Re: Searching for a New Direction

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 23, 2006
      No, I do not. And I don't know if it would even be worth it to do it
      at my college. It is extremely small. I attend an acupuncture
      college here in AZ, and there are only about a dozen students in each
      of the 3 classes, so we only have around 36 students. Assuming that
      only 1/4 or so of them would be interested in becoming Libertarians,
      or already are Libertarians, I don't know if it is worth starting. It
      is such a small, specialty school, and it is an accelerated program,
      we barely have time for anything but studies.

      I know I don't have time to run a club. However, of the 3 guys in my
      class, ALL 3 of us do have Libertarian beliefs. We may all even be
      registered as Libertarians. I am a registered Lib but I am not sure
      about the other 2 guys.

      I used to attend a much larger community college, which probably would
      have been a better place to start a Libertarian organization. I
      thought about doing it then, but I was taking so many classes so I
      could get into Acupuncture school that I didn't have time to do it
      then either.

      But I agree, the colleges are great places to recruit. Young minds
      are still usually open, and at a young age, many people have an anti-
      establishment mindset, whereas when people get older, they tend to
      lean much more toward the establishment and status quo.

      If I had to guess what the political leanings of most of my classmates
      were, I would say most either probably don't care or are probably
      liberals or independents. Other than me and one other guy, I don't
      think any of my other classmates are politically active at all.

      How hard is it to start a Libertarian college organization? What do
      you have to do? I know 3 of us are Libertarians. Is that enough to
      make it worth it?

      Derek

      --- In arizonaporcupines@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Bensusan"
      <denise.bensusan@f...> wrote:

      > Derek,
      >
      > Do you have an organized activist group at your college???
      >

      > Denise
    • Sandra Price
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 24, 2006
        You are quite right. I do not recommend even signing up with these groups
        if you ever want or need a government clearance.

        Sandy

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 24, 2006
          Sandy,

          Have you been to the FSP site?

          http://www.freestateproject.org/

          It appears to me that the FSP is oriented toward Libertarianism and does support Libertarian candidates. This group is an FSP group....so I am wondering about your position concerning Libertarianism???

          Mo offense intended of course....

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 24, 2006
            Not for a couple of years. What I got involved in was the LP Phoenix group,
            I was told there are two LP groups in Arizona and I was not impressed with
            the one that ran the Arizona primary where Badnarik too the leadership. I
            am interested in getting my freedoms back and would rather not trade them
            for anything. If every member of the LP had voted for their candidates,
            there would have been a greater turnout in 2004. They are not serious! So
            I will go with the Independents. I have a doctor's appointment and will
            check the FSP later on.

            Sandy

            _____