I have to give her credit for even brining it up! Now....lets see who follows up and actually does ANYTHING about it!!!!!

  • Denise Bensusan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2005
      Senator says she's asked for opinions on Bush impeachment
      http://rawstory.com/admin/dbscripts/printstory.php?story=1608
      12/19/2005 @ 5:57 pm
      Filed by RAW STORY

      Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) has become the first in the Senate to raise consideration of impeachment of President George W. Bush for authorizing spying on Americans without warrants, RAW STORY has learned.

      In a release issued this evening, Boxer said she's asked "four presidential scholars" for their opinion on impeachment after former White Housel counsel John Dean -- made famous by his role in revealing the Watergate tapes -- asserted that President Bush had 'admitted' to an 'impeachable offense.'

      Boxer isn't the first congressmember today to float the word. Earlier today, Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) said Bush should be impeached if he broke the law in the spying program. The liberal California senator has tangled with Bush before -- earlier this year, she challenged the president's Ohio electoral votes.

      Boxer's statement, acquired by RAW STORY, follows.

      #
      BOXER ASKS PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLARS ABOUT FORMER WHITE HOUSE COUNSEL�S STATEMENT THAT BUSH ADMITTED TO AN �IMPEACHABLE OFFENSE�

      Washington, D.C.� U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) today asked four presidential scholars for their opinion on former White House Counsel John Dean�s statement that President Bush admitted to an �impeachable offense� when he said he authorized the National Security Agency to spy on Americans without getting a warrant from a judge.

      Boxer said, �I take very seriously Mr. Dean�s comments, as I view him to be an expert on Presidential abuse of power. I am expecting a full airing of this matter by the Senate in the very near future.�

      Boxer�s letter is as follows:

      #
      On December 16, along with the rest of America, I learned that President Bush authorized the National Security Agency to spy on Americans without getting a warrant from a judge. President Bush underscored his support for this action in his press conference today.

      On Sunday, December 18, former White House Counsel John Dean and I participated in a public discussion that covered many issues, including this surveillance. Mr. Dean, who was President Nixon�s counsel at the time of Watergate, said that President Bush is �the first President to admit to an impeachable offense.� Today, Mr. Dean confirmed his statement.

      This startling assertion by Mr. Dean is especially poignant because he experienced first hand the executive abuse of power and a presidential scandal arising from the surveillance of American citizens.

      Given your constitutional expertise, particularly in the area of presidential impeachment, I am writing to ask for your comments and thoughts on Mr. Dean�s statement.

      Unchecked surveillance of American citizens is troubling to both me and many of my constituents. I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter as soon as possible.

      Sincerely,
      Barbara Boxer
      United States Senator

      Denise

      Denise Bensusan
      SPEAK OUT ARIZONA
      A Not for Profit Community Active Publication
      http://www.frontiernet.net/~denise.bensusan/