RE: [fourcornersporcupines] Is there anyone out there?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2003
      I only recently joined... seems slow since I've been here though.

      Let's hear some chatter out there! (but not revert to some of the
      counter-productive name-calling which has become the norm in the
      fspcrackerbarrel group)

      I live in Tucson, AZ. I moved here about a year and a half ago from NH,
      where I had spent the previous 20 years.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2003
        Hello Rick:

        Although, I haven't been a part of the FSP long, I get the impression that the Libertarian Party efforts to become a legitimate voice in the political landscape is going to be as froth with internal squabbling as any other political party.

        Still, if we adhere to the concepts Harry Brown has so eloquently and clearly articulated over the years, as well as pursue a successful outcome to the FCP, it is possible that our small voice will be heard.

        How's that for productive chatter?

        Cheers,

        Wayne Baimbridge
        wayne@...

        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2003
          Hi Wayne,

          Yes, like any political endeavor that is the case. I myself choose to
          rise above the kind of name-calling I've seen of late though... I'd like
          to think of this as a slightly different political movement, greatly
          improved in all respects.

          But, I just might be an optimist too. ;)

          And this is good, productive chatter.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2003
            On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 07:37 PM, Rick LaPoint wrote:

            > I only recently joined... seems slow since I've been here though.
            >
            > Let's hear some chatter out there! (but not revert to some of the
            > counter-productive name-calling which has become the norm in the
            > fspcrackerbarrel group)
            >
            > I live in Tucson, AZ. I moved here about a year and a half ago from NH,
            > where I had spent the previous 20 years.

            I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm not yet a member, because I want
            to see what state gets selected before I join. I'm partial to about
            three or four of them, New Hampshire, Wyoming, North Dakota, and
            Delaware.

            The group has been pretty slow though. I've been on the list for about
            two months and have seen but about 10 messages the whole time.

            Something a friend of mine and I were arguing about the other was the
            legalization of drugs. I've argued that it makes a lot of sense from
            the standpoints of economics and Liberty. Over 50% of the prison
            population is there for drug-related offenses. We spend a lot of money
            on law enforcement too. The DEA, FBI, CIA, US Marshals, State Police
            and Local Police are heavily active in drug enforcement. The "drug war"
            also has an adverse effect on property rights and freedom in general.
            The Cato Institute has published some very good arguments against the
            drug war that are worth reading.

            I don't think the legalization of drugs should be an endorsement to do
            them though. Society should still send an anti-drug message, but also
            say it is up to the individual to make the decision to do them or not.
            The problem with this is that drug abuse can be a drain on society and
            so I don't know if by legalizing drugs it would become rampant. I know
            simple decriminalization would put us in the worst of both worlds. We
            either have to legalize and somewhat regulate or keep them illegal.
            What do you think?

            -Craig.

            > rick

            <image.tiff>