No need to pull punches

  • Olehenry1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      Hi Chris and Steph,

      Steph wrote:
      >I am struggling to keep head above water, financially, not because
      >there is so much water in AZ. I am only here (very reluctantly) in
      >AZ for as short a time as possible. I loath it here. I want 4
      >seasons, a garden, property where I can be self and community
      >sustaining. I believe in close community values."

      You miss fall, winter, and spring...understandably. The east coast
      really puts on a show all three seasons, no doubt. And a desert
      garden...yuck! What horrible watermelons the deserts produce!! Too
      bad the north has a short growing season as well. Maybe you'd
      loathe less Florida or California?
      Sunshine is one thing that brought me out to the desert...solar
      energy in abundance, along the lines of self sustainment. I sure
      don't want to have a community to sustain, but over time networking
      will occur. There are 3.5 million people in this little metro, and
      not all of them know why they want what they want. A little proof
      to the thinkers, now that's a marketing strategy.
      I also believe "close community values" exist.

      >Neighbors helping neighbors with co-opt idea, also heavily into
      >barter.

      Read some stuff on www.selfsip.org Take my word for it?: it's a
      VERY WELL-written site about these very ideas!

      >I am not closed to NH, just evaluating all possibilities ex: AZ and
      >many other states. I am totally against developers, H.O.A's or any
      >other form of controls on personal property.

      Some people are not against them, and actually decide to join them.
      It's each individual's choice, right? You don't have to join, and I
      (and Chris I'd guess) encourage you to not join.

      >Oh and Chris I am over 45...fyi.

      How much over 45? I kid, I kid...

      So, how high are the property tax rates out there? What about sales
      tax, gas tax, income tax, estate tax, and so on? I've not
      researched NH yet, but I plan to soon.

      >If any of you wish to have a meet & greet for fun and discussion, I
      >would love to , however I am away from this heat as much as I can
      >be, so will be traveling away from AZ for next cpl of months.

      I'm not sure I'd like to meet. I like being able to email ideas.
      However, if either of you plays tennis or volleyball somewhere, I'd
      like to meet up for that. For now, my schedule is chockfull, but
      I'd like to fit in more time to exercise (tennisorvolleyball).

      "Chris" <cbp429@h...> wrote:
      > I have had to pull my punches and be nice my entire life so I will
      > be damned if I pull them here on this internet post that no one
      > reads, potential friends be damned.

      Good call. I have no desire to interact with those who hide. Feel
      free to be free with me, as I only "take offense" when one ceases to
      use reality as proof.

      > Arizona is the #1 police state in the union.

      Please expand this sentence. Compare it with the other 49 as I have
      little knowledge of states statutues other than Indiana, Arizona,
      Texas, and New Mexico.

      > A recruitment strategy for the churches is to have you arrested
      > for something dumb (a joint, etc) then force Christianity on you
      > in one of the "prison outreach" programs.

      Please point to the statute (law), cases, churches, or you
      know, "proof". Have you had experience with this enforcement? I
      agree, it sounds disgusting.

      > Arizona is a lost cause. The people in Arizona hate freedom, sex,
      > and fun.

      I happen to be in Arizona.

      > NH has high property taxes but after 20,000 freedom lovers move in
      > there will be almost no taxes.

      How high? I haven't had the time to investigate yet.

      > I am between 27 and 35,. "Live in chains of move out of
      > Arizona" CHRIS

      I'm between 26 and 26.5. Read, read again, then analyze our US
      Constitution and Codified Law, then New Hampshire's Constitution,
      even Arizona's for that matter. It seems likely that an American
      either live in chains or live in shackles.

      Happy researching!

      -Jack-
    • Olehenry1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
        Hey gang,

        I took some time this morning to look up residential tax rates in
        New Hampshire and Arizona. Feast your eyes on this!

        NH:
        "Resident tax": $10/year
        "Education": 1/2% (see "property tax" below)
        "Sales Tax": none (others with none: Alaska, Delaware, Montana,
        Oregon, and Colorado with 2.9%)
        "Income Tax": 5% on any interest or dividends
        4% on all income made in all other states
        "Property Tax": depends on city, anywhere between 1 and 4.4% of
        total property value PLUS a 1/2% for education
        "Open space" Tax: 10% (any prive property so deemed by public)

        AZ:
        "Sales Tax": 5.6%+city tax(goes up depending on city from 6.3-10%)
        "Income Tax": from 2.87% to 5.04% on all income
        "Property Tax": depends on city; state base rate: 4.07%, add county
        rate usually under 1.5%, then add city rate. Scottsdale for
        example, is at 9.68%.

        If Joe Blow made as an employee $150,000 in either state, $25,000 of
        that from interest and dividends, and spent 40% of income on retail
        stuff w/in Joe's own state, and owned $200,000 worth of property in
        the state, here's the comparison of STATE taxes, (not including fed)

        Total collected by state of NH: $1250, $9800, $10 = $11,060
        About 7.3% of Joe's income went to the state of NH.
        Total collected by state of AZ: $7500, $19200, $4500 = $31,200
        About 21% of Joe's income went to the state of AZ.

        If Joel Blowl made as an employee $20,000 in either state, $600 of
        that from interest and dividends, and spent 40% of income on retail
        stuff w/in Joel's state, and owned no property in the state, here's
        the comparison of STATE taxes, (not including fed)

        Total collected by state of NH: $30, $10 = $40
        About 2/10's of 1 percent of Joel's income went to the state of NH.
        Total collected by state of AZ: $540, $776 = $1316
        About 6.6% of Joel's income went to the state of AZ.

        Would a rich person rather be taxed in Arizona or New Hampshire?!!

        Pretty amazing stuff! As long as the rich stay in Arizona, the
        relatively poor do have access to millions of dollars worth of
        services. In New Hampshire, these services do not exist. Depends
        on what culture you like to live in...free stuff or earned stuff.

        I'd say based on this comparison, New Hampshire is certainly
        relatively tax free! Woooowhoooo!!

        Jack-