Re: [fourcornersporcupines] Open Letter to Free Staters

  • Richard McKnight
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18 11:16 AM
      Gary,

      Wow. You manage to question my commitment AND patronize me all in one
      email. How ambitious. And all wrapped up in a tidy little package that
      only took four months to deliver. Ah, the mysteries of cyberspace!

      >If someone opts out, that means they CHOOSE not to be affiliated, which in
      >turn connotes they >are free to associate with whom and where they wish.

      Either you misunderstood my email completely or I failed to adequately
      convey my feelings. I agree that individuals are free to associate with
      whoever they wish as long as no one else is interfered with or harmed.
      However, as a member of the original Free State Project, I also have the
      right to be pissed off that copycat organizations are popping up all over
      the place and decreasing our odds of success. There are a limited number of
      hardcore freedom seekers that are willing to move somewhere for just one
      shot and with every copycat organization that pops up, all of our chances of
      success go down. (Free Territory Project? You must be kidding me.) The
      whole idea behind this effort was concentration, and here we go diluting it.
      I know and agree that the others are not �wrong� in any true libertarian
      sense, but that does not mean that I have to like it or not express my
      feelings about it.

      >It'll be OK. Take two aspirin and continue your fight for freedom! If you
      >feel so strongly about it >then go to NH now.

      How dare you question MY commitment! I signed up to move IF 20,000 people
      sign up and we have a legitimate shot at making a real change. Why would I
      leave AZ to try to make a difference in NH when I am busy trying to make a
      difference in AZ? I�m active in my county party, am running for county
      office, routinely contact elected officials and like AZ whereas I�m not all
      that fond of the northeast. I have no idea what your motive was in
      suggesting I move to NH now, but I read it to be condescending.

      >Regardless, if I can't make a decent living in either place (NH then WY)
      >then I'd leave both. I >can't politic effectively while standing in a soup
      >line.

      Where did this come from? I would never fault anyone that made an honest
      effort to live up to the commitment. Even if they failed to do so. It is
      the intentional dilution of effort that I am irritated with.

      >In the mean time...fight the good fight.

      Count on it. You do the same.

      Rich McKnight

      Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
      locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx