Re: Attn: AZ Porcs

  • Matt Cheselka
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 9:02 PM
      > I'm pretty neutral as to which state will be chosen, although I have
      > opted-out of Alaska and N. Dakota, although if either were chosen, I
      > would probably reconsider.

      Here's another issue that I've struggled with since the beginning. If
      we assume that we're all very strong individualists (I certainly
      consider myself one), how can we accept the decision of a collective
      majority to choose where were live? I do this in the following way:

      I think about what I want. Well, I want to be free and I want to be
      left alone. Can I do this myself? Well, not really. In the current
      system, there's always some kind of bother (both government in terms
      of silly laws and regulations, and neighbors in terms of telling me
      what color my house is suppose to be, what animals I keep, what I do
      with my propery, etc.). However, if I could surround myself with
      like-minded people (we all want to be left alone), then I'd be in a
      great situation. So if I can figure out a way to accomplish this, I'm
      gonna do it. So I actually don't see it as giving in the collective
      majority, but rather finding a location on this planet where I can do
      what I want and know I won't be bothered unless I'm being in some way
      violent to my neighbors.

      > I'd be interested in a local convention to meet other members. I
      > think it would be a great support mechanism for when the time the
      > move does come.

      Well, this is what Rick is working on. I'm leaving it up to him and
      any of you to organize this, but I'll offer any kind of support I can
      in terms of logistics, phone calls, setting up a web page on the FSP
      server, etc. I suggested to Rick that we might have two meetings.
      One for "northerners" (Phoenix and above) and one for "southerners"
      (below Phoenix). The two groups would of course be invited to each
      other's, of course. I'm suggesting this mainly for selfish reasons
      becuase I'd have a hard time getting up to Phoenix in terms of time
      (it's a 3 hour drive from where I am one-way -- that's 6 hours of
      driving for a 1-2 event!!). I'm trying to grow a start-up company and
      with all new babies this one needs 15000% of my attention for the
      forseeable future. Anyhow, just an idea to consider.

      G'night,

      Matt
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 10:17 PM
        Mr. Marshall,

        Thank you for your response.

        No-one ever proposed a special "list" of attendees for the AZ event, and
        none is being kept except on my own Microsoft Outlook contact list. I
        comply with the FSP's policy of complete privacy when it comes to
        contacting and sharing information about the membership.

        As I would like this to be planned and operated as a somewhat
        professional event, I simply cannot make a post to a few dozen lists and
        hope that people show up. Also, I'd rather not flood the current lists
        with posts concerning this event which people (as in the case of this
        list) from NM, UT, and CO could really give a hoot about. On the other
        hand, those who are inclined to just "show up" will be more than welcome
        should they choose to do so.

        In the interest of planning, those who wish to attend in an official
        capacity can contact me directly at either rick@... or at
        (520)903-0500. You confidentiality is assured.

        Mr. Cheselka has already suggested two meetings, one for Northern AZ,
        and one for Southern AZ.

        This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
        responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate events an
        impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since I'm in Tucson
        I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the Phoenix area would like
        to aid in this effort by volunteering to work with me on making this a
        joint North/South statewide event at separate locations, please step up.

        If not, I offer Matt and two others from southern AZ a ride. ;)

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 9:51 AM
          I'd like to get together with my fellow Porcupines.
          Any time before the 21st of June is fine, I'll be
          travelling after that.

          John

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • maywood2008
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5 4:36 PM
            --- In fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Rick LaPoint"
            <rick@o...> wrote:

            > This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
            > responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate
            > events an impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since
            > I'm in Tucson I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the
            > Phoenix area would like to aid in this effort by volunteering to
            > work with me on making this a joint North/South statewide event at
            > separate locations, please step up.

            If there is anything I've learned since moving to Arizona, it is that
            people in northern Arizona do not want to be blended in with
            Phoenix :-)

            I am spread out pretty thin with LP stuff to volunteer. However, the
            Pima County LP meetings are open to any FSP members who want to make
            a short presentation and pitch. I made the offer to Matt a few months
            ago, but anyone else is welcome to accept it as well.

            I also recommend going to the local objectivist groups. I gave
            Elizabeth the contact info she needed to go to the Boston Objectivist
            meeting a few months back and she was a big hit with them. I know a
            lot of O'ists in Tucson & Phoenix are interested in FSP and
            presentations should be made to these groups as well.

            I'm self-employed and my wife is a hospital worker so we're pretty
            flexible as to where we move. But I have always had a soft place in
            my heart for New Hampshire, and I will probably refuse to move
            anyplace but northern New England. North Dakota is OUT. Delaware is
            OUT.

            David Euchner
            Chairman, Pima County Libertarian Party
            Assistant Treasurer, Arizona Libertarian Party