      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      From: dk.dilipkumar@...
      Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:15:33 +0000
      Subject: Re: [Arkitect India] Politics of Education

      Education is the backbone of any democratic nation and it is the teacher and not the politicians who will have to bear the responsibility of imparting quality education to our growing children. While doing so the teachers must take pride in their profession and dedicate to this one of the most important social cause. Government must provide necessary infrastructure facilities and respectable salary with due social respect and position as per our traditional culture and values.

      Unfortunately for our neo rulers or so called leaders or public representatives have other priorities. They show highest level of agreement and give priority for raising their own salary, pension, perks and privileges multifold and within no time. They will continue frustrating the democracy so long they keep the people ignored, uneducated and divided to ensure they are in power and they have established their sons and daughters as their successors.

      It is the general public and especially those who are educated, aware and preserve sense of social responsibility who will have to fight for better education system.

      Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

      Dilip Kumar
      Rural Livelihood / Small-scale Aquaculture and Fisheries Development Adviser
      C-9 / 9698, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070, India
      Tel / Fax- + (91) 11-26899185;
      Mob: +(91) 9560455702
      E mail- dk.dilipkumar@...

      From: rajagopalan ss <ssrajagopalan@...>
      Sender: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:47:01 +0530
      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com<arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com

      What a nation of 'unequals' we are!. Teachers' salary irritates but not the crores paid to Ambanis and co. Should there be not an income ceiling?  We must be more concerned with how to make the Public School System functions efficiently. Every Indian is a taxpayer and as such owner of every public body. Why don't our people know their right to take care of the schools run with their money? If people agitate for better infrastructure, more teachers, better student amenities etc., in the Public SChools, Govt will take action. MGNRGE is an example.

      To: arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com
      From: pjain2002@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:01:00 -0700

      Dear All,
      1. What is being demanded is not scaling back of teachers' salary, as that is no politically feasible, even if desirable. What is being demanded/ suggested is that out of education spend, a minimum of 5% is spent on school maintenance, 5% on children's books, 5% on children's transport, 5% of administration-management, 5% educational tours for learning outside the classes, 5% on better furniture and better school facilities used by children etc.
      2. The old argument that Rs. 100 is being spent, instead of desirable amount of Rs. 250, was correct in 1980s, but IS NO MORE correct for elementary education. In fact, if the World, on average, is spending Rs. 250/- per child on elementary education, India is spending Rs. 300/-. So, spending more, which was probably right in 1980s, and 1990s, is no more the right thing, and only correct thing is to spend this Rs. 300/- proportionally on ALL NEEDED things for effective education. Unfortunately, this is against the political empowerment of 'teachers as a class', so it will not happen. The hard reality of political alignment in India pitches children's class interest against the class-interest of teachers, so the powerless children class is bound to suffer. (This is a neo-left-liberal reality? :( sad)
      3. Dividing average teacher salary in India by nation's per capita income is not neo-liberal arithmatic. It is simple arithmatic, period.
      4. It is totally elitist, and politically partisan, to suggest there is something 'absolute' minimum that must be spent on education, or paid as teacher salary, irrespective of per capita. Just for clarity, China and Singapore have achieved much better school education for ALL their children with much less spending than India. Bangladesh has gone ahead of India in ensuring schooling for poor-girls by spending much less than India, even by the standards of poor countries low per capita.
      5. We indeed need to get out of slogeneering mode to analyze what was done by China, Singapore and Bangladesh to take education to ALL their children, including poor and girls, and come to sesnsible solutions and nonpartisan slogans-policies.
      6. Demanding to pay certain salary to a section of population, which is 700% of worldwide norm, can not be justified under any interpretation of fundamental rights, if it takes the fudamental right of a child to receive effective education, which requires spending a minimum of 5% on school maintenance, 5% on children's books, 5% on children's transport, 5% of administration-management, 5% educational tours for learning outside the classes, 5% on better furniture and better school facilities used by children etc.
      From: pjain2002@...
      Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:30:58 -0700

      The example you gave is very encouraging, but the real important decions like (i) how many and which teachers to hire (that costs 80-85% of total money spent on children's education in children's name), (ii) should teacher salary budget be not allowed to go beyound 70% of total spending, so that a minimum of 5% is spent on school maintenance, 5% on children's books, 5% on children's transport, 5% of administration-management, 5% educational tours for learning outside the classes, 5% on better furniture and better school facilities used by children etc., (iii) is B.Ed. qualification better compared to M.Sc. for a science-math teacher, (iv) should children have freedom to change school if they find their current school bad, (iv) what all should be the curriculum coverage, CAN NOT BE LEFT to the assembly of children.
      We need to find some way to make the above critical decisions of 'adult decision makers' be informed by the 'interest of children', and not of various politically inclined adult-groups. Otherwise, 95% of school experience will be governed by politics, and only 1-2% will be cosmetically improved through children's autonomous will.

