Open Letter to Free Staters and Freedom Activists - long

  • ftully
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2003
      Open Letter to Free Staters and Freedom Activists

      My hat is off the Boston T. Party for his quick action in taking the lead in
      the Wyoming Free State. Like Boston, I also have been researching "free"
      states since 1997. My research was not to influence or lead a political
      wave, or to encourage others to join me, it was so that I could take my
      family to the place with the best opportunity for freedom in their lifetime.
      Like Boston, my research also led me to believe that Wyoming had no equal.

      When I learned of the FSP, I was very excited. Until I joined and attended
      one of their functions, I had no idea that there were others in the US who
      felt the way I did and who were willing to risk everything to pursue
      freedom. What a great feeling I had at the Western FSP meeting.

      During the meeting, several of the speakers - most notably Vin, JJ, and
      Clair, pointed out that our endeavor was likely to be difficult, dangerous,
      and possibly fatal. All heads nodded as though they already realized that
      and were willing to push on anyway. However, some of us realized that the
      biggest obstacle was not going to be external forces, but internal ones.
      Having been involved with the LP for as long as I have, this was somehow not
      news. Now, in fact, we are seeing that premonition come to pass.

      The fact is, and many have pointed this out, that there are folks who will
      never agree to live in the east. I am one of them. While I admit that I have
      been extremely conflicted over the past three months, and nearly considered
      biting the bullet and joining the rest of the glass eaters in NH, I never
      felt comfortable about it. Somehow, it doesn't seem right or natural for me.
      Likewise, I know that there are many folks who would consider life in
      Wyoming to be an unbearable sentence. So, what's the problem? Now, we can
      truly accommodate everyone. Those who prefer city life can move to NH and
      not feel as though they are making too great a sacrifice. Those who like the
      western lifestyle and recognize that the numbers make more sense in Wyoming
      can stay in the west. The truth is that if those folks who passionately
      wanted NH to win were enticed to move to WYO, they would likely not fit in
      too well and could potentially do more harm than good. The same is true of
      folks like me. I would probably not fit in well in NH and might
      inadvertently hurt the very cause that I wish to promote.

      When I began to actively read and contribute to the on line forums, I
      realized that the sniping and backbiting wasn't going to get people to
      change their minds and want to move to NH, it was only driving a wider wedge
      between a group who already had irreconcilable differences. Eventually, I
      stopped participating in the forum for those very reasons. In fact, I
      wouldn't be surprised if 90 percent of the folks in the west who were
      involved in the FSP did the same. But let's stop looking at a Wyoming Free
      State as an adversary or a competitor to the NH FSP, let's instead
      acknowledge it as a great opportunity. Now, the 1000 folks who opted out of
      eastern states don't have to sit around an wait for NH to get their 20,000
      members before they begin working on a western project (like we ever planned
      to sit on our hands and wait). We can begin today.

      Let's agree that as libertarians and individuals we will never agree on
      which is best - east or west. Let's do both. Let's give everyone who desires
      a Free State the opportunity to work with the group in NH where jobs and
      access to cities and modern conveniences are plentiful or with the rural
      Wyoming group where the population is smaller, and life is simpler. Let's
      stop trying to convince folks to see things "our way". The 4300 folks who
      joined the NH FSP have a commitment. They pledged that they would see the
      project through. They need to honor that commitment. Those of us who opted
      out of NH and refused to rejoin when Jason contacted us should not be
      berated for trying to extend the scope of Jason's original idea, we should
      be encouraged and even appreciated. The fact that so many people want to
      emulate the FSP by starting a western group should be very flattering.

      Why is it that so many Libertarians understand the concept that a
      Libertarian vote is not a wasted vote, but have such a difficult time
      understanding that a Wyoming Free State is not a blow against the NH FSP?
      Let me make it very simple. We all voted, and some opted out. Now, some of
      us who opted out recognize that we will NEVER agree to move east. Joining a
      WYO FSP in no way hurts the FSP, it only gives it another opportunity to
      succeed.

      I would encourage those in the NH FSP to suck it up. Whining about a Wyoming
      group or character attacks on those who support it will not help your cause
      in any way. While you may be steamed, try to look at the positives. I
      encourage you to offer an olive branch to Boston, to encourage those
      unwilling to live in NH to consider Wyoming and to lend moral support to
      each other during this difficult time. Neither project will be easy. Save
      all your energy for a fight you can win. Don't give the media or
      non-believers any indication that we are incapable of even getting along
      with each other. If we can't learn to tolerate the differences of opinion
      amongst ourselves, what chance do we have of influencing the political
      opinion of a state?

      Fran Tully
      State Chair
      LP Utah
      ftully@...
      ______
      Quote:
      - I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --
      Will Rogers

      - If you are not outraged you are not paying attention -- Unknown

      Hi Fran,

      What a very nice letter! I especially appreciated its
      conciliatory tone--a needed contrast to my acerbic
      communiques, no doubt.

      I hope that it has the intended effect.

      I'm glad to have quality folks like you aboard for the
      Wyoming effort! Thanks again for taking the time to
      compose your letter to the brethren.

      Molon Labe!
      Boston
    • Richard McKnight
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
        >Open Letter to Free Staters and Freedom Activists

        We must hang together or we will surely hang separately.

        You can whitewash this all you want, but I still regard this as a stab in
        the back. Chances for success were already low and now the chance for
        success of the original FSP is cut by 50%. I'm not thrilled with NH either,
        but I'm willing to go if the cause gains enough support (the 20,000 members
        that I have pledged to) and it gives me even a small chance of making a
        difference.

        Rich McKnight

        Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
        now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
      • Gary Shumway
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
          >I would encourage those in the NH FSP to suck it up. Whining about a
          >Wyoming
          >group or character attacks on those who support it will not help your cause
          >in any way. While you may be steamed, try to look at the positives. I
          >encourage you to offer an olive branch to Boston, to encourage those
          >unwilling to live in NH to consider Wyoming and to lend moral support to
          >each other during this difficult time. Neither project will be easy. Save
          >all your energy for a fight you can win. Don't give the media or
          >non-believers any indication that we are incapable of even getting along
          >with each other. If we can't learn to tolerate the differences of opinion
          >amongst ourselves, what chance do we have of influencing the political
          >opinion of a state?
          >
          >Fran Tully
          >State Chair
          >LP Utah
          >ftully@...

          Hear hear Fran.
          This infighting is playing into the hands of the very real opponents...why
          can't we humans (my group is better than your group) understand that?
          Gary Shumway

          Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
          good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
        • Gary Shumway
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
            >From: "Richard McKnight" <whiteknight1974@...>
            >To: fourcornersporcupines@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [fourcornersporcupines] Open Letter to Free Staters and
            >Freedom Activists - long
            >Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:20:53 -0700
            >
            > >Open Letter to Free Staters and Freedom Activists
            >
            >We must hang together or we will surely hang separately.
            >
            >You can whitewash this all you want, but I still regard this as a stab in
            >the back. Chances for success were already low and now the chance for
            >success of the original FSP is cut by 50%. I'm not thrilled with NH
            >either,
            >but I'm willing to go if the cause gains enough support (the 20,000 members
            >that I have pledged to) and it gives me even a small chance of making a
            >difference.
            >
            >Rich McKnight

            Rich,
            Your points are well taken but will you please show me where in Fran's email
            he proposed that those who had pledged to go to NH forsake that pledge and
            go to WY instead? If someone opts out, that means they CHOOSE not to be
            affiliated, which in turn connotes they are free to associate with whom and
            where they wish.
            It'll be OK. Take two aspirin and continue your fight for freedom!
            If you feel so strongly about it then go to NH now. I too took the pledge
            to go NH (third choice vote and didn't opt out) thus I am a glass eater as
            I'd really rather go to WY (my first choice). Regardless, if I can't make a
            decent living in either place (NH then WY) then I'd leave both. I can't
            politic effectively while standing in a soup line. Of course, I can go to
            WY until there are 20K pledged for NH (just as, apparently, you're going to
            stay where you are until then).
            In the mean time...fight the good fight.
            Gary Shumway

            Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds, free
            parking. http://shopping.msn.com