19768Re: [Arkitect India] AIFRTE - Press release of Demonstration in front of Shashtri Bhawan, DELHI - 18 july 2014 [6 Attachments]
- Jul 30, 2014We all citizens of India who believe in peaceful co-existence have to fight tooth and nail against the nefarious designs of BJP-led NDA government’s pronouncements of aggressively promoting commercialization of education through Public-Private Partnership (PPP); entry of FDI and foreign universities in higher education in pursuance of the agenda of WTO-GATS for making higher education a tradable commodity and the present regime’s moves to communalise school education by introducing “Vedic values” for induction in the school curriculum.If they believe that Vedic Values inculcate the spirit of resonsible citizenship among the children; they must also value of values of other faiths which also have more potential in building constructive thinking among the tender hearts - a positive step for Nation's Making.On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Lokesh Malti Prakash lokeshmaltiprakash@... [arkitectindia] <email@example.com> wrote:[Attachment(s) from Lokesh Malti Prakash lokeshmaltiprakash@... [arkitectindia] included below]
The National Executive of All-India Forum for Right to Education (AIFRTE) joined by nearly 400 activists, students and common people from Delhi staged a demonstration at Shastri Bhavan on 18th Julyafternoon to oppose the BJP-led NDA government’s pronouncements of aggressively promoting commercialization of education through Public-Private Partnership (PPP); entry of FDI and foreign universities in higher education in pursuance of the agenda of WTO-GATS for making higher education a tradable commodity. This amounts to subjugation of India’s sovereignty to World Bank, WTO-GATS and other agencies of global capital. We strongly condemn the present regime’s moves to communalise school education by introducing an obscurantist and pseudo-concept like “Vedic values” for induction in the school curriculum. This violates the goals of the Constitutional which lays down values of equality, social justice and civil liberties for all. We condemn the government’s appointment of Prof. Y. Sudershan Rao as Chairperson of the Indian Council for Historical Research (ICHR) who had been appointed to the Council by the HRD Minister of the earlier NDA regime. Prof. Rao’s ‘intellectual’ concerns and publications (in popular but not peer-reviewed journals) bear the imprint of Hindutva view of history. So strong is this identification that Prof. Rao found it necessary to claim that he loved his country although he was not a member of the RSS!
AIFRTE unequivocally condemns the tacit support for the RSS-led Vidya Bharati organization which continues to attack academic research and publication through vigilante actions aimed at terrorizing cultural practitioners, academicians, universities and publishers. Government has neither condemned nor taken any corrective action against such conduct.
AIFRTE appealed to all organisations and people of Delhi to join in raising the following demands:
· Ban FDI in higher education – stop entry of foreign universities. Immediately withdraw “offer” made to WTO-GATS which will become an irrevocable commitment with completion of Doha Round of trade negotiations.
· Stop closure/merger/auctioning/leasing/outsourcing of government schools to private bodies, NGOs, corporate houses or religious bodies in different states/UTs.
· Reverse decision of Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation to ‘privatize’ functioning and management of 1174 primary schools by outsourcing (‘adoption’) of government schools to corporate houses, religious bodies or NGOs. Stop similar moves in other states and union territories including Delhi, Karnataka and Uttarakhand.
· Ban all forms of PPP through schemes of fee reimbursement (e.g. Right to Education Act, 2009), tax exemptions, free/subsidized land and other hidden subsidies; voucher schools; sale, leasing or renting of government schools/campuses.
· Restore financial support measures (including scholarships etc) for SC/ST/OBC, minorities and disabled students inall Central and State Universities and other educational institutions.
· Immediately withdraw obscurantist, communal, majoritarian and unscientific programs in the curriculum in school or in higher education.
· Ban interference of communal organisations and non-academic bodies in educational institutions at any level. In particular, the activities of RSS and other Sangh-linked organisations like Vidya Bharati which appear to be emboldened by formation of Modi-sarkar must be strictly monitored and firmly disallowed.
EDUCATE ALL CHILDREN IN COMMON NEIGHBOURHOOD SCHOOLS AND BAN CHILD LABOUR
Prof. Madhu Prasad (Spokesperson, AIFRTE)
PS - The Handbill and Memorandum in English and Hindi are attached.
- << Previous post in topic