Re: Attn: AZ Porcs

  • Jessica Stealey
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2003
      --- In fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Cheselka"
      <cheselka@m...> wrote:
      > Thanks, Rick, for posting this. The past coupla days got away from
      me
      > but rest assured your note will go out tomorrow or Monday to all
      those
      > AZers who said we could contact them.
      >
      > One subject I don't hear a lot about is the subject of moving.
      Since
      > we're in AZ, we will obviously have to move.

      Personally, I think about this aspect of the project the most. I
      love living in AZ, and am not particularly fond of the idea of moving
      right now. I think we will wait and move sometime after the vote,
      and probably closer to the 5 year deadline. My husband is self-
      employed, and I am a hospital worker, so we both could pretty much
      live anywhere we choose within whatever state is chosen, so that
      would definitely ease the burden of moving on us.

      We would almost certainly buy property, and are even entertaining the
      idea of dual residences so that we could keep property here as well.
      I have even entertained the idea of being a part-time agency worker
      in both states.

      I'm pretty neutral as to which state will be chosen, although I have
      opted-out of Alaska and N. Dakota, although if either were chosen, I
      would probably reconsider.

      I'd be interested in a local convention to meet other members. I
      think it would be a great support mechanism for when the time to move
      does come.
    • Matt Cheselka
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2003
        > I'm pretty neutral as to which state will be chosen, although I have
        > opted-out of Alaska and N. Dakota, although if either were chosen, I
        > would probably reconsider.

        Here's another issue that I've struggled with since the beginning. If
        we assume that we're all very strong individualists (I certainly
        consider myself one), how can we accept the decision of a collective
        majority to choose where were live? I do this in the following way:

        I think about what I want. Well, I want to be free and I want to be
        left alone. Can I do this myself? Well, not really. In the current
        system, there's always some kind of bother (both government in terms
        of silly laws and regulations, and neighbors in terms of telling me
        what color my house is suppose to be, what animals I keep, what I do
        with my propery, etc.). However, if I could surround myself with
        like-minded people (we all want to be left alone), then I'd be in a
        great situation. So if I can figure out a way to accomplish this, I'm
        gonna do it. So I actually don't see it as giving in the collective
        majority, but rather finding a location on this planet where I can do
        what I want and know I won't be bothered unless I'm being in some way
        violent to my neighbors.

        > I'd be interested in a local convention to meet other members. I
        > think it would be a great support mechanism for when the time the
        > move does come.

        Well, this is what Rick is working on. I'm leaving it up to him and
        any of you to organize this, but I'll offer any kind of support I can
        in terms of logistics, phone calls, setting up a web page on the FSP
        server, etc. I suggested to Rick that we might have two meetings.
        One for "northerners" (Phoenix and above) and one for "southerners"
        (below Phoenix). The two groups would of course be invited to each
        other's, of course. I'm suggesting this mainly for selfish reasons
        becuase I'd have a hard time getting up to Phoenix in terms of time
        (it's a 3 hour drive from where I am one-way -- that's 6 hours of
        driving for a 1-2 event!!). I'm trying to grow a start-up company and
        with all new babies this one needs 15000% of my attention for the
        forseeable future. Anyhow, just an idea to consider.

        G'night,

        Matt
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2003
          Mr. Marshall,

          Thank you for your response.

          No-one ever proposed a special "list" of attendees for the AZ event, and
          none is being kept except on my own Microsoft Outlook contact list. I
          comply with the FSP's policy of complete privacy when it comes to
          contacting and sharing information about the membership.

          As I would like this to be planned and operated as a somewhat
          professional event, I simply cannot make a post to a few dozen lists and
          hope that people show up. Also, I'd rather not flood the current lists
          with posts concerning this event which people (as in the case of this
          list) from NM, UT, and CO could really give a hoot about. On the other
          hand, those who are inclined to just "show up" will be more than welcome
          should they choose to do so.

          In the interest of planning, those who wish to attend in an official
          capacity can contact me directly at either rick@... or at
          (520)903-0500. You confidentiality is assured.

          Mr. Cheselka has already suggested two meetings, one for Northern AZ,
          and one for Southern AZ.

          This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
          responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate events an
          impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since I'm in Tucson
          I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the Phoenix area would like
          to aid in this effort by volunteering to work with me on making this a
          joint North/South statewide event at separate locations, please step up.

          If not, I offer Matt and two others from southern AZ a ride. ;)

          Regards,

          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            I'd like to get together with my fellow Porcupines.
            Any time before the 21st of June is fine, I'll be
            travelling after that.

            John

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • maywood2008
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2003
              --- In fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Rick LaPoint"
              <rick@o...> wrote:

              > This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
              > responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate
              > events an impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since
              > I'm in Tucson I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the
              > Phoenix area would like to aid in this effort by volunteering to
              > work with me on making this a joint North/South statewide event at
              > separate locations, please step up.

              If there is anything I've learned since moving to Arizona, it is that
              people in northern Arizona do not want to be blended in with
              Phoenix :-)

              I am spread out pretty thin with LP stuff to volunteer. However, the
              Pima County LP meetings are open to any FSP members who want to make
              a short presentation and pitch. I made the offer to Matt a few months
              ago, but anyone else is welcome to accept it as well.

              I also recommend going to the local objectivist groups. I gave
              Elizabeth the contact info she needed to go to the Boston Objectivist
              meeting a few months back and she was a big hit with them. I know a
              lot of O'ists in Tucson & Phoenix are interested in FSP and
              presentations should be made to these groups as well.

              I'm self-employed and my wife is a hospital worker so we're pretty
              flexible as to where we move. But I have always had a soft place in
              my heart for New Hampshire, and I will probably refuse to move
              anyplace but northern New England. North Dakota is OUT. Delaware is
              OUT.

              David Euchner
              Chairman, Pima County Libertarian Party
              Assistant Treasurer, Arizona Libertarian Party