2569IN-FOCUS: Jal-Satyagrah in Delhi against Coca Cola declared

  • DailySouthAsian
    Jul 2, 2006
      IN-FOCUS: Jal-Satyagrah in Delhi against Coca Cola declared
      DailySouthAsian
      ---------------
      National Alliance of People's Movements
      A'wing' First Floor, Haji Habib Building
      Naigaon Cross road, Dadar (E)Mumbai - 400014
      E- mail: mumbainapm@..., napm_up@..., ashaashram@...
      1st July 2006
      AGITATION AGAINST COKE STEPS UP FROM MEHNDIGANJ TO DELHI
      Nandlal and Mukesh break the 5 days long hunger fast and 100 days long dharna outside Mehndiganj Coca Cola plant, to step up agitation against Coca Cola in Delhi
      Noted NBA Leader MEDHA PATKAR and Magsaysay Awardee and NAPM leader SANDEEP Pandey to lead the JAL-SATYAGRAH in New Delhi from September 2006
      --------------------------

           Nandlal and Mukesh Break the 5th day hunger fast and 100th day dharana to step up coca-cola agitation

           Mehandiganj and people from other parts of UP declare strong agitation against coke at National level.

           Medha Patkar and Sandeep Panday declare historic 'National Jal Satyagraha' at Delhi

        In ahuge gathering of more than 1500 people including men, women and farmers joining Mehandiganj people from different parts of UP Medha Patkar and Sandeep Pandey, Nandalal and Mukesh along with thousands of people declared intensified agitation against coke and 'National Jal Styagraha' at Delhi in September 2006.

        With this promise and resolution and spirit the 100 day long dharna and indefinite fast of Nandlal and Mukesh which entered 5th day today was called off.
         women arriving from the far flung villages were in the fore front of these decision and many of them challenge the coke imperialism and took oath that come what may they will drive these companies not only from Mehandiganj but also from India.

        "We may be able to get food from out side but what will be do without water, we cannot allow our children's future to become dark zone because of these water steeling and water polluting coca cola companies" said  Tara ben and many other women who gathered in mehandiganj.

        'We will give our life to drive these companies out of our soil and will not hesitate to give our life for saving water protecting  land and natural resources' was the words of Meera ben with hope, enthusiasm and spirit.  Majority of women requested thNandlal and Mukesh to break the fast as for now and take the aguitation at national level.

        People from all over India and abroad came to show solidarity and support to the agitation. NAPM's National convenors from Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Mumbai came to support the  struggle and join hand with mehandiganj people.

        In her address to the gathering Medha Patkar Challenged the Coca -Cola Company on their violation of all the environmental norms and the usurpation of natural resources. She said that it is no more the issue alone of Mehandiganj but a much larger issue which is creating havoc in the life of people in Plachimada in Kerala, Kala Dera, in Rajasthan and many other areas in India where Coke- Pepsi and even many water bottling plants are established.  Water is being sold at  phenomena cost and this has converted a very fundamental, and essential for life -'common people's resources' into a 'commodity' which is a blatant violation of people's right and against the Indian culture.

        Sandeep Pandey brought to the notice of the adverse health impact of the coke consumption on children.

        The agitation thus was called off with more enthusiam , boost and renued energy to take it at the national level.
      for more information please contact:
      Dr Sandeep Pandey
      Email: ashaashram@...
      Phones: (0522) 2347365, 94150 22772