loot in great detail.(See Sexuality,
                  diversity and ethics in the agenda of progressive Muslims, Scott Siraj
                  al-Haqq Kugle in Progressive Muslims ed. Omid Safi). There are many
                  Christian Liberation Theologians who also write about the Biblical
                  reference to the same story and see it somewhat differently than you.

                  Their readings might convince you or they might not. But the fact is
                  that different interpretations to the story do exist. And they come
                  from within Islam/Christianity. Religion/culture does not comprise a
                  monolithic body of knowledge. And at least I wouldn't want to assert
                  that my particular understanding of the text is more correct than all
                  others...

                  Regards

                  > Shahrukh.. Did u read verses in Quran.. the story of the people of
                  > Loot..The issue is that of making homosexuality lawful..Is this in
                  > accordance with the commands of Allah...Our words and whims and desires
                  > can not all made lawful..
                  >

                  > Dr.Muhammad Mukhtar Alam

                • Arshad Alam
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005

                    Dear Dr. Mukhtar Alam

                    Your curious appellation of Foucault's 'athesitic deconstruction' was most interesting. But let me remind u that even Foucault's atheism did not make him blind to celebrate the Iranian revolution. And that is precisely the point. While being wedded to a particluar deconstructionist approach, whether u are able to appreciate other approches or not. In short whether you accept plurality and multivocality of actors or not. Your most curious monotheism leaves the polytheists to be roundly denounced. This is facscist!

                    You can of course bring Allah to your defence. But please give this right to other people also who have every right to interptret texts as they like. Allah is not ur monopoly alone.

                    Best Regads, Arshad.