Six Degrees of Separation

  • Kat Dillon
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2005
      I read recently of an experiment done which showed
      that that anyone on the planet can be connected to any
      other person on the planet through a chain of
      acquaintances that has no more than five
      intermediaries. I'd like to do another experiment.
      In order to get this message out to everyone on the
      internet, all it would take is for each person who
      receives this to forward it to everyone in his/her
      address book. Take a minute to read and forward this
      and help me with my experiment! If you like, you can
      also add a comment on this webpage to show how widely
      this message had been distributed.

      Kat Dillon

      Migrate for Freedom!

      by Kat Dillon � Updated May 24, 2005

      What would cause a group of ordinary citizens to
      uproot family, leave jobs and friends to move to New
      Hampshire? It would have to be something important.
      Yet 6,500 individuals so far have pledged to do so.
      Though none are required by their pledge to move until
      we have 20,000 pledgers, 104 people have already made
      the move. I myself left a quite comfortable
      situation in Texas and moved with my daughter to New
      Hampshire in June 2004.

      Why are all these people taking this drastic step? We
      are part of the Free State Project
      (http://www.freestateproject.org), a group of people
      concerned about the ever growing intrusion by
      government on the private lives of citizens. The Free
      State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more
      liberty-oriented people will move to New Hampshire,
      where they may work within the political system to
      reduce the size and scope of government. The success
      of the Free State Project would likely entail
      reductions in burdensome taxation and regulation,
      reforms in state and local law, an end to federal
      mandates, and a restoration of constitutional
      federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to
      the rest of the nation and the world.

      Moving for the cause of freedom is nothing new. Jason
      Sorens, founder and Chairman of the Board for the Free
      State Project points out, "The whole American
      experience is based on migrating for freedom. That's
      what most of the immigrants who came to our shores
      were doing. They wanted a better life, and that's
      exactly what we're doing." From that movement sprang
      the greatest nation this planet has ever seen. Nowhere
      else was it recognized that individual rights are
      inherent and inalienable, not a whim of those in power
      to bless us with or take away. Nowhere else has the
      protection of those rights led to such a prosperous

      The problem is that daily, we see our brothers
      sacrificing their inherent rights for the illusion of
      safety. Our citizens have forgotten their power. They
      have forgotten that their rights are not given them by
      the government, so they accept it blindly when the
      government takes away those rights. The founding
      fathers were aware of this problem. Benjamin Franklin
      once said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty,
      to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither
      Liberty nor Safety."

      When we give up our 4th Amendment rights for
      legislation like the Patriot Act, we open ourselves up
      to something far more terrifying than a few
      terrorists. We open ourselves up to the full force of
      the U.S. being used against its own citizens. If you
      believe the Patriot Act will only be used against
      terrorists, you've buried your head in the sand. As
      H.L. Mencken wrote, "The whole aim of practical
      politics is to keep the populace alarmed - and hence
      clamorous to be led to safety - by menacing it with an
      endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
      Sound familiar? Are you tiring yet of the elevated
      security alerts, vague warnings of imminent terrorist
      attacks? As John Stossel reminds us, "Patrick Henry
      did not say, 'Give me absolute safety or give me

      When was the last time you read the Constitution or
      the Bill of Rights? At the very least, read through
      the Bill of Rights. You'll be hard pressed to find any
      that the U.S. government is not now violating. You
      might be surprised to learn what some of your rights

      As dire as the violation of our rights is, the fed's
      trampling of our economic freedoms are almost harder
      to bear. Let me give you a small example. A friend
      wanted to start a restaurant here in Dallas. He was
      all ready to go, wanted to provide his excellent
      service to the people of Dallas, provide a few jobs.
      It took nearly a year after his being ready to satisfy
      government regulations and open his business. After
      moving the business, remodeling to suit regulations,
      getting all the necessary permits, etc., he was
      finally ALLOWED to sell food. This small example is
      multiplied a million times over in every business
      across the nation. Is the illusion of safety worth
      having our hands tied? Does the government actually
      protect you? Wouldn't it be better to take
      responsibility for your own life and safety? It is the
      impossible weight of government regulation and
      taxation that is driving our economy down, not greedy
      capitalists, as we are told.

      The U.S. left the gold standard in 1933. This allowed
      the government to print money on a whim. When money is
      printed without being backed by gold or silver, it
      loses its value. That is what creates inflation.
      Notice how prices have been rising in the past few
      months, everything across the board costs more? That
      is the price we all pay when the printing presses are

      How did schools become a government operation? Any
      time you ask government to solve a problem that the
      free market can solve itself, you will find the
      problem solved inefficiently and often with
      corruption. An individual will be cautious with his
      own money and investments. Government, which takes its
      wealth by force, is like a rich son who, not having to
      work for his money, squanders it thoughtlessly.

      The Free State Project proposes to take education out
      of the hands of government, precisely because it is
      too important to be left to that rich philandering
      son, the state. Already we have in place private means
      to fund schools in New Hampshire. The Liberty
      Scholarship Fund (http://lsfund.org) has been set up
      as a first step to providing privately funded
      alternatives to the public schools.

      With all these problems facing our once magnificent
      nation, what can be done? Voting has not been
      effective. The individuals who see through the media
      smoke screen are scattered. Legislation is heavily
      against allowing third parties to run for office.
      Fighting for our freedom is not an attractive option,
      even though the abuses we endure are far greater than
      those that spurred the American Revolution. So our
      proposal is to gather those scattered individuals who
      understand the benefits of freedom. If we can create a
      haven for freedom in just one state, it will serve as
      a shining example to the rest of the nation, and the
      world. If you value your individual rights and your
      pocketbook, please check us out.

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. � Albert Einstein

      --New Hampshire Underground

      Do You Yahoo!?