October Resistance Dates

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hey, folks – there’s several upcoming dates for fighting against police
      repression in Phoenix. There are still trial dates left over from last
      spring’s anti-war demonstrations and events to help fight against police
      brutality in the Phoenix Metro area. There have been a rash of new
      lethal police shootings in the past few months, as well as nation-wide
      escalation of police-state tactics in the past year. Please join Phoenix
      Copwatch <www.phoenixcopwatch.org> and others for these upcoming events.

      October 9th, 2003 – 1:30pm –300 W. Washington
      Radical Cheerleader Amy <http://www.arizona.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/8000>
      has her final court date from the International Womens’ Day anti-war
      march. Remember when the police attacked the group of folks crossing
      Roosevelt and peacefully walking back to the park? This is the day to
      come out and show solidarity for one of those randomly picked off from
      the crowd.

      ------------From Amy-----------------------

      Howdy,

      I would love it some folks would come out to what I hope is my final
      court appearance to deal with my arrest from March 8th (7 months and 4
      appearances later). The trial is on Oct. 9, 1:30PM, at the PHX Municipal
      Court, 300 W Washington, court room #503. Please come in your Sunday
      best and on your best behavior. hahah kidding, but my lawyer has asked
      that I request that folk who come in support help a sister out by not
      raising a ruckus.
      thanks,
      Amy

      October 11th, 2003 – 3:00 – 5:0pm - ASU Law School Room 105 - McAllister
      & Orange
      Globalization and Its Discontents:
      From the WTO in Cancun to the FTAA in Miami
      Luis Fernandez, Sue Hilderbran, and Geoff Boyce
      Activists present in Cancun for the WTO meetings

      The World Trade Organization (WTO) recently met with failure in Cancun
      as it attempted to open up agricultural markets across the world.
      Activists from all over the globe (including farmers from Mexico, Brazil,
      and Korea, as well as activists from Italy, U.S., and Australia) turned
      out to protest corporate globalization and to disrupt the WTO meeting.
      By the time the meetings ended, one activist was dead, and a group of
      poor nations stood in solidarity against the riches nations of the world.
      Come hear local activists from Arizona provide an inside view of the
      WTO protests. They will present a slide show and screen an Indymedia
      film entitled Kilometer 0. For further information contact
      socmove@.... <www.localtoglobaljustice.org>

      October 17th, 2003 – 1:00pm – Central Court Bldg – Jefferson & 2nd Ave
      Room 801 – Judge Wes Anderson

      Come out to support local artist Lauren for her sentencing trial for
      felony charges for “criminal damage” for defacing the pro-war Clear
      Channel billboard on Central and Thomas.

      October 22nd, 2003– 5:00pm – Patriots Square Park

      “Join with us on October 22, 2003 <www.october22.org>, to make the 8th
      Annual National Day of Protest to Stop Police Brutality, Repression and
      the Criminalization of a Generation a day which cannot be ignored, a day
      which will open the eyes of many people across the country to the
      continuing epidemic of police brutality and repression. In city after
      city across the U.S., thousands of people will hold demonstrations,
      rallies, marches, forums, workshops, concerts, art shows, organizing
      meetings, and more, to reach out to and involve millions more. We will
      use the pictures, stories and statistics from the Stolen Lives Project
      to let people know of the horrors and outrages which are being kept from
      their sight, and call on them to be a part of fighting back to stop
      this national epidemic. We will WEAR BLACK! to symbolize our mourning
      for those whose lives have been stolen from us, and speak for those who
      can no longer speak for themselves.”
      - From the October 22nd Website.

      STOP Police Brutality Party
      With local hip hop artists Ill Phoenix, FNX Underground, & DJ Saurus
      Outdoors at Fate - 4th Ave, South of Roosevelt – 8pm - $4 or Less
      Know Your Rights with Suzanne Sanchez
      Live Art Raffles by Typoe Dumper & Friends

      November 16th & 23rd – 2:00 – 4:00pm
      Upcoming Phoenix Copwatch Trainings
      Willow House – 5th Ave & McDowell in Phoenix
      RSVP at copwatch602@...

      Are you ready to commit some time and effort to help fight police
      brutality on the streets of Phoenix? Phoenix is one of the largest
      cities in the United States with NO independent review board for police
      officers. We had the most police killings per capita of any city in the
      US last year. The police hold an enormous amount of power in our society.
      And, as with any power that goes unchecked, it is likely to be abused.
      Phoenix Copwatch is the longest patrolling on-the-streets copwatch in
      the nation and is commited to ending police brutality and racial
      profiling. If you can’t join, but want to donate <www.phoenixcopwatch.org/donate.html>
      , we can always use the help!

      And – don’t forget – in December:
      December 16th, 2003 – Free Laro <www.phoenixcopwatch.org/freelaro.htm>

      Laro Nicol may finally have his day in court, facing down the state and
      its paid informants, on December 16th. If you know Laro personally,
      please write a solidarity letter to Judge Rosenblatt and send them via
      the attorney Doug Passon:
      Federal Public Defenders
      Douglas A. Passon
      222 North Central Avenue
      Suite 810
      Phoenix, AZ 85004

      And I believe that a lost ship,
      steered by tired, seasick sailors,
      can still be guided home
      to port. - Assatta Shakur
    • Craig Wright
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2003
        So the question is... how can someone that is a member of a libertarian
        group be against globalization? Maybe I'm misled, but it seems that a
        globalized economy is simply a consequence of believing in the free
        market.

        -Craig.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
          Ahhh, good point... I'd tend to agree, except for the fact that most
          attendees are government finance ministers and the like. Even if it were
          100% private sector attendance, they would be plotting to use government
          force to manipulate trade.

          IMO they are fair targets for libertarian scrutiny.

          So the question is... how can someone that is a member of a libertarian
          group be against globalization? Maybe I'm misled, but it seems that a
          globalized economy is simply a consequence of believing in the free
          market.

          -Craig.

          On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 05:37 PM, Kate wrote:

          > October 11th, 2003 – 3:00 – 5:0pm - ASU Law School Room 105 -
          > McAllister
          > & Orange
          > Globalization and Its Discontents:
          > >From the WTO in Cancun to the FTAA in Miami
          > Luis Fernandez, Sue Hilderbran, and Geoff Boyce
          > Activists present in Cancun for the WTO meetings
          >
          > The World Trade Organization (WTO) recently met with failure in Cancun
          > as it attempted to open up agricultural markets across the world.
          > Activists from all over the globe (including farmers from Mexico,
          > Brazil,
          > and Korea, as well as activists from Italy, U.S., and Australia)
          turned
          > out to protest corporate globalization and to disrupt the WTO meeting.
          > By the time the meetings ended, one activist was dead, and a group of
          > poor nations stood in solidarity against the riches nations of the
          > world.
          > Come hear local activists from Arizona provide an inside view of the
          > WTO protests. They will present a slide show and screen an Indymedia
          > film entitled Kilometer 0. For further information contact
          > socmove@....  <www.localtoglobaljustice.org>

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kate
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
            All,
            I think Rick brings up a good point, there. Also, that was one date among many. Just went to a meeting of the Tucson Copwatch and have to say I was pleased to see the work down there.

            So, what are some of the things people are planning on doing when they get to NH?
            ~ Kate*

            "Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's minds and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead."
            --Arundhati Roy

            Message: 4