19163PMARC : Dalits Media Watch - News Updates 11.05.14

  • Arun Khote
    May 12, 2014

    Dalits Media Watch

    News Updates 12.05.14

    India: Man throws baby into river over loan- Gulf News

    ‘Lower caste’ child pays heavy price for ‘desecrating’ food in Anganwadi centre- Odisha Sun Times

    Rights panel member complains of harassment against colleague- DNA

    Villages Lack Graveyards for SC/STs- The New Indian Express

    Note: Please find attachment for HINDI DMW (PDF)

    Gulf News

    India: Man throws baby into river over loan

    Patna: A man in Bihar threw a nine-month-old girl into a river after her father failed to repay a loan of Rs500 (Dh30.6), triggering protests by angry villagers. The victim’s family comes from the Dalit class (an underprivileged caste).

    Police said Surendra Paswan, from the Sarangpur village, took a loan of Rs500 from Gautam Singh to do some urgent work in the family, but was unable to pay him back on time.

    Late on Friday evening, Paswan, his wife Nandini and their infant daughter Shrishti Kumari were returning home on his motorbike when the moneylender stopped Paswan’s vehicle on a bridge over the Suara river and asked him for his money back.

    Police said Singh was infuriated after the Paswan said he would be unable to pay the loan immediately. In a fit of anger, Singh snatched the baby from her mother’s lap and threw her into the river. The baby died instantly.

    “I told him I would repay the loan next month after [the] marriage of my sister but he (the moneylender) assaulted us and then threw ourchild into the river from the bridge,” Paswan said. He has lodged a case with the local police who are investigating the matter.

    Angry villagers later recovered the girl’s body from the river and protested on the streets seeking the arrest of the accused and adequate compensation to the victim’s family. Later, police rushed to the spot and handed over Rs20,000 to the victim’s family and said stern action would be taken against the accused.

    The police swung into action soon after the case was registered. “We are conducting raids to arrest the accused,” the local district superintendent of police Ratnamani Sanjeev told the media on Sunday.

    Odisha Sun Times

    ‘Lower caste’ child pays heavy price for ‘desecrating’ food in Anganwadi centre

    Odisha Sun Times Bureau

    Keonjhar, May 11:

    In a shocking, shameful and barbaric incident, a lady worker and a cook of an anganwadi centre in Odisha’s Keonjhar district allegedly threw piping hot liquid residue (peja) of cooked rice on a child, leaving him critically injured.

    The child was reportedly punished for ‘defiling’ the boiled eggs kept for the children in the Anganwadi Kendra.

    The child’s father Rilu Munda has alleged that his child suffered the inhuman attack simply because he committed the crime of touching the boiled eggs kept in a container at the Anganwadi Kendra. This enraged the anganwadi worker and the cook allegedly because the child who belongs to the ‘Munda’ caste had desecrated the eggs by touching them.

    The incident took place at the Khendra anganwadi kendra under Jhumpura police limits where an anganwadi worker Subhashree Giri and cook Sukanti Naik allegedly threw boiling hot ‘peja’ on a two and half year old child Parshuram Munda, resulting in serious burn injuries on his body.

    Parshuram, who was initially rushed to the Jhumpura Primary Health Centre was later shifted to the district headquarters hospital here.

    “The child has sustained severe burns on his body. However, his condition has stabilized and he is undergoing treatment here”, said Bijay Kumar Behera, ADMO, Keonjhar.

    Meanwhile, Jhumpura police has arrested both the anganwadi worker and the cook based on a complaint lodged by the child’s father, Rilu Munda.

    SDPO, Champua, P K Jena said since the complaint involved a caste angle he was himself investigating the matter.

    ADM Keonjhar, Sangram Keshari Swain said a probe has already been ordered and stringent action will be taken against the accused persons.

    The child will be shifted to Cuttack for treatment if the necessity arises, he said.

    Rights panel member complains of harassment against colleague

    A research officer working with Maharashtra State Human Rights Commission (MSHRC) has complained to the chairman of the commission alleging that Bhagwant More, a member of the commission, had caused her immense mental harassment by 'boycotting' her. The complainant, Dr Jayashri Patil, said she still awaits justice.

    In her complaint letter to the chairman of the commission (dna has a copy), Justice SR Bannurmath, Patil has alleged that More, former additional director general of police, had caused her immense mental harassment by insulting her and 'boycotting' her. According to her, this kind of treatment was meted to her because she belongs to the Dalit community. Patil has been working with the commission since 2007.

    "Since I am a Dalit, More has humiliated me, which amounts to immense mental torture. Recently, I had gone to meet the chairman in his cabin to discuss a suo motu case, where More was present. More asked the constable to tell me to leave the room," the letter read.

    The letter also mentioned that whenever Patil had approached More for some work, she was asked by his peon to wait outside. In fact, More never met her ever since he joined the commission. "I have received high education and have been performing my duty as a research officer with due diligence," the letter stated and it requested the chairman to take adequate action in this regard.

    It further requested More not to put pressure on Patil and stop the boycott on her. "I am still waiting for a reply from the commission," Patil said. When dna contacted More, he said he is not aware of the details of the complaints. "I am yet to see the complaint. Only after that will I be in a position to comment on this," he said.

    The New Indian Express

    Villages Lack Graveyards for SC/STs

    Of the 630 revenue villages in the district, 620 have no graveyards for the SC/ST communities, according to official records.

    There are 151 revenue villages in Koppal taluk, 158 in Gangavati taluk, 144 in Yelburga taluk and 177 in Kushtagi taluk.

    Of these, 196 villages have no graveyards for any community. Ironically, government land to the extent of 465 acres in Koppal taluk, 1,427 acres in Gangavati taluk, 84 acres in Kushtagi taluk and 198 acres in Yelburga taluk continues to be encroached.

    When asked what could be the way out in case of deaths in villages without graveyards, official sources said the body has to be buried in the available land on the banks of tanks.

    There have been instances of people trudging long distances to bury bodies, sources noted.

    The SC/ST community is finding it very difficult with no graveyards. Additional Deputy Commissioner Suresh Itnal told Express that all the four tahsildars have been directed to identify land and submit proposals for graveyards wherever unavailable.

    Though government land has been encroached, the same may not be suitable for graveyards as it is away from villages.

    The Pioneer

    Speakers and many Dalit leaders on Saturday while participating in a State-level roundtable hailed the outgoing UPA-II Government’s promulgation of SC and ST Prevention of Atrocity Act Amendment Ordinance-2014 on March 4 this year and urged all the stakeholders to make it a Bill as it has lots of provision to provide justice to Dalit people.

    While discussing various aspects of the ordinance former Director General of Police Manmohan Praharaj said, “The ordinance has lots of provision to ensure justice to the SC and ST victims. But it is important to ensure in making it a Bill by passing it the Parliament within six months of the promulgation of the ordinance.”Being organsied by Dalit Adhikar Sangathan, the round table stressed on setting up of special courts to deal the cases of SC and ST people and complete the hearing within two months and punishment for neglect of duties of officials.

    “The State Government has announced to open two special courts for SC and ST people but it is yet to be materialised. We urged the Government to open at least six special courts in Puri, Cuttack, Balangir and Baleswar districts and other Dalit atrocity prone areas to deal their cases as per the provision,” said Sangathan State coordinator Jugal Kishore Ranjit.

    Many social workers, Dalit organisation representatives participated in the event and shared their views.

    News Monitor by Girish Pant