Re: [fourcornersporcupines] Is there anyone out there?

  • Craig Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2003
      On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Rick LaPoint wrote:

      > I only recently joined... seems slow since I've been here though.
      >
      > Let's hear some chatter out there! (but not revert to some of the
      > counter-productive name-calling which has become the norm in the
      > fspcrackerbarrel group)
      >
      > I live in Tucson, AZ. I moved here about a year and a half ago from NH,
      > where I had spent the previous 20 years.

      I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm not yet a member, because I want
      to see what state gets selected before I join. I'm partial to about
      three or four of them, New Hampshire, Wyoming, North Dakota, and
      Delaware.

      The group has been pretty slow though. I've been on the list for about
      two months and have seen but about 10 messages the whole time.

      Something a friend of mine and I were arguing about the other was the
      legalization of drugs. I've argued that it makes a lot of sense from
      the standpoints of economics and Liberty. Over 50% of the prison
      population is there for drug-related offenses. We spend a lot of money
      on law enforcement too. The DEA, FBI, CIA, US Marshals, State Police
      and Local Police are heavily active in drug enforcement. The "drug war"
      also has an adverse effect on property rights and freedom in general.
      The Cato Institute has published some very good arguments against the
      drug war that are worth reading.

      I don't think the legalization of drugs should be an endorsement to do
      them though. Society should still send an anti-drug message, but also
      say it is up to the individual to make the decision to do them or not.
      The problem with this is that drug abuse can be a drain on society and
      so I don't know if by legalizing drugs it would become rampant. I know
      simple decriminalization would put us in the worst of both worlds. We
      either have to legalize and somewhat regulate or keep them illegal.
      What do you think?

      -Craig.

      > rick

      <image.tiff>