Re: Attn: AZ Porcs

  • Matt Cheselka
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2003
      Thanks, Rick, for posting this. The past coupla days got away from me
      but rest assured your note will go out tomorrow or Monday to all those
      AZers who said we could contact them.

      One subject I don't hear a lot about is the subject of moving. Since
      we're in AZ, we will obviously have to move. I personally don't care
      where we end up (of course I have my preferences, but as a board
      member I keep them private), as long as we can make it Free. But I'd
      like to hear from you all about your plans on making the actual move.
      How are you going to go about doing it? When will you do it -- right
      after the vote (probably going to occur in the fall), once we've
      reached 20,000, or within the 5 year time limit? I'd also like to
      hear about the mechanisms by which you'll make the move. Will you
      find a job first and then move? If you're married, will one of you
      move first to make all the necessary preparations? Will you buy
      acreage, or a house, or rent?

      Just a reminder also to keep up with the latest news on our website:

      http://www.freestateproject.org

      Also, feel free to participate in our Forum:

      http://forum.freestateproject.org

      and our Yahoo discussion group:

      Talk to you all later,

      Matt
    • Wayne Baimbridge
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2003
        Rick:

        At this writing, I can honestly say that I haven't given much thought to the actual move. Naturally it will depend on what state winds up being the FS target. Once a state has been selected, I intend to educate myself on the demographics of various cities to explore the place in that state best suited for my particular concerns. Hopefully by the time the move takes place, my presence at the office (I'm one of the owners) will not be required full time, and I will be in a position to move without the worry of needing to generate an income to sustain myself. My house will be paid off by then, I have all the equity in it and a reasonable nest egg and seed money put away for investment and or a startup of some kind. Assuming that property in the chosen state is relatively cheaper than here in California, I should be able to purchase property from proceeds of my house sale.

        I am developing a multi-media division of my business, and because global communications are what they are, it is quite possible that by the time the move takes place, I will be able to do that work anywhere in the country and only have to visit clients rarely, (and at their expense). Communicating via conference calls and streaming video media will most likely be the method of contact at that time. In any case, work isn't as big a concern to me as it might be for others.

        As far as planning the actual move goes. My kids are out of the house, and should be either out (or nearly out) of college by the time the move actually takes place. While my wife hasn't voiced an objection to a move, I've learned after 19 years that could change on the day I turn the key to the ignition to pull out of the driveway. So, assuming she doesn't panic in the final moments I presume she will take a leading role in organizing our move. At this point it's so new, she's not really giving it much thought, but I'm talking about it regularly so she knows it's not a passing fancy of mine. Of course, if she gets cold feet, I will not leave her behind, ;-)

        I'll be happy to post more thoughts on the subject and detail actual planning activities as time goes on.

        Best regards,

        Wayne Baimbridge
        wayne@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2003
          Being from New Hampshire, I chose only the Eastern States when signing
          up for the FSP. I guess that leaves me at an advantage, as I have a
          pretty good grasp on the geography back there. I can only speak for my
          own situation, but I am in a position to leave any time I wish.

          I am also in a position to move my personal business any time I wish.
          I'll hold out until I secure a position with a stable income before
          moving though.

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Craig Wright
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2003
            On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 09:39 PM, Matt Cheselka wrote:

            > Thanks, Rick, for posting this.  The past coupla days got away from me
            > but rest assured your note will go out tomorrow or Monday to all those
            > AZers who said we could contact them.
            >
            > One subject I don't hear a lot about is the subject of moving.  Since
            > we're in AZ, we will obviously have to move.  I personally don't care
            > where we end up (of course I have my preferences, but as a board
            > member I keep them private), as long as we can make it Free.  But I'd
            > like to hear from you all about your plans on making the actual move.
            > How are you going to go about doing it?  When will you do it -- right
            > after the vote (probably going to occur in the fall), once we've
            > reached 20,000, or within the 5 year time limit?  I'd also like to
            > hear about the mechanisms by which you'll make the move.  Will you
            > find a job first and then move?  If you're married, will one of you
            > move first to make all the necessary preparations?  Will you buy
            > acreage, or a house, or rent?

            It's likely if I move (I haven't joined yet) that it'll be before the
            20,000 mark, but not immediately after the vote. My girlfriend has two
            years of school left to get her nursing degree. Before moving I would
            probably like to see one of us with a job. I'm a Computer Scientist so
            it is likely that I'll have to be employed in an urban area.

            I would like to see her employed and try to start a business of my own
            when we get there, possibly as a consultant or a martial arts
            instructor. It would be likely that we would rent at first to make sure
            we like the place and to get used to the surroundings and understand
            the real estate market. After that we'd probably look into buying a
            house in an small urban or semi-urban area and maybe some rural
            property as well.

            I'm really hoping for New Hampshire for a variety of reasons. I think
            that if the project is successful it'll be very important to have
            access to the sea. That said, between Delaware, Alaska, and New
            Hampshire our chances are probably best in New Hampshire given its
            large state legislature and culture of Liberty. It is possible Wyoming
            or some of the western states would work too, but the economies are
            small and the land is vast, which makes it harder to communicate with
            people directly. Land-locked states in my opinion don't bode well if
            the project is successful because of the limitations they impose on
            trade and the difficultly in creating a vibrant economy in them.

            That's my two cents. :)

            -Craig.

            > Just a reminder also to keep up with the latest news on our website:
            >
            > http://www.freestateproject.org
            >
            > Also, feel free to participate in our Forum:
            >
            > http://forum.freestateproject.org
            >
            > and our Yahoo discussion group:

            > Talk to you all later,
            >
            > Matt

            <image.tiff>

          • Jessica Stealey
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2003
              --- In fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Cheselka"
              <cheselka@m...> wrote:
              > Thanks, Rick, for posting this. The past coupla days got away from
              me
              > but rest assured your note will go out tomorrow or Monday to all
              those
              > AZers who said we could contact them.
              >
              > One subject I don't hear a lot about is the subject of moving.
              Since
              > we're in AZ, we will obviously have to move.

              Personally, I think about this aspect of the project the most. I
              love living in AZ, and am not particularly fond of the idea of moving
              right now. I think we will wait and move sometime after the vote,
              and probably closer to the 5 year deadline. My husband is self-
              employed, and I am a hospital worker, so we both could pretty much
              live anywhere we choose within whatever state is chosen, so that
              would definitely ease the burden of moving on us.

              We would almost certainly buy property, and are even entertaining the
              idea of dual residences so that we could keep property here as well.
              I have even entertained the idea of being a part-time agency worker
              in both states.

              I'm pretty neutral as to which state will be chosen, although I have
              opted-out of Alaska and N. Dakota, although if either were chosen, I
              would probably reconsider.

              I'd be interested in a local convention to meet other members. I
              think it would be a great support mechanism for when the time to move
              does come.
            • Matt Cheselka
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2003
                > I'm pretty neutral as to which state will be chosen, although I have
                > opted-out of Alaska and N. Dakota, although if either were chosen, I
                > would probably reconsider.

                Here's another issue that I've struggled with since the beginning. If
                we assume that we're all very strong individualists (I certainly
                consider myself one), how can we accept the decision of a collective
                majority to choose where were live? I do this in the following way:

                I think about what I want. Well, I want to be free and I want to be
                left alone. Can I do this myself? Well, not really. In the current
                system, there's always some kind of bother (both government in terms
                of silly laws and regulations, and neighbors in terms of telling me
                what color my house is suppose to be, what animals I keep, what I do
                with my propery, etc.). However, if I could surround myself with
                like-minded people (we all want to be left alone), then I'd be in a
                great situation. So if I can figure out a way to accomplish this, I'm
                gonna do it. So I actually don't see it as giving in the collective
                majority, but rather finding a location on this planet where I can do
                what I want and know I won't be bothered unless I'm being in some way
                violent to my neighbors.

                > I'd be interested in a local convention to meet other members. I
                > think it would be a great support mechanism for when the time the
                > move does come.

                Well, this is what Rick is working on. I'm leaving it up to him and
                any of you to organize this, but I'll offer any kind of support I can
                in terms of logistics, phone calls, setting up a web page on the FSP
                server, etc. I suggested to Rick that we might have two meetings.
                One for "northerners" (Phoenix and above) and one for "southerners"
                (below Phoenix). The two groups would of course be invited to each
                other's, of course. I'm suggesting this mainly for selfish reasons
                becuase I'd have a hard time getting up to Phoenix in terms of time
                (it's a 3 hour drive from where I am one-way -- that's 6 hours of
                driving for a 1-2 event!!). I'm trying to grow a start-up company and
                with all new babies this one needs 15000% of my attention for the
                forseeable future. Anyhow, just an idea to consider.

                G'night,

                Matt
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2003
                  Mr. Marshall,

                  Thank you for your response.

                  No-one ever proposed a special "list" of attendees for the AZ event, and
                  none is being kept except on my own Microsoft Outlook contact list. I
                  comply with the FSP's policy of complete privacy when it comes to
                  contacting and sharing information about the membership.

                  As I would like this to be planned and operated as a somewhat
                  professional event, I simply cannot make a post to a few dozen lists and
                  hope that people show up. Also, I'd rather not flood the current lists
                  with posts concerning this event which people (as in the case of this
                  list) from NM, UT, and CO could really give a hoot about. On the other
                  hand, those who are inclined to just "show up" will be more than welcome
                  should they choose to do so.

                  In the interest of planning, those who wish to attend in an official
                  capacity can contact me directly at either rick@... or at
                  (520)903-0500. You confidentiality is assured.

                  Mr. Cheselka has already suggested two meetings, one for Northern AZ,
                  and one for Southern AZ.

                  This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
                  responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate events an
                  impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since I'm in Tucson
                  I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the Phoenix area would like
                  to aid in this effort by volunteering to work with me on making this a
                  joint North/South statewide event at separate locations, please step up.

                  If not, I offer Matt and two others from southern AZ a ride. ;)

                  Regards,

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                    I'd like to get together with my fellow Porcupines.
                    Any time before the 21st of June is fine, I'll be
                    travelling after that.

                    John

                    http://search.yahoo.com
                  • maywood2008
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                      --- In fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Rick LaPoint"
                      <rick@o...> wrote:

                      > This may well be the best solution, but like Matt I have other
                      > responsibilities which will make organizing two such separate
                      > events an impossibility. I'm committed to organizing one, and since
                      > I'm in Tucson I'll take the Southern one. If someone from the
                      > Phoenix area would like to aid in this effort by volunteering to
                      > work with me on making this a joint North/South statewide event at
                      > separate locations, please step up.

                      If there is anything I've learned since moving to Arizona, it is that
                      people in northern Arizona do not want to be blended in with
                      Phoenix :-)

                      I am spread out pretty thin with LP stuff to volunteer. However, the
                      Pima County LP meetings are open to any FSP members who want to make
                      a short presentation and pitch. I made the offer to Matt a few months
                      ago, but anyone else is welcome to accept it as well.

                      I also recommend going to the local objectivist groups. I gave
                      Elizabeth the contact info she needed to go to the Boston Objectivist
                      meeting a few months back and she was a big hit with them. I know a
                      lot of O'ists in Tucson & Phoenix are interested in FSP and
                      presentations should be made to these groups as well.

                      I'm self-employed and my wife is a hospital worker so we're pretty
                      flexible as to where we move. But I have always had a soft place in
                      my heart for New Hampshire, and I will probably refuse to move
                      anyplace but northern New England. North Dakota is OUT. Delaware is
                      OUT.

                      David Euchner
                      Chairman, Pima County Libertarian Party
                      Assistant Treasurer, Arizona Libertarian Party