Re: [fourcornersporcupines] Is there anyone out there?

  • Wayne Baimbridge
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2003
      Hello Rick:

      Although, I haven't been a part of the FSP long, I get the impression that the Libertarian Party efforts to become a legitimate voice in the political landscape is going to be as froth with internal squabbling as any other political party.

      Still, if we adhere to the concepts Harry Brown has so eloquently and clearly articulated over the years, as well as pursue a successful outcome to the FCP, it is possible that our small voice will be heard.

      How's that for productive chatter?

      Cheers,

      Wayne Baimbridge
      wayne@...

      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2003
        Hi Wayne,

        Yes, like any political endeavor that is the case. I myself choose to
        rise above the kind of name-calling I've seen of late though... I'd like
        to think of this as a slightly different political movement, greatly
        improved in all respects.

        But, I just might be an optimist too. ;)

        And this is good, productive chatter.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2003
          On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Rick LaPoint wrote:

          > I only recently joined... seems slow since I've been here though.
          >
          > Let's hear some chatter out there! (but not revert to some of the
          > counter-productive name-calling which has become the norm in the
          > fspcrackerbarrel group)
          >
          > I live in Tucson, AZ. I moved here about a year and a half ago from NH,
          > where I had spent the previous 20 years.

          I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm not yet a member, because I want
          to see what state gets selected before I join. I'm partial to about
          three or four of them, New Hampshire, Wyoming, North Dakota, and
          Delaware.

          The group has been pretty slow though. I've been on the list for about
          two months and have seen but about 10 messages the whole time.

          Something a friend of mine and I were arguing about the other was the
          legalization of drugs. I've argued that it makes a lot of sense from
          the standpoints of economics and Liberty. Over 50% of the prison
          population is there for drug-related offenses. We spend a lot of money
          on law enforcement too. The DEA, FBI, CIA, US Marshals, State Police
          and Local Police are heavily active in drug enforcement. The "drug war"
          also has an adverse effect on property rights and freedom in general.
          The Cato Institute has published some very good arguments against the
          drug war that are worth reading.

          I don't think the legalization of drugs should be an endorsement to do
          them though. Society should still send an anti-drug message, but also
          say it is up to the individual to make the decision to do them or not.
          The problem with this is that drug abuse can be a drain on society and
          so I don't know if by legalizing drugs it would become rampant. I know
          simple decriminalization would put us in the worst of both worlds. We
          either have to legalize and somewhat regulate or keep them illegal.
          What do you think?

          -Craig.

          > rick

          <image.tiff>