      From: pjain2002@...
      Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:01:15 -0700
      Subject: [Arkitect India] Politics of Education

      School Education is probably the largest and most active political field of action, comparable to the politics of poverty removal or of economic growth or any other.
      Let us understand key facts and key actors involved in school education:
      1. It covers voiceless and powerless 220 million school age children, (more than entire tribal or entire SC, or entire minority population), who are easy to both ignore and exploit by various categories of powerful adults.
      2. It  covers India's largest organized labour force, consisting of more than  3 million school teachers, whose strength is bigger than of all trade-labour unions combined, which no political party can antagonize.
      3. It involves annual spending of more than Rs. 1 lakh twenty five thousand crores, (2.3% of GDP) every year.
      4. Control of School education is seen as critical by all kind of politics, whether it is extreme left like Naxals, Religious fundamentalists like Taliban, secular ideologues like many writers on this forum, or rightist.
      Such large numbers and political comittments necessarily means that political interest will try to exploit and capture school education policy for their own benefits.
      Since analysis or fact based policies are tough to promote in popular discourse, education policy has been captured by slogan shouting groups and politically inclined individuals-forums.
      I  may sound cynical, but it is necessary to face facts if one wants to support facts based rational, non-political, analysis.
      I, therefore, would urge all of us to re-examine how much of our views are colored by our politics and that applies even to the views in this mail-string.
      From: Koraput district scst primary Teachers empoyees welfare associ <kdssptewa@...>
      Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:01:21 +0800 (SGT)
      To: agamiorissa@yahoogroups.com<agamiorissa@yahoogroups.com>; arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com<arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com>; chhattishgarh-net@yahoogroups.com<chhattishgarh-net@yahoogroups.com>; chennai@yahoogroups.com<chennai@yahoogroups.com>; educationrights@yahoogroups.com<educationrights@yahoogroups.com>; focusorissa@yahoogroups.com<focusorissa@yahoogroups.com>; ihro@yahoogroups.com<ihro@yahoogroups.com>; indiafirst@yahoogroups.com<indiafirst@yahoogroups.com>; indiathinkernet@yahoogroups.com<indiathinkernet@yahoogroups.com>; inviteplus@yahoogroups.com<inviteplus@yahoogroups.com>; issuesonline_worldwide@yahoogroups.com<issuesonline_worldwide@yahoogroups.com>; janshakti@yahoogroups.com<janshakti@yahoogroups.com>; mahajanapada@yahoogroups.com<mahajanapada@yahoogroups.com>; osanet@yahoogroups.com<osanet@yahoogroups.com>; samukhya@yahoogroups.com<samukhya@yahoogroups.com>

      Education is the principal instrument of developing human capabilities. In India it is in the concurrent list. It is the main part of the government to provide education to its citizens. By which it will help to shape the destiny of the nation.
      But in recent times there is a sea change in the tools, technology and mode of education. In the post-independence era, the mode & method of education has continually evolved in Orissa and India. In the modern times to cater the needs of specific groups the need for differentiation in education method has also changed in Orissa. After independence Orissa is improving & competing with other states of India to become a prosperous state in the field of education.

      The literacy percentage of Orissa is improving highly. Now it has a number of Universities, General colleges, Medical, Engineering , Management, Ayurvedic, Homeopathic, Law, Dance & Music Colleges, B.E.D training Centers, C.T. and Hindi training Centers. Due to the high standard of education in Orissa Students from all over India are coming to Orissa for higher studies. With the increase of public-private participation, now the students of Orissa enjoying most modern facilities in education. With the change of time educational institutions like Xavier Institute of Business Management, Institute of Physics, Utkal Univrsity, National Institute of Technology-Rourkela, Biju Pattnaik University of Technology, IIMC-Dhenkanal, Kalinga Institute of Technology, S C B Medical College, Cuttack, V S S Medical College & Hospital, Burla  and so on dazzles Orissa’s name nationally and internationally in the filed of education.
      Orissa has always made concerted efforts to provide quality education to all. Prospects of a brighter future is evidently in the offing in view of certain major initiatives of the Government of Orissa, the Government of India and private parties.

      Fact of Orissa Education

      • The average literacy rate in Orissa is 63.08% during 2001, as against all India average of 64.8%.

      • Male literacy rate is 75.95% and female literacy rate is 50.51% during 2001.
      • 44,416 Primary Schools with 52.54 lakh enrolment and 97 lakh teachers in the State as on 2003-2004. There is one Primary School  for every 3.5 Sq.Km area.
      • Mid day Meal Programme has been operational since 1995. In 2003-04, 46.32 lakh children in 51,931 schools were brought under this scheme.
      • 14.233 Upper Primary Schools as on 2003-04. There is one Upper Primary School for each 10.94 km area in the State.
      • Overall dropout rate at the primary stage was 33.6%, the dropout rate for girls was 35.4% and for boys 31.9% during 2003-04.
      • Dropout rate at upper primary stage has decreased from 59% in 2002-03 & 57.5% in 2003-04. 56.5% boys dropped out inupper primary stage in 2003-04 while 58.6% girls dropped out in the same year.
      • Secondary stage of education from Classes VIII to X is under the academic control of the Board of Secondary Education. During 2003-04, 7,011 high schools were functioning in the State which 3,556 were Government High Schools and 657 were aided schools. During 2003-04, there was one High School for every 22.2 sq. km.
      • The dropout rate in high school has decreased from 69.5% in 2001-02 to 64.4% in 2003-04. 62.5% boys dropped out while 66.7% girls dropped out of high school in 2003-2004.
      • 1,112 General Colleges to provide facilities for higher secondary education in the State including 48 Government Colleges. The Council of Higher Secondary Education regulates higher secondary education, conducts examination and co-ordinate University Education.
      • During 2003-2004, 1,679 General Colleges were functioning, out of which 96 were Government and 601 were aided colleges.
      • There are 4 Government Training Colleges, six Colleges of Teachers Education and three Institutes of Advanced Study in Education, in the State.
      • The State has nine Universities.
      • Computer Education has been included as on optional subject in the secondary level by the Board of Secondary Education

      Satish Jha
      T: 301 841 7422
      F: 301 560 4909

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic