RE: [fourcornersporcupines] Organizing in the four corners region.

  • gabe barrio
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2004
      I am for a universal health care plan much like canada
      has right now.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Eric Mytko
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
        Are you familiar with MSAs, or Medical Savings Accounts? I've just begun
        researching these, and so far I'm intrigued. I don't have any links to
        post, but I will when I think I know what I'm talking about. I like
        universal healthcare as well, as I have come to think of it as a right under
        life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Health is wealth, after all.
        It's just that my libertarian leaning brain doesn't get it yet. If a
        universal healthcare plan was administered by the private sector and had an
        oversight committee or something I think I could go along. It just seems
        like a good idea waiting to be usurped by a bunch of bad men in the current
        social, economic and political climate.

        Eric

        --- Eric Mytko <mytko@...> wrote:
        > I agree, and I work for drug law reform most every
        > day of my life. How
        > about income tax law reform or abolishment as well?
        > I'm curious, though,
        > what kind of reforms you might be talking about as
        > far as healthcare, coming
        > from a libertarian angle?
        >
        > Eric Mytko

        http://photos.yahoo.com/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Robert Heidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
          Universal health care is a fiasco waiting to happen. The health
          care system in Canada, long held up as the "standard" by which all
          health plans are measured, is in terrible shape. Did you know that
          there are more MRI machines per capita south of the border (Mexico and
          South America) than in all of Canada? To get an MRI in Canada, plan on
          waiting anywhere between 12 to 14 weeks. People tend to die before ever
          getting diagnosed (which I guess saves money in the long run).
          In some provinces, 1/3 of their GROSS revenues is going to health
          care coverage, and this does not include the costs of kidney dialysis
          care. If you are over a certain age, your dialysis is no longer
          covered. Sorry about that. Cheap drugs, you say? Only because the
          government subsidizes the purchase of said drugs. So, the people are
          paying again, in the end.
          Off the record, many of Canada's senior officials in their Health
          Care System have conceded that they would travel to Seattle,
          Minneapolis, or Buffalo if they had cancer or heart problems. Not
          exactly a ringing endorsement for the standard in Universal Health care,
          is it?
          Removing the profit motive (the free market) stifles innovation,
          both in the development of medical procedures and new "miracle" drugs.
          Invariably, the newest procedures, drugs, and research come out of the
          money grubbing private sector.
          Universal health care? I'll pass, thank you.

          Bob