Announcement: Policy Regarding Opt-Outs

  • Elizabeth McKinstry
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2003
      There has been a great deal of debate lately on the issue of whether those
      who sign up for the Free State Project but opt out of all states but the one
      in which they already live should be considered Members (with the right to
      vote), or just Friends.

      The number of people currently affected by this issue is quite small.� As of
      a few days ago, here are the numbers of people who live in candidate states
      and have opted out of all candidate states but their own:

      Number of Alaskans who opted out of all states except Alaska: 8
      Number of Delawareans " " " " " " " Delaware: 13
      Idaho: 4
      Maine: 2
      Montana: 10
      New Hampshire: 20
      North Dakota: 1
      South Dakota: 0
      Vermont: 2
      Wyoming: 0
      Total: 60=under 2% of total membership

      Though the problem is small in its impact, a number of participants are
      concerned about the potential of "one-state recruiting" for skewing the
      state vote.

      Until now, we have considered people who opted out of all states but their
      own to be FSP Members
      with the right to vote.� However, an examination of the Participation
      Guidelines and Statement of Intent reveals that when one signs up to
      participate in the Free State Project, one agrees to "move" to the state
      chosen by all FSP participants as detailed in the Guidelines.� But those who
      live in a candidate state
      and opt out of all states but their own are not agreeing to "move".

      The counterargument is that those who sign up and opt out of all states but
      their own are still going to be real activists, so that it doesn't matter
      whether they already live there or not.� But we don't really
      know this.� In fact, it seems there is the potential for people to sign up
      as "paper participants", trying to get
      thousands of freedom lovers to move to their state and become active, while
      they themselves have to do nothing.� We're sure that many of those who have
      opted out of all states but their own really are true
      activists for freedom, but maintaining in the future a general policy of
      accepting everyone who opts out of all states but his own presents an
      unreasonable temptation for "Free Staters in name only" to sign up
      and disrupt the state choice process.

      Accordingly, the Board has decided unanimously to go with the precise,
      correct wording of the Statement of Intent and, from now on, count to be FSP
      Members (with the right to vote) *only* those people who love
      freedom enough to actually be willing to cross state lines for it. People
      who sign up and opt out of all states but the one in which they already
      reside will be considered Friends of the FSP.

      However, this decision is not retroactive.� This clarification will become
      effective starting Wednesday, April 16.� Those who signed up before that
      date and have been considered Members even though they've opted out of all
      states but their own (the 60 or so people mentioned above) will remain
      Members with the right to vote.

      Thanks for everyone's feedback and discussion on this matter. We appreciate
      all the time and attention our members give to making sure the Free State
      Project is a success.

      Elizabeth McKinstry
      Do You Want Liberty in Your Lifetime?
      http://www.freestateproject.